Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Baby bump too big

91 replies

Worriednearlymum · 07/07/2017 13:51

Posting for traffic and a hand hold.

First baby and I'm 37 weeks. So far all straightforward and I've been lucky. My normal midwife has been very supportive and not concerned with my raised bmi of over 30 as otherwise healthy and baby doing well.

Saw another midwife yesterday and she's referred me for a growth scan as bump is too big. She says it's hard to measure accurately as I'm fat and that she wants to have a check. Previously checked for DM and all ok.

Whilst I'm grateful for the NHS and availability of additional checks I'm petrified I've harmed the baby or I'm going to have a huge 12lb baby. I feel like I've let everyone down and I'm not cut out to be a mum. I've been upset since I saw her yesterday and still have until middle of next week before scan.

Has anyone else been here and it's been ok. Sorry for the long post.

OP posts:
Lim0ne · 07/07/2017 14:25

Please don't worry OP. This is so common. I was sent for 2 growth scans in the last few weeks as measuring too small. They said the baby would be 4-5 lbs - she was 7lbs 5!

ny20005 · 07/07/2017 14:25

Try not to worry - they get these so wrong al the time

I was never measured by midwife on my first - I raised concerns about big baby & was dismissed & told I was having normal baby - he was 10lb 4 !

Next baby I was measuring much bigger - csection at 37.5 & measured 47cm ! Baby was only 9.3 & I had tonnes of fluid !

LastOneDancing · 07/07/2017 14:26

I had a huge bump & went for scans. I was told I was having a 10lb+ baby... nope, 8lb 7.

But when my waters went it was like that bit in Titanic when the corridors flood.
And I was in a Costa Coffee.

Lim0ne · 07/07/2017 14:27

And larger babies aren't necessarily harder to deliver. It depends more on the size of the head! Plus the way the baby is lying / coming out.

Spam88 · 07/07/2017 14:29

I was measuring big at my 36 week appointment. Was referred for a growth scan where we were told the baby was currently 7 1/2 lbs. Baby was born at 40+1 weighing 6lb 14oz. Honestly, it's all so inaccurate I really wouldn't worry.

krustykittens · 07/07/2017 14:31

I wasn't overweight with my first, no one said my bump was to big, she came out 9Ibs 6 ounces! Vaginal birth, both of us fine and healthy. Please don't worry. xx

TheFrenchLieutenantsMonkey · 07/07/2017 14:34

With DC3 I went for lots of growth scans as they said she was huge. It's not a nice feeling when the sonographer looks at the screen and says "oh my god!"
Midwife measured me when she induced me. Supposed to be a centimetre per week. I was 39 weeks. I measure 58 ... I'm obviously an elephant in disguise 😁
When DC3 made an appearance after induction I was waiting for the the weight announcement
"11lbs"
"Is that all?!" Was my reply. Midwife just looked at me like Confused
The way they'd all been carrying on I thought I was on the way to birthing at least a small hippo. She was no more difficult to give birth to than DC1 who was 8lb 9.
So don't worry. Look at it as another chance to see your lo before actually meeting them.

BarbarianMum · 07/07/2017 14:36

I certainly don't think you are a terrible person but I think that, if you midwife thinks the baby will be a big one, you should open yourself to the possibility she is right because actually she probably is.

My midwife said big, scan said no, normal, I went 10 days overdue and baby was 10lb 8oz. Birth was straightforward and quite quick (my second) but I did need forceps and I did tear quite badly.

I'm not telling you this to scare you only to say, keep it in mind as you make decisions approaching and during the birth. The fact that my midwife kept me moving during labour was probably the reason I avoided a csection (baby was OP as well as big - not a good combo). She also told me that, should i have a similarly sized pregnancy (my bump was massive) in future, they'd recommend induction at 38 weeks. Personally i doubt I'd agree to that, unless there were other reasons, but certainly I'd not go over 40 weeks again.

hiccupgirl · 07/07/2017 14:38

Tr not too worrying, I'm sure everything will be fine.

I was overweight when I had my DS and my bump was measuring 5 weeks ahead by 34 weeks. This was because DS had been breech from very early on and was sitting really high up. I could hardly breathe by the time he turned at 36 weeks as he was right up against my lungs.

I had lots of extra scans due to his position and he was measuring large on the scans - he came out at 7lb 14 at 40+2 so hardly huge.

Kirbs1979 · 07/07/2017 14:40

Like everyone has said don't worry. I have a high BMI and had regular growth scans due to my age (37 at the time) and weight during my second pregnancy. I was told that she was on track to be at least the same as her sister who was 8lbs 1oz but probably bigger, DD2 was 6lbs 3oz when she was born so they aren't always accurate.

Boring12 · 07/07/2017 14:43

The measurements are not reliable. I was told I had a big baby and she was born at 8.7 so not huge at all. I did have extra waters in there though, if that's the case then you will just need extra monitoring during labour. I was around 36 weeks when they found I was measuring a bit bigger. Just take it as another chance to see your little one, hope all goes well for you Flowers

Pigface1 · 07/07/2017 14:44

These measurements are so inaccurate I almost wonder what value they have. A friend of mine was induced on her due date because the baby was 'worryingly small'. She went through an extremely painful and unpleasant induction to be presented with an 8lb 6oz baby girl.

neveradullmoment99 · 07/07/2017 14:49

Please dont be upset about this. Some midwives are really insensitive. I was told my baby was going to be big. Turned out he was average. In my experiences, scans and measuring can still be inacurate. Baby will be fine and you will forget all about this once your baby is born.

Butteredparsnip1ps · 07/07/2017 14:49

Echoing what others have said. It's not an exact science!

Worth getting checked out, though.

Looking forward to an update about a lovely squidgy baby! Good Luck

paxillin · 07/07/2017 14:50

I went from "bump too big" to "bump too small" in a week. Different midwife, different day. Baby was average sized as am I.

sminkypinky · 07/07/2017 14:50

The same thing happened to me when I had a new midwife late on in my pregnancy. I had to go for growth scans too. When DS was born he was 6lb 12. I think sometimes different midwives measure slightly differently so come up with strange results.

neveradullmoment99 · 07/07/2017 14:52

As for the lady that they said it to having a big baby. Well they are bound to get it right sometimes. Loads of people i have known that have had the midwife say this have had average babies.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic · 07/07/2017 14:52

I had a fundus measurement of 43 cms and gave birth at 39 weeks. I was a size 8 with a 43 inch waist having gained 50% of my bodyweight in less than 5 months! There was 8lb 10 of long lean baby and a lot of fluid. Right up to the end he was swimming around happily.

After the second growth scan, my MW measured the fundus, put the x near the top of the page nowhere near the graph and said "it must just be the way you grow"

I really did look like a weeble.

crookedhooker · 07/07/2017 14:52

DS was apparently huge from 20 odd weeks they were saying how there was so much baby he was 5lb 12ozs at birth.

ZigAZigAhh · 07/07/2017 14:55

All sounds very familiar!

My bump was measuring bang on average for DC1 and I was told to expect an average sized baby - he was 9 lb 7

Interestingly my bump for DC2 (due next month) is measuring small but according to my most recent growth scan he/she is shaping up to be a whopper. It's all so hit and miss!

TheWildRumpyPumpus · 07/07/2017 14:57

DS2 was 11lb 3oz and a quick natural delivery - I was normal BMI and no gestational diabetes, he was just big!

Christinedonna · 07/07/2017 14:57

Midwife told me I was measuring small and DD hadn't grown in weeks, sent for scan and told she was already 8lb (a few weeks before she was due) I went 8 days over and she weighed 7lb 2oz. Colleague of mine was monitored the whole way through her pregnancy, constantly being scanned, high risk pregnancy and told her baby would certainly need extra care when born as he simply wasn't growing. He weighed 7lb 10oz. I think this extra technology they have now does as much harm as good. It so inaccurate! Don't worry!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

MagicMoneyTree · 07/07/2017 14:59

Growth scans are really common, so try not to worry. Friend of mine was told to prepare for a beast and had a 7pounder- she was just all fluid (you could tell that even as a non-medical professional, so fuck knows what the mw was thinking when she said along the lines of "nope I think it's all baby") anyway all was fine and the opposite thing happened 2nd time and she did have a beast

EdmundCleverClogs · 07/07/2017 15:00

I was marginally overweight, had a small bump and ended up having a 8lb baby. My friend who was/is very slim, fit and healthy had an 'average' bump, nothing remarkable, nothing noted during pregnancy - had a very near 10lb baby. My own mother smoked during her pregnancies, her last baby was born around the 9.5lb mark (not condoning that in the slightest, we all had childhood asthma). In short, you really never know. It is best to get checked for your and baby's health but the midwife could have shown some tact!

TrueLove83 · 07/07/2017 15:00

I doubt she said you were fat.

I had a raised BMI - having a high BMI does bring additional risks to pregnancy. Better to be on the cautious side and go along for scans.

PS my skinny friend was told she had a baby on the 95th centile and told to go for scans and they were 100% right. She's usually a size 8 and put about a stone on over pregnancy baby was 8lb 12oz! So for her it was a 90th centile baby

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.