Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Baby bump too big

91 replies

Worriednearlymum · 07/07/2017 13:51

Posting for traffic and a hand hold.

First baby and I'm 37 weeks. So far all straightforward and I've been lucky. My normal midwife has been very supportive and not concerned with my raised bmi of over 30 as otherwise healthy and baby doing well.

Saw another midwife yesterday and she's referred me for a growth scan as bump is too big. She says it's hard to measure accurately as I'm fat and that she wants to have a check. Previously checked for DM and all ok.

Whilst I'm grateful for the NHS and availability of additional checks I'm petrified I've harmed the baby or I'm going to have a huge 12lb baby. I feel like I've let everyone down and I'm not cut out to be a mum. I've been upset since I saw her yesterday and still have until middle of next week before scan.

Has anyone else been here and it's been ok. Sorry for the long post.

OP posts:
curlywurlyzonedout · 07/07/2017 15:01

I had a growth scan at 37 or 38 weeks. I'm not heavy but the bump was big. Baby (apparently) weighed 8lbs then. Baby born at 40+6 weighing just under 9lbs when they were projected at over 10lbs.

runninggranny · 07/07/2017 15:13

If my two daughters and the 4 babies between them are anything to go by then midwives get those measurements wrong all the time. Try not to worry.
Hope you have the birth experience you would like and you and your baby are happy and healthy afterwards.
Good luck. Flowers

WomblingThree · 07/07/2017 15:19

If I were you I would pay more attention to your regular midwife. She sees you more and has a point of comparison in her mind. Every time I saw someone who wasn't my normal community midwife, there was an issue that sent me off to hospital. Next time I saw my midwife, she would laugh and roll her eyes. One told me he was going to be big. He was 8lb 3oz, so not exactly massive. Growth prediction is such an inexact science.

PlinkyTheFairyWitch · 07/07/2017 15:32

Oh love, some parts of the NHS go into overdrive when they see an overweight woman, especially if she's pregnant.

I had it all - GD tests, extra scans, BP monitoring, endless blood tests, hospital stays etc. I ended up with a 7lb7oz baby who had to be delivered by EMCS as he'd got his cord wrapped round his neck.

They'd been predicting a 10-pounder too. Not a whiff of GD or pre-eclampsia. Plus the midwife, on the morning of the day I had my CS, completely missed the signs he was in distress, then forgot to do a follow-up visit after we'd come home with DS.

The head midwife honcho at the hospital saw me for a pre-birth consultation, looked accusingly at my ankles and said 'well, those are swollen, aren't they?!'. I gave her my best withering look and said 'no, they're my normal ankles' cos they were! They are actively on the lookout for problems, which is great and horrible in equal measures.

Some midwives are shit. Some are amazing.

Hairpulling · 07/07/2017 15:34

Please don't worry to much! I put on three and a half stone and was measuring 4cm over by 37weeks. My DS wasn't tiny at 9lb7oz but he wasn't the biggest baby I have met either.
Please don't be upset about having a big baby! The way I see it is, you are doing a great job at making your baby. Your body is giving him/her everything it needs.

amusedbush · 07/07/2017 15:38

My MIL was whippet thin her entire life and DH was 11lbs 14oz when he was born. He looked about three months old in his newborn photos - I'm terrified that he'll knock me up with a monster baby Grin

These scans are very inaccurate, I don't know anyone who's had one that was correct!

50ShadesOfEarlGrey · 07/07/2017 15:41

Ditto everyone else here!
I was so huge with first baby, that friends and family laughed at me daily, skinny legs and bod, enormous bump. Even by 8 weeks sent for early scan to check for twins. Huge amounts of amniotic fluid, and baby born two weeks overdue weighing 7lbs 2 oz.

Second pregnancy, seeming all fine still a large bump. When booked in at Labour ward, worries baby was small, incubator bought in 'just in case'
Baby had actually turned round so all midwife could feel was arms and legs, birth weight 7lbs 12.
Please don't panic, it is an inexact science, and even if baby is large then you will be monitored. You are 37 weeks, even if suggestion of being induced you will be 38 weeks by time it happens. Relax and enjoy your last couple of pre birth weeks.

Worriednearlymum · 07/07/2017 15:47

Reading your responses has made me cry again as I feel less alone.

It's not so much the big baby fear, more that I felt she thought I'd done something wrong and that id put my baby at risk.

In answer the above she didn't call me fat but did pat me on the side nod to my body and say that it's harder to read through me and then baby etc especially when your bmi is as mine is. I don't think I was misreading the fat implication.

I also understand the increased risks of my weight and am determined to rid myself of it so I'm never feeling this bleak again!

OP posts:
tiba · 07/07/2017 15:50

I was measuring on target the whole way along and had additional growth scans which predicted average size baby and ended up having a whopper

anchor9 · 07/07/2017 16:02

very inaccurate. first i was big, then i was small as were many people i know. he was 6lb8 and perfect.

Spanneroo · 07/07/2017 16:38

Echoing others, these things are notoriously inaccurate. Scans are better but still not brilliant.

I measured significantly behind for DD1, sent in for growth scan as they worried she was too small. She measured off the charts at the scan, so was then told to expect at least a 10lb baby. DD1 was 7lb 7, just tall and skinny.

DD2 I also measured behind. I turned down the growth scan. She was 7lb 11.

outnumbered4 · 07/07/2017 18:15

With my first baby I was told she was measuring over 10lb Confused she was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 2 Grin

My 4th baby measured 9 weeks ahead and she was 8lb. I wouldn't worry too much Smile

DoesHeWantToOrNot · 07/07/2017 18:23

I got sent for a growth scan at 36 weeks as I was measuring 33 weeks.

Was told at the scan she was 6lbs 12oz. When she was eventually born 5 weeks later she was 7lbs 2oz.

I was just carrying small. My bump was basically all baby as I only put on 12lbs during the whole pregnancy

Snappychi · 07/07/2017 18:30

This reply has been withdrawn

This has been withdrawn by MNHQ at the user's request.

Worriednearlymum · 20/07/2017 13:51

Ladies thank you for your support. I had the growth scan last week and measuring at 8lb 10! Eek! Being induced tomorrow!

Baby is healthy and hospital are happy. However it seems reluctant to come on its own despite curry walking and raspberry tea. Hoping the pessary thing works but the mw thinks not!

Just an update as the messages really helped me on a low day!

OP posts:
LittleLionMansMummy · 20/07/2017 14:00

Ah op, I was measuring big and they sent me for a growth scan too. Dd was bigger than average (as was my ds, though I wasn't measuring big with him). She was 8 pounds 15 oz in the end, so similar weight to your approx one! Very quick delivery with her in the end meant there was no time for pain relief. Delivered her happy and healthy and me none too the worse for wear, so bigger than average babies are totally doable! Good luck and enjoy your lovely new arrival when you've finally got baby in your arms! Smile Flowers

Worriednearlymum · 20/07/2017 14:06

Thanks I'm excited and slightly terrified. Was really hoping to go on my own as the mw said induced tomorrow baby by prob Sunday home by Monday! I was hoping to avoid a 4day stay. However needs must and I do appreciate being lucky enough to have access to all this care!

OP posts:
PlinkyTheFairyWitch · 21/07/2017 08:52

Good luck OP Flowers

Don't worry too much, they really do know what they're doing and have seen it all! Hope everything goes as smoothly as possible. Also, don't stress if they keep you in post-birth - they do everything for you, it's bliss Wink

HiJenny35 · 21/07/2017 09:24

Midwife sent me for scan because bump was measuring too small, 4 weeks later different midwife sends me for a scan because bump is measuring too big. Baby was 7lb 7oz all a load of rubbish.

CheeseAndOnionIcecream · 21/07/2017 19:00

I measured big with my DD and a week before she was born the midwife said she wouldn't be surprised if she was at least 9lbs. She turned out to be 7lb 7oz.

ThoughACandleBurnsNoOnesHome · 21/07/2017 19:26

I'm sure everything will be fine OP. The one time I saw a different midwife while pregnant I was told I was measuring big. The extra size suddenly disappeared a week later when I saw my regular midwife again! These things are very hard to measure accurately

Hairpulling · 19/12/2017 09:47

Please don’t worry! I shot to 15.5st when pregnant with DS he was 9lb 7oz which isn’t small but not huge. You will be fine, may just have a bonnie baby.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

IJustLostTheGame · 19/12/2017 09:52

Don't freak out.
My bump was really small and dd was 9lb 2. I got told I was just having a tiny baby at my small bump scans.
My friend's bump was normal and bigger than mine and her ds was 6lbs.

It's not so much the size of the baby anyway it's the positioning and big fat babies can just pop out as can small ones.

Please don't get overly upset.
It's probably fine.

LiquoricePickle · 19/12/2017 09:53

I was told I was having at least a nine pound baby. He was 6 pound 6 and I lost the forty pounds of pregnancy weight gain in three or four months without doing anything.

NoNoCharlieRascal · 19/12/2017 09:55

hairpulling op was due 5 months a go. If it ain't come out yet it will be both a worry and huge Grin

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.