Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to expect parents not to drink at sports day?!?!

KCAREYW1987 · 19/06/2017 15:59

Have just returned from a very hot primary school sports day. A group of parents decided to crack open a few cold cans of pimms at about 11am. AIBU to think that this is totally out of order at a primary school sports day? I mean I know it's not cans of super brew but still I would never dream of watching my little ones in the sack race while getting sloshed in the sun! Would love to hear other opinions on this.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Parker231 · 19/06/2017 18:20

Sports day was a big event at DT's school - BBQ, picnic, Pimms etc - very well attended. DH and I work full time but with sporty DC's we always tried to attend the sports day and the social side of it was a major plus.

Please
or

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius · 19/06/2017 18:23

@LiveLongandProspero - the poster I was referring to has several drinks every day - that is more than 'just a bit over' the recommended limits. And drinking every day is going to put an extra burden on the liver. I believe that current advice is to have alcohol free days, to give your liver a chance to recover.

Maybe I am easily worried by this, because my dh had an alcohol problem, and because my aunt died of alcoholism-related liver failure - my other aunt found her dead in bed - but I genuinely believe that drinking a few drinks every single day is a problem.

And whilst the poster may not believe she gets tipsy, experiments have shown that, after a drink or two, people's ability to judge their capabilities gets worse with every drink.

I don't want to sound like a fun sucker - I don't have a problem with people enjoying a drink (I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at a couple of Pimms at Sports day), but there is a point where drinking becomes an addiction, and there is a point at which alcohol causes damage to the body. I think several drinks a day, every day, is getting towards those points.

Please
or

WarriorsDance · 19/06/2017 18:23

Oh god no, I couldn't drink a can of Pimms at 11am irrespective of whether it's at school or not - I'd be asleep by 1pm.

Just have a massive spliff before going to the school, I find that always helps to make Sports Day more bearable.

Grin

Wine

Please
or

Floggingmolly · 19/06/2017 18:24

No, drinking Pimms is not any different to a can of lager.
It's all alcohol; Pimms consumed on school premises at 11am while your kids are charging about in the heat is not classy.

Please
or

MrsHathaway · 19/06/2017 18:25

Used to work at vair naice school where Sports Day was a major all-day event with competitive picnicking - a dry basket would have been very gauche indeed. Some parents would have travelled hours if not days to be there (eg coming from overseas for a few days so they didn't miss it).

By contrast, my DCs' school sports day is a couple of hours of standing around watching and continually moving on to the next "station" as your children move on. It's awkward enough bringing a bottle of water and I can't imagine anyone bringing alcohol. PTA often does a soft drinks stall.

We always have a Temporary Event Notice (licence) for events like the summer fete and Christmas fair. This year the summer fete is a campout - I have a feeling there's some slightly prim wording about alcohol consumption. Now, where are the tickets so I can check ...?

Please
or

MerchantofVenice · 19/06/2017 18:30

sunshinegirls "I don't think a school sports day is a summer event. Glastonbury is a summer event."

Well, sports day is, um, an event that happens in the summer, so...

NB The existence of other, separate summer events does not call into question the status of this summer event.

HTH

Please
or

LiveLongAndProspero · 19/06/2017 18:31

the poster I was referring to has several drinks every day - that is more than 'just a bit over' the recommended limits

No, she said a FEW (you quoted her directly), and you changed it to SEVERAL. Then you lectured her using a faulty premise.

Please
or

Highalert · 19/06/2017 18:31

Its exactly the same as necking a can of lager.

I assume all the pimms tents are in private schools.

Please
or

MerchantofVenice · 19/06/2017 18:32

Parker Yes, I think it very much depends on the sort of event. Some sports days are not much of a big deal; others are more like a sort of society event! I think all parents should aim to make the former type more like the latter by, umm, bringing a Pimms tent.

Please
or

catgirl1976 · 19/06/2017 18:34

It's Pimms. Pimms! You can't get sloshed on a couple of watered down Pimms unless you have a very low alcohol tolerance, in which case no, you should not be drinking at a sports day.

Please
or

Highalert · 19/06/2017 18:35

Lol at society event. Not in my world. It was sitting on plastic chairs trying to stop your youngest one from joining in and causing chaos in the sack race.

Please
or

ForalltheSaints · 19/06/2017 18:37

I agree with the OP. Would be happy with no parents there at all incidentally.

Please
or

catgirl1976 · 19/06/2017 18:37

I wouldn't take my own though. I'd participate gladly if it was on offer but taking your own seems a bit desperate unless it was some sort of long standing tradition that everyone did.

Please
or

bigkidsdidit · 19/06/2017 18:37

These events with pimms tents and picnic hampers, in the afternoon, are very different to pulling a can oit of your pocket at 11am on a Monday, on your own. Blimey.

Please
or

ShatnersBassoon · 19/06/2017 18:38

You say society, I say community Grin

I think this is why I'll never be asked to pitch a Pimms tent.

Please
or

WifeofUthred · 19/06/2017 18:44

My kids sport's day was so unbelievably dull, a few cans would have eased the boredom!

Please
or

CiderwithBuda · 19/06/2017 18:46

I said it's different to necking a can of lager as I think a glass of weak Pimms (and it's always weak as PTA has to make a profit!) and is no where near the same alcohol level. I don't think! Prepared to be corrected though.

Bringing a can of lager or Pimms or g&t or whatever in your handbag for a sports days held at 9am is a bit different to an event held over a longer time frame with picnics and therefore food,

I've never seen anyone drunk. Most people have one. Maybe more if they are not driving. Over the course of a few hours. Some family groups have champagne.

I like the Pimms tent but find the gazebos and picnic chairs and wicker hampers makes me feel way out of my comfort zone however.

Please
or

TriHard27 · 19/06/2017 18:47

I wish I could drink through sports day. And school fetes. And soft play parties. Grin

Please
or

catgirl1976 · 19/06/2017 18:49

I have often longed for a fully stocked bar at soft play

Please
or

Increasinglymiddleaged · 19/06/2017 18:52

Do you need to post on MN??

I think some people actually have a MN problem that is bigger than drinking a glass of Pimm's. I also don't think trilling at posters accusing then of having a 'drink problem' because they drink regularly in moderation is helpful.

I really can't stand Pimm's though, and TBF wouldn't have had a drink at 11am on a Monday morning. But each to his own.

Please
or

MerchantofVenice · 19/06/2017 19:02

Yeah - I agree Increasingly. I personally wouldn't want it at 11am on a weekday. But I feel like I have to defend everyone's right to do so. Because otherwise... where will it end? Judging me for necking the dregs directly out of the wine bottle last thing on a Friday evening? NOOOOO.

Please
or

MerchantofVenice · 19/06/2017 19:03

Though, tbf, I am currently a bit drunk on Pimms. So I have no argument.

Please
or

Downtheroadfirstonleft · 19/06/2017 19:04

Our sports days always start around lunchtime.

Loads of parents bring picnic baskets to our school sports days and many/ most (I couldn't say accurately) bring a bottle of wine/ prosecco and usually some nice soft drinks too.

We all have a lovely time. I've never seen anyone showing any signs of drunkenness/ being tipsy.

Some people are hilariously judgemental.

Please
or

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius · 19/06/2017 19:27

@LiveLongAndProspero - OK, but to my way of thinking, a few drinks is at least three (anything less would be a couple or one), and a minimum of three drinks every day is not nothing to worry about, in my opinion - and that's without factoring in that most people under report the level of their drinking, and tend to underestimate how big their drinks are. Add in those factors and she may well be having several units a day.

Sorry, but that looks like a problem to me.

Please
or

StarHeartDiamond · 19/06/2017 19:28

Shatners - context and connotations.

Why not serve lager in champagne glasses at wedding receptions if there's no difference between alcoholic drinks?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.