My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Help - toad screaming in the sofa! AIBU to call DH to come home?

273 replies

Aquablu · 12/06/2017 11:53

I know this sounds dramatic, but AIBU? I have a phobia of frogs and toads. I can and have dealt with the odd stray mouse but amphibians - no.

On Friday, I was on the house in my own and I heard what I thought was the kitchen back door creaking on its hinges, but it was a weird noise. I went in there, only to find a massive toad in the middle of the floor. I just froze - I can't even bring myself to look the things! It was making this unearthly squeaking noise and the cat seemed scared of it.

I was late for a wax appt, so I just went and shut it in the kitchen, leaving the back door open and put the cat in the front part of the house so he couldn't get to it.

I also thought I heard a kind of croaking like an echo coming from the living room, but I had to go.

When I came back the thing had gone thank god. There is nowhere it can hide in the kitchen. The dishwasher and cupboards were shut, so it must have hopped outside. DD's Nintendo DS sometimes makes weird noises, so I thought the other noise in the living room must have been that vibrating or some kind of alarm.

We've been away for the weekend, but today, to my horror, there is the same screaming sound coming from the sofa in the living room! There must be a toad in there that was calling to the one on Friday in the way they do across ponds. I can't bring myself to pull the cushions off in case it jumps! It could have been lying flat for god knows how long.

AIBU to call DH to come back from work asap to get the toad out? He's meant to be going to the airport at 4pm, then he's away until Fri. I can't live like this until then! AIBU or is that too ridiculous? I can't ask the neighbours.

OP posts:
hollyisalovelyname · 12/06/2017 14:48

Toads, Frogs, Spiders no problem.
But I am terrified of rodents, snakes and monkeys.

Nikephorus · 12/06/2017 14:54

He said he had gone back out because the mouse was in shock so he took it some cubes of Edam cheese "to get its strength back"
That is so sweet! He deserves a great big Star and Halo for that & Operation Toad. Restored my faith in human beings.

Nikephorus · 12/06/2017 14:56

Edam for the mouse. Now you're just boasting.
No, a proper stealth boost would have been "took the cheese board out for the mouse with the decanter of port" Grin

user1492692527 · 12/06/2017 14:58

Am I the only one thinking 'Poop poop!!' Grin

malificent7 · 12/06/2017 15:01

Lolol! I love frogs and toads... wish i was there to help!
Makes me snort... my mum was the same with mice!

londonmummy1966 · 12/06/2017 15:04

Great thread OP - I am so showing it to my DH tonight as I made him come home from his work in central London to remove a couple of pigeons that had decided to fly in through the window and roost on a chest of drawers. He was not that impressed...

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser · 12/06/2017 15:05

Phew! Well done to your DH! Glad Mr. Toad doesn't seem too scarred by his ordeal.

SquinkiesRule · 12/06/2017 15:08

Aquablu your Dh is a gem, taking the mouse some cheese, and good cheese at that.

BlackPeppercorn · 12/06/2017 15:09

How funny. Can you imagine the conversation in the office.
"I'm so sorry, I know we are in the midst of discussing this multi million pound deal, but I shall have to leave, I have an emergency situation at home"
"Heavens, so sorry to hear that. What has happened?"
"There is a toad in the sofa. Goodbye."

DD once texted me whilst I waited in the doctors surgery for my smear test. "Come home please. Big Dog has done a poo in the dining room".

SirVixofVixHall · 12/06/2017 15:10

Well that's my first "dickish" on mumsnet..Hmm
It is a photo, not an actual bloody toad. If someone is so phobic that a mere picture of my toad is going to send them into a panic then they probably wouldn't be browsing a thread with TOAD writ large in the title,( was my assumption). Calling me "thoughtless and/or dickish" is really rude. My feeling is that the more people actually stop and look at how beautiful wild creatures are, the less afraid they will be. Toads are completely harmless to humans, live for almost as long, and are stunning little creatures. They don't spread or carry disease, bite, or in any way affect the human environment. We've had children here who have screamed at the sight of our toad, and then when they've stopped to properly look, have been surprised at how pretty she is. That was what I was aiming for by posting her picture.

WhattheChuff · 12/06/2017 15:11

Interesting thread.
I thought I didn't mind frogs/toads but since watching actual screaming toads on YouTube my mind has been blown.

It is such an eerie sound I'd freak out too!
P.s. your sofa is very nice.

kali110 · 12/06/2017 15:12

SirVixofVixHall
He's handsome Smile

Ceto · 12/06/2017 15:13

I hope you're planning a fantastic welcome home dinner for your husband when he gets back. He sounds lovely.

Aquablu · 12/06/2017 15:15

BlackPepper Grin Yes it was probably very much like that.
No worries SirVix. I quickly scrolled down!
I don't know what's worse - the sight or the sound of them.

OP posts:
SirVixofVixHall · 12/06/2017 15:20

Ours is a rescue as she has injuries which mean she wouldn't survive in the wild.

Rachel0Greep · 12/06/2017 15:25

Am in knots laughing at my image of the mouse daintily eating the pieces of Edam, and saying thank you Mr Aqua, yes, I do feel a little better now... Grin
Oh Pomme I would have loved that nightshirt! And I could picture myself acting in exactly the same way as you did Grin!

FloofyCat · 12/06/2017 15:50

Vix I apologise for calling you thoughtless and/or dickish, it was harsh as I can see you actually did mean well. I still kind of think it was a little thoughtless as OP may have run screaming from her own thread but is clearly made of sterner stuff Grin

Can I ask vix without it seeming really rude and arsey as it's a genuine question, if you have any phobias? I do think your toad is pretty (not a sentence I ever thought I'd say Wink) but I'm not scared of them, and I know what you're saying about stopping and looking, but the whole point of phobias is that they are irrational and sensible words don't cut it :) It's like my mother saying "they're more scared of you than you are of them" a. It doesn't help and b. I sincerely doubt it Smile

nina2b · 12/06/2017 15:53

Poor animal. It need your help.

nina2b · 12/06/2017 15:53

...needs

Ceto · 12/06/2017 15:59

No, it doesn't need her help any more, nina. Read the thread?

Haudyerwheesht · 12/06/2017 16:07

I've toughened up now but when we were students dh was on a night out I caught an ENORMOUS spider under a pint glass and he wasn't going to be home for hours. I lifted the glass every few hours and put some biscuit crumbs under the glass in case it suffocated and the biscuit crumbs were to cheer it up Blush In hindsight it would have been easier just to chuck it out the window!

SirVixofVixHall · 12/06/2017 16:09

Floofy- No I don't have a phobia. I have several close friends who do though, so I have some idea how they manifest. None of my very phobic friends would read something with their phobia in the title (snakes being one of them). I also think that education is the answer to a phobia, that finding out more about the thing that scares you is the way through to feeling less frightened. Most phobias have a rational root, snakes, spiders, heights, even buttons, are sensible aversions in some ways, so respond to rationality (at least as far as I can tell from the types of therapy used for phobias).

Cocolepew · 12/06/2017 16:17

BlackPeppercorn 😀

Cheerybigbottom · 12/06/2017 16:29

I've had such serious anxiety reading this thread, I thought the neighbours sudden toddler scream was a toad and jumped!

I nominate OPs husband for a wildlife rescue award in the category of toad & mouse resettlement.

KC225 · 12/06/2017 17:06

Massive toad on your sofa. Been there - and dated way worse than that

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.