My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Not to expect someone to park next to me in a huge empty carpark?

80 replies

lidoshuffle · 13/06/2017 09:23

Went to supermarket at 7am., huge carpark was almost empty. I parked in the middle (not near the entrance/disabled/parent spaces). As I'm just about to open the driver's door and get out someone parks in the space immediately adjacent. AIBU (probably) to feel slightly irked?

OP posts:
HappyLabrador · 13/06/2017 09:25

Yanbu. Why do people DO THIS?!

RandomlyGenerated · 13/06/2017 09:27

And they will invariably bang their down open against the side of your car too.

user98765797837 · 13/06/2017 09:27

haha it happens all the time and it is annoying but nothing really that we can do.

Who knows what goes through their heads....

ShatnersWig · 13/06/2017 09:28

Safety in numbers, obviously

RandomlyGenerated · 13/06/2017 09:28

door not down, stupid phone.

user1487671808 · 13/06/2017 09:30

I think there's an unwritten law about this. DH gets infuriated when people park next to him in empty car parks but no matter where he parks there's always someone.

Igneococcus · 13/06/2017 09:31

I had that once on a completely empty supermarket carpark in the early morning. I must have been the first customer of the day. When I got back out less than 5 minutes later a van was parked so close to my rear bumper that I woudn't have been able to open the boot. I have no idea why the driver chose to park there having about 100 empty spaces to chose from.

MrTurtleLikesKisses · 13/06/2017 09:33

Sometimes it's easier to reverse park into a bay next to a car, rather than into an empty bay?

lidoshuffle · 13/06/2017 09:38

The same has happened in empty cinemas - someone will sit immediately in front/behind/almost directly beside. Maybe it's my magnetic aura Grin

OP posts:
treaclesoda · 13/06/2017 09:40

I'd guess that people park next to other cars as it is easier to park next to a car than in an empty space, because it is easier to see a car than to see the lines on the road.

Doesn't bother me. They can park wherever they want. The only time it has ever made me do Hmm was once when I was getting out of the car and getting my daughter out of the car seat when another car came through an empty car park and decided that the only space that would do was the one I was standing in, and sat a few inches away revving the engine until I got out of the way. Now that was annoying.

TheMaddHugger · 13/06/2017 09:50

Since you were still in the car, I'd have quickly driven on a bit further.
I've done it, confuses the heck outta them

Not to expect someone to park next to me in a huge empty carpark?
IntrusiveBastards · 13/06/2017 09:53

Yanbu I would have moved if I hadn't got out the car yet. I like to park furthest from stores and away from people. Parking spaces were so narrow in one local store that it's now become a habit so I can get the car seat out.

I did get one arsehole park over the line at an angle so I couldn't get the seat back in once. Loads of spaces free and they park over the line, in my bay, blocking me from getting the seat in. Wankers.

FannyWisdom · 13/06/2017 09:55

We are herd animals.

Mulledwine1 · 13/06/2017 09:57

Sometimes it's easier to reverse park into a bay next to a car, rather than into an empty bay

Yes, this. I am guilty of it too as it is much easier than trying to see the white lines.

It doesn't make it any less annoying for the person in the space though.

I have, on occasion, moved the car when someone has done this to me. And had it done to me, too.

Figaro2017 · 13/06/2017 10:00

Because cars get lonely?

chickenowner · 13/06/2017 10:01

When this happens to me in the cinema I move.

I also moved once when eating my breakfast in a hotel. Lots of empty tables and a total stranger came and sat at my table! It was when I lived in Asia and I suspect that he wanted to practice his English on me. This sort of thing used to happen to me all the time and it was very annoying!

Coddiwomple · 13/06/2017 10:04

If someone can safely park in an empty car park because they find it tricky to follow the lines, they really should go and get some lessons.

Don't get me started on people who plonk themselves in front of you on an empty beach. Angry

OliviaStabler · 13/06/2017 10:06

Same happens to me at the gym. Get onto a machine on the end of an empty row and someone comes and uses the machine right next to me. Grrr.

Coddiwomple · 13/06/2017 10:08

I do agree with people sitting next to each other at something like a school play. You know the place will be packed, leaving empty seats everywhere is just annoying.

PickleSarnie · 13/06/2017 10:09

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WatchingFromTheWings · 13/06/2017 10:11

Happens to me all the time! I once parked in an almost empty car park. Car parks next to me before I had a chance to get out. Driver had to squeeze herself out of her car as she'd parked so close to me she couldn't open her door properly! Once she was out I pulled forward to the next bank of parking spaces.

On another occasion I again parked in an almost empty car park and came back to find a massive Winnebago type vehicle parked 6 inches from my driver door. Was about to leave a shitty note on the window when the driver came back so spoke to him instead. Apparently my car wasn't there when he parked up. It definately was! It wasn't a small car either!!

Madbum · 13/06/2017 10:12

Fucking hate this! Not carpark obviously but when you're on an empty bus and someone plonks down next to you I always think wtf? Are they deliberately trying to be intimidating? Then they have the gall to look insulted if you ask them to get up so you can move away. Fucking weirdos.

Montsti · 13/06/2017 10:19

Happened to me this morning too - really pisses me off! I also specifically chose parking not too close to the doors as I have a big car so easy for inconsiderate people to bash/scrape it when they open their doors...

By the time I got back to my car (30 mins later), the car park was still empty...😡😡😡.

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks · 13/06/2017 10:34

Because cars get lonely?

Bugger, you beat me to it FigaroGrin
Cars suffer from seperation anxiety when left alone in an empty car park so when another vehicle enters it naturally gravitates towards the lonely one. It's the only explaination.

Sirzy · 13/06/2017 10:40

The only time it annoys me is when I am putting ds into his wheelchair and someone tries to get into the space next to us rather than using one of the many other free spaces!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.