My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Not to expect someone to park next to me in a huge empty carpark?

80 replies

lidoshuffle · 13/06/2017 09:23

Went to supermarket at 7am., huge carpark was almost empty. I parked in the middle (not near the entrance/disabled/parent spaces). As I'm just about to open the driver's door and get out someone parks in the space immediately adjacent. AIBU (probably) to feel slightly irked?

OP posts:
DopeyDazy · 13/06/2017 14:44

Had it happen to me once and got abused for moving car. As car was still there when i came out I picked up some dogshit with a plastic bag and pushed it under the drivers door handle.Nice little surprise . Wouldn't recommend it now with cameras everywhere

Pithlit · 13/06/2017 14:53

Drives me crazy. I bought a lovely, shiney, new to me car and wanting to keep it that way always parked at the far side of car parks where there were fewer cars and therefore less chance of getting bashed by someone's door.

I now have many dinks and scuffs due to people choosing to come and park ridiculously close to my car and bashing while trying to squeeze through the tiny gap. Why???

PickleSarnie · 13/06/2017 15:58

You seriously put dogshit under a random strangers car handle dopey? Or are you joking?

Albatross26 · 13/06/2017 16:38

This reminds me of what happened to a friend of mine recently. Took his dp to the lake district to propose, finds a beautiful secluded spot up some massive hill, at the crucial moment some bloke appears, sits right next to them and gets his sandwiches out Grin

Dahlietta · 13/06/2017 16:46

You are being unreasonable not to expect it, because it always bloody happens!
But yes, it absolutely gives me the rage. Same when people come and sit on the table next to you in an otherwise empty café. Do you think they're the same people?

TheWitchAndTrevor · 13/06/2017 16:59

Happen at a cafe today, massive out door area over looking a lake about 20 odd tables outside, all in the sun all with views of the lake. Sat down just started to eat and a couple decide the table next to us (almost touching) was were they wanted to sitHmm

TheWitchAndTrevor · 13/06/2017 17:01

Ha Dahlietta just seen your post Grin

I have to say I didn't feel guilty lighting a cig up, idiots

lidoshuffle · 13/06/2017 18:27

Albatross, that trumps someone parking next to me at Tezzie's!

OP posts:
Dahlietta · 13/06/2017 18:52

TheWitchAndTrevor Great minds think alike, eh? Grin

Buttercup12233 · 13/06/2017 19:09

I was standing in an empty car park loading shopping into body of my car. I become aware of a car trying to squeeze into the space where I am standing. Initially I ignored it as the whole row next to that space was empty. But the car just kept coming.

So I had to partially shut my door and move my trolley. When they were parked I then had to move my trolley again so the passenger could get out.

I was genuinely intrigued, so when the couple got out I asked them why they had chosen that space when the rest of the car park was empty. They said (huffily) that they always use that space "for the dogs". Confused

bonfireheart · 13/06/2017 19:23

At work we have to park like this one next to the first car and so on until row is filled. Maybe for some it then become habit?

NellieFiveBellies · 13/06/2017 19:29

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BoggledMind · 13/06/2017 19:36

God I hate this too. I have a huge 4x4 that fills up the entire space width wise so I always park in the empty areas of the car park to avoid doors being smashed into mine (or vice versa). I can guarantee that every time I leave the supermarket that another huge 4x4 will have parked right next to me making it virtually impossible for me to get into the driver's side (made harder that I'm also pregnant with a huuuuuge bump). I just don't get it. I miss my Fiesta 😭

TaliZorahVasNormandy · 13/06/2017 19:41

People who stand too close. Happened today in Tesco in the queue. Just fucking move back!!

ItWentInMyEye · 13/06/2017 19:47

Always happens in public toilets! An entire row of empty ones, I go to the ones furthest away from the door and no sooner have I dropped trou than some bugger comes and pees like a racehorse right next to me. Angry

TheWitchAndTrevor · 13/06/2017 19:58

People who stand too close. Happened today in Tesco in the queue. Just fucking move back!!

Ahh I have a manoeuvre for that. You act as if you don't know they are there, then shuffle a little where you are, then step backwards. You either step on there toes (by accident of course) or come so close to bumping into them the fluster and move back.

Obviously when you do realise how close they are, lots of oh sorrys Smile

Fuckers give you room after that, and stop breathing down your neck.

TheMightyPigsbum · 13/06/2017 20:46

I have a similar(ish) phenomena that always happens to me.

If I am walking down a road or through a shopping centre or anywhere where groups of people mingle and I walk around a person or group that has stopped, almost without exception they will start moving again as I pass. It's so weird.

Cheby · 13/06/2017 20:58

Ugh YANBU OP.

I went to a group at a local hospital last week. Both kids with me; 2 very obvious car seats in the back (one massive impact shield seat, seriously its huge and you can't miss it, and one bright blue infant seat). Big-ish car so I drove right to the top of the multi-storey, passing 2 empty floors, and parking on a completely deserted level.

Get back to my car 3 hours later, some absolute fucker has parked right next to me, so close I can't get pre schooler in to her seat. Entire level is still empty bar our two cars.

I had to put (now screaming) baby in her seat, take that out of the car and put it in the front, get eldest in by climbing across then climb across myself to strap her in. Then put infant seat back in the back, before squeezing myself into the drivers seat. I'm afraid I may have nudged his car with my car door. Literally nothing I could do. Glad it wasn't a few months ago when I wasn't pregnant otherwise I would have been screwed.

Rachel0Greep · 13/06/2017 20:59

Ahh I have a manoeuvre for that. You act as if you don't know they are there, then shuffle a little where you are, then step backwards. You either step on there toes (by accident of course) or come so close to bumping into them the fluster and move back.

I stepped on someone's foot genuinely by accident one day. I had no idea this person was practically glued to me, in a coffee shop. The queue is actually to the side, along by the counter. I was paying at the till and he, for no discernible reason was standing directly behind me.

I wasn't very apologetic tbh, and I am a polite person.

lidoshuffle · 13/06/2017 21:08

And people who come crashing out of shops or side streets and expect the main pedestrian traffic to make way. I just pretend I haven't seen them. I managed to stand on the back of someone's shoe and it came off their foot.

OP posts:
DancingLedge · 13/06/2017 23:08

Gosh this thread's turning a bit nasty.

bonfireheart · 13/06/2017 23:17

I was at a funeral recently and a random woman was stood so close to me she kept touching me from the back. As there were prayers going on I didn't say anything to disturb it, but I wanted to cry coz she was making me feel queasy.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

BlondeB83 · 14/06/2017 00:09

I did this to a bloke once in an empty (although small) car park, he questioned me on it but I had just passed my test and wanted to practise my reverse park. I needed his car as a marker to help me Blush

Ollivander84 · 14/06/2017 00:16

People that walk so close as well. I was shopping and stopped for a cigarette. Massive wide pavement that maybe 3-4 people can walk alongside each other. I stepped in a bit that's set even further back.
Woman walks past me so close she TROD ON MY TOES and then tutted/fake coughed/waved the smoke away. She avoided the entire pavement and walked into the set back bit just to do that ConfusedHmm

lidoshuffle · 14/06/2017 15:48

Gosh this thread's turning a bit nasty.

When I said I managed to stand on the back of someone's shoe, I should have said by accident. They just barged in front of me before I could check my pace.

Still serves 'em right though! Grin

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.