Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features


Neighbours have 'made' a driveway which MY parking space blocks

407 replies

SomewhatNewToThis · 30/06/2017 22:52

Trying to keep it short. I live down a very weird road- very few houses have driveways. Some of us have allocated bays in the street. Other people- generally the owners of newer houses- must park in a car park about a minutes walk away created especially for our road. It's literally at the end.

Neighbours have a weird upside down U shaped house, facing the road. They have decided to put a very ugly, gravel driveway on the reminder of their front garden.

However, MY allocated council parking space that belongs to my house is where the exit to their 'driveway' is. Their DD just passed her driving test- hence driveway- and I've had to move my car from my space SIX times since Tuesday.

Neighbours have now sent letter asking me to park elsewhere so their DD can use 'driveway.'

AIBU to have posted a polite letter back basically saying no and that I will not be moving car multiple times a day in future? Hmm

Car park for our houses requires a permit. As I have the allocated space, I cannot apply for a permit as I already have a space. Neighbours have one space in car park provided for those without allocated spaces, however can apply for space for their DD as car park has spare permits available. I can't park anywhere else as you can only park in allocated bays.

AIBU to think my allocated space is mine, it's not my fault it's in front of their house and that I shall not be moving my car from now on?

Diagram provided. Grin

Neighbours have 'made' a driveway which MY parking space blocks
OP posts:

SomewhatNewToThis · 30/06/2017 22:54

Sorry- remainder car not space.Blush

OP posts:

Wolfiefan · 30/06/2017 22:54

Does their "drive" have a dropped kerb?


JuniperSling · 30/06/2017 22:55

Wow. No, YANBU. I'd have copied in the council too.


GlitteryFluff · 30/06/2017 22:55

Have they put in a dropped kerb?
Can the council make you a new space? on the other side of the road?
Did they get permission to create a drive? Do you need permission for a drive?
I'm not being very helpful


Biggreygoose · 30/06/2017 22:56

Is there a drop kerb in front of their driveway to allow access?


Akire · 30/06/2017 22:56

If the council have issued permit and it's a marked out parking space then hey can't have a proper drive. The council would never just plonk one in front of someone driveway. I would ring council and check. Where do they park their cars? You could do a swop if they have street permit too.


MyOtherProfile · 30/06/2017 22:58

Definitely contact the council. The dropped kerb question is key here.


Sprinklestar · 30/06/2017 23:00

Sounds like they don't understand the system. Check with the council and ask if they can write to them maybe?


KeiraKnightleyActsWithHerTeeth · 30/06/2017 23:01

I've only read the title and I'm already excited.


Gazelda · 30/06/2017 23:01

So the allocation of spaces is managed by the local council? Can't see the neighbours have a leg to stand on?


PratStick · 30/06/2017 23:02



Farfromtheusual · 30/06/2017 23:02

Depending on the council obviously, they don't normally allow drop kerbs off a parking bay/space so I very much doubt they would have one.


AwaywiththePixies27 · 30/06/2017 23:03

Contact the council. Also the planning department. If it's not a dropped kerb I doubt they had permission to make said driveway anyway as surely them marking out your space would have been flagged ip on the planning application.

Thirdly. Tell them to fuck right off. .


ToadsforJustice · 30/06/2017 23:03

It's your space. Don't move your car for them.


ItsAllGoingToBeFine · 30/06/2017 23:03


PratStick · 30/06/2017 23:03

your mistake is that you've been moving for them


WifeofUthred · 30/06/2017 23:05

I saw this and thought "ooh, I hope there's a diagram" :D

And no, yanbu they are being tossers.


Fitzsimmons · 30/06/2017 23:05

I'd talk to the council so that next time they complain you can tell them what the council have said, assuming they advise in your favour.


SomewhatNewToThis · 30/06/2017 23:06

Sorry- no dropped kerb. Just a regular pavement. The driveway is not 'meant' to be there, if you see what I mean.

Mine is a marked out parking space. They park their car in the car park at the end of our road. They basically have not bothered to buy their DD a permit for the car park.

I'm not sure about swapping- from a selfish point of view, I like having my space right outside my house Blush I'm sure they would as well, but one of the reasons I bought the house was because the allocated space was right outside the door. My mum also visits a lot and she is disabled- I don't fancy my mum having to get to the car park every time she goes out with me if I swapped. It's much easier for their able bodied DD to get to the car park than my mum. That might sound selfish but having to go that bit extra would cause issues. But I'm not sure if that's a good enough reason to be awkward!

OP posts:

DarthMaiden · 30/06/2017 23:06

It might be their garden but if it doesn't have access to the road - which it doesn't as thats impeded by your space - then it can't be redesignated as a drive.

They need to make their own parking arrangements and you need to advise that you will no longer be moving your car to accommodate them.


Partyfops · 30/06/2017 23:07

I would tell them to fuck off if they asked me to move my car more than once.., ever!!


maddening · 30/06/2017 23:07

Yanbu - stop moving for them


ExplodedCloud · 30/06/2017 23:07

The dropped kerb is key here surely. If they have a legal dropped kerb (planning permission?) then the council have screwed up. If no or illegal dropped kerb then they can go whistle. and buy a van filled with tyres to park there for a week


Wolfiefan · 30/06/2017 23:08

So they don't actually have a drive at all? Without a dropped kerb it is just a paved garden. I wouldn't be moving my car and would speak to the council too. Cheeky buggers!


dinahmorris · 30/06/2017 23:08

I would just say no next time they ask you to move the car. You have an allocated parking space and won't be moving from that space. If they have any problem with that they can take it up with the council.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?