Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Pissed off that DD is moving out

114 replies

user1498753647 · 29/06/2017 17:33

DD is 21, recent graduate. Think she's making a stupid mistake in moving out - have always thought that rent is a game for mugs. I never rented, neither did DH and subsequently we own a house. All this airy-fairy talk of jobs and sharing a flat with her boyfriend/mates in London, miles away from her actual home. Hmm AIBU in nagging her to come to sense?

OP posts:
PeppaPigTastesLikeBacon · 29/06/2017 19:39

You have just called a hell of a lot of people mugs because they rent.
I wouldn't want to live with you. Not surprised she wants to move away from you

PeppaPigTastesLikeBacon · 29/06/2017 19:42

I take my comment back. Op, if you resort to posting a reverse you're not really sensible enough to live by yourself Hmm

CatWranglersAnonymous · 29/06/2017 19:42

Peppa the thread is a reverse.

CatWranglersAnonymous · 29/06/2017 19:43

Whoops sorry Peppa cross-post!

SomeOtherFuckers · 29/06/2017 19:51

Fuck off - London DS the best place for jobs - if she could only move when she bought she'd be latev20s and she wants a life .

user1498753647 · 29/06/2017 20:04

I'm really sorry for the reverse guys! Blush I take it these happen too often??

To all those who asked - my parents are wealthy and their home is family-purchased. They wouldn't do the same for me unless it was right next door to theirs and even then they'd be asking for hourly updates. Grin

OP posts:
PeppaPigTastesLikeBacon · 29/06/2017 20:19

OP they are dickish and you lose credibility. If you had just posted:

I am 21 and just finished uni. I want to move to London and rent with DP but my parents are saying rent is a mugs game. WIBU to just move regardless

Then you would have had genuine replies. Instead you decided to post as someone else (why bother?). It's childish and not required

user1498753647 · 29/06/2017 20:28

Peppa Hm, I guess because it's MN and it's kind of specifically for mums, I'd feel a bit weird if I just posted that in here? But your point is taken! Sorry!

OP posts:
karalime · 29/06/2017 20:31

Just say "IT'S BECAUSE I WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH MY BOYFRIEND(girlfriend/so etc) WITHOUT YOU EARWIGGING!".

A similar outburst stopped my mum's habit of walking into my room unannounced.

caffeinestream · 29/06/2017 20:34

OP, run and never look back!

Independence is so important and you will LOVE living out on your own and away from your mother (who sounds ridiculously controlling).

LittleBooInABox · 29/06/2017 20:38

As I'm learning this month, it's okay to cut toxic people out of your life. Even if their family who use you for their own gains.

museumum · 29/06/2017 20:53

Renting In a share is ideal for a single person early in a professional or similar career. You can be flexible and move around and advance your career and get lots of experience. I get so much out of my seven years in London doing just that.

Toomuchwine22 · 29/06/2017 21:11

Go to London!!!!!! Go go go! You will have the best time!!!! Go go go!!!! Enjoy! Oh to be 20 something!! You have such a great ride ahead!! SmileWine

InvisibleKittenAttack · 29/06/2017 21:55

Ah, they would buy you a house if it's one you can continue to be the family 'child' in.

You need to get away, because until they see you being an adult, they won't treat you as one. Some people need to be forced to see you as an autonomous adult.

(Word of warning - if you move into a shared flat/house, your parents will probably see that as you "working away" and still see their home as your home. This will be viewed as a temporary measure - to get work experience etc, with the understanding you'll move back.)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.