My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Not to expect someone to park next to me in a huge empty carpark?

80 replies

lidoshuffle · 13/06/2017 09:23

Went to supermarket at 7am., huge carpark was almost empty. I parked in the middle (not near the entrance/disabled/parent spaces). As I'm just about to open the driver's door and get out someone parks in the space immediately adjacent. AIBU (probably) to feel slightly irked?

OP posts:
thenightsky · 13/06/2017 10:45

I had this yesterday. Parked in Tesco. Loads of spaces to choose from. I was sat in car listening to radio and some twat came and parked so close to my passenger door he had to sort of hang onto the door as he squeezed himself out.

When he pulled up I looked at him with this face... Confused
He just glanced at me like this... Grin

Why?

NavyandWhite · 13/06/2017 10:52

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MyWhatICallNameChange · 13/06/2017 10:56

Ugh, this happened to me when I was pregnant with twins. The whole empty car park and they chose to park so close to me I couldn't get in the drivers side, which was also the side my DS's car seat was in at the back.

No matter how hard I bashed my door against their car (a really battered Land Rover, wonder why it was so battered?) I couldn't open it wider.

It was fun being heavily pregnant and having to clamber over the seats to strap DS in and then into the drivers seat.

Bastards.

BreconBeBuggered · 13/06/2017 10:58

Oh, dear.

I had a couple hurtle their shopping trolley towards me with terrible abuse because I'd parked my car next to theirs at the supermarket. It was mid-evening and the place wasn't remotely empty, but they wanted their isolation spot and swore at me (I had DS in the car too) because, Granny, you should use your fucking bus pass.
I'd parked much more neatly than them, by the way, and didn't touch their car when opening the door or anything. I wanted that spot because there were puddles all over the unused bits of car park and it was underneath a light. My own requirements apparently did not trump their wish to have a large cordon of space around their vehicle. I'm afraid I told them I could park my car anywhere I fucking wanted, and departed with a rude gesture.

BattleaxeGalactica · 13/06/2017 10:59

YA so NBU, OP.

I'll add having an entire empty hotel restaurant to choose from and an entire screeching circus extended family plonking themselves on the table next to dh and I Angry

StripySocks1 · 13/06/2017 11:02

This happened to me recently, when my baby was screaming in the back of the car so I pulled into an almost empty supermarket car park, parked at the back in an empty row of spaces, got the baby out and started breastfeeding her in the front passenger seat when an old woman pulls in the space next to me so close the wing mirrors were almost touching, she has to hang on to the top of the door frame to squeeze herself out of the car and smiles at me as she walks off. I was just sat there with my mouth hanging open, she could see what I was doing. I had to squeeze myself and the baby out of the car and try to get her back into her car seat, some people don't have the sense they were born with!

DancingLedge · 13/06/2017 11:02

And the people who, on a relatively empty campsite, snuggle their tent right next to mine.Mostly to be absolutely positively sure I will be in earshot of their snoring.AngrySadShock

Curlyshabtree · 13/06/2017 11:14

I did this at a service station as I wanted a kip. Parked miles away from everyone. Woke up to find a couple sat in a car parked right next to me! The rest of the car park had loads and loads of empty spaces!! Had visions of them peering in and watching me. Urgh!

Rachel0Greep · 13/06/2017 11:18

YANBU. I don't understand it. If the car is lonely Grin, wouldn't being in the same row do, why does it have to be right beside, while the empty spaces abound.
I have had this happen so many times. Once even a car over the bloody line beside mine...with loads of empty spaces. Twice, I have been in a situation where I had my car door open, and someone waited patiently for me to finish what I was doing, so that they could cosy in beside my car. All the while, there were numerous empty spaces around.

I won't even start on the attraction I have when I am in an empty cafe and yet people practically sit on top of me. I was in a pub years ago at lunchtime. It was a Saturday in December, and the place was otherwise empty. The staff were about to start putting up Christmas decorations. Where did one of them place the box of decorations... Yes, on my table. I looked like this Confused, but before I had to say anything, the other person moved it.

PinkPeppers · 13/06/2017 11:20

I was actually thinking the beach there.
Settle somewhere with no one around, yu can be sure the next person will settle next to you (even w an empty beach)

Or campsite....

Ifitquackslikeaduck · 13/06/2017 11:22

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shazkiwi · 13/06/2017 11:35

We had this when we went camping. We were the only ones set up in the whole entire field. We went off for dinner then came back to a family of 6 pitched so close to us we were tripping over their guy ropes! Then last year in Cornwall at the beach a family wanted to put up their windbreak & ask to use our mallet. Fair enough but they set up right in front of us so we couldn't see the sea, then the dad had the cheek to say "right - chill" then sat down, while his teenage kids turned up their music so everyones peace was destroyed.

Kazzyhoward · 13/06/2017 11:36

Yep. I have to go on work courses and the venues have very small tables where they try to fit 3 or 4 people around. I like my personal space so try to get early to get an end seat (or even better a whole table to myself). These course are rarely full. Yet almost every time, despite other tables being empty, some sod will come and sit right next to me. It annoys the hell out of me. But, yes, same happens with car parks all the time.

Catsick36 · 13/06/2017 11:36

Arrgh so annoying. I was trying to wrap a newborn in a stretchy sling in an empty early morning car park standing by the rear passenger door. Heard an engine, looked round and a woman was Waiting for me to move so she could park in the space next to me!! Wtf! I took as long as possible.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic · 13/06/2017 11:41

My driving position means that I can't see the lines well in my wing mirrors (Short, close to windscreen, mirrors high for blind spot as blind spot heavily obstructed by columns of the car so need them in that position for driving on the highway, they're manual too so a total bugger to adjust). I will use another vehicle to help judge the length of the space, but that doesn't require being directly next to it. At least a space away works perfectly well too. Wink

I ended up starting to use parent spaces in pregnancy for this reason. SPD made it painful to walk any extra distance anyway, and I barely fitted behind the steering wheel for months (had to give up in the final month as I no longer fitted in a position where I could reach the pedals!) So I had to guarantee that I could open the driver's door fully as there was no other method physically possible to get into the car if someone parked close to me. An additional traipse across the car park to report to customer services could well have tipped me beyond my coping thresholds for the day.

confuugled1 · 13/06/2017 12:33

Were you not tempted to ask them, why, given there is an entire car park to choose from, did they have to park right next to you? I would have been very tempted.

I can understand if there are issues like big puddles or lighting. But they could have parked with one space between you if they thought it was a safety thing and still been close enough but also have left space for everyone to get in and out of their cars easily...

glammanana · 13/06/2017 12:42

It is not a new thing this feeling of having park up so closely to each other,years ago when we used to take DCs away for cheap & cheerful week-ends camping in Wales we could rock up on a totally empty field early evening (not a tent in sight) and next morning open the tent and low and behold 8/9 tents appeared overnight some so close they could drop in for breakfast the rest of the field would empty the mind boggles.

Sweetpotatoaddict · 13/06/2017 12:43

There's probably a psychology dissertation in this!
I've parked at the back of a carpark as I was reading my book while baby slept. In drives man parks hard against my car then opens his door into mine. I challenge him and apparently it's my fault as despite being within the lines I was further to his side than mine. Which was deliberate in case I needed to get baby out who was behind my seat. I gave him a Shock look, shook my head and moved my car.

BelfastSmile · 13/06/2017 12:47

This cracks me up! If I have the children with me I often park with a space to each side so I can get them both out easily. Sometimes I come back and there are cars parked on each side, making it really difficult to get the car seat in - just why?! Fine if the car park is busy, but if it's almost empty, LEAVE MY CAR ON ITS OWN! It's an introvert and wants to be on its own!

LittleWitch · 13/06/2017 13:04

These are my favourite threads. Had one on the train recently - empty carriage, middle of the day - I mean empty as in only me in it. Bloke gets on, sits down next to me. I moved and he gave me the Hmm look. Cheeky bastard.

On holiday a bit back, up a mountain in Austria, nobody else around, 100 mile views, sunny day, lovely. Stopped for our picnic lunch in a meadow, walked a little way off the path to the perfect spot. 10 min later, along comes a couple, walked right up to us and sat down. In the middle of an huge empty space. They sat so close that any other passerby would have thought we were all together Confused. Not a word was spoken. Bizarre doesn't begin to cover it.

Spudlet · 13/06/2017 13:10

Someone did this to me yesterday! Parked right next to me so I had to clamber over the seats to get ds out. I wasn't even close to the shop entrance or anything 😐

Like a pp said, there must be some psychological reason for this, I'd be fascinated to know what it is because it seems to be a human tendency.

Rachel0Greep · 13/06/2017 13:14

LEAVE MY CAR ON ITS OWN! It's an introvert and wants to be on its own!

Grin I love this!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

CryingMessFFS · 13/06/2017 13:18

I hate this! Happens a lot.

Most annoying one was shopping with newborn DS so bit of a faff getting the car seat out as you all know, so we parked away from everyone. Probably about 200 empty spaces around us. A very heavily pregnant lady parked right next to us and struggled out of her car while I was just removing the car seat from my car (he was behind me passenger side). Seriously why? She made her own life more difficult as well as mine! I almost said something in my post c-section sleep deprived haze but luckily I kept my gob shut.

notanewuser · 13/06/2017 13:20

I saw this advert and thought of you OP

Not to expect someone to park next to me in a huge empty carpark?
TheFreaksShallInheritTheEarth · 13/06/2017 13:41

I once went to a small shopping area with young DC, in a dodgy part of town. There was a car park on top of the buildings you could drive up to, so I did. It was deserted. Before I'd had a chance to get out, a van shot straight up behind me and parked next to me. I felt uneasy, so waited til the driver got out. He didn't.
I drove off because I was worried he'd attack us! Since then, this scenario has brought out the suspicious in me!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.