Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think young people voted for more than just 'tuition fee bribes'

92 replies

Leanback · 09/06/2017 14:22

Incredibly patronising to state that the youth have been 'conned and lied to' about what a labour government could bring. We didn't just vote for lower tuition fees, that doesn't even affect the majority of those who voted!

OP posts:
TooStressyForMyOwnGood · 09/06/2017 14:24

Totally agree. Beyond patronising.

christinarossetti · 09/06/2017 14:26

It's so patronising. People have been berating young people for years for political apathy. They get themselves registered, vote and are then criticised for that.

I'm really, really relieved that young people are becoming more politically engaged. It's vital for the future.

Leanback · 09/06/2017 14:28

christina I think there are many people out there who did not want the youth vote to turn out. Just wanted to use our political apathy as a stick to beat us with.

OP posts:
stella23 · 09/06/2017 14:28

Of course they did, but the people who are saying this assume that all people are like them and only vote with a self interest at heart.

BaronessEllaSaturday · 09/06/2017 14:29

my dd at uni didn't vote because of tuition fees but because she actively wanted to remove a specific mp to remove them from their cabinet position. ok it didn't work but the mp does have a significantly reduced majority to think about. She also encouraged others to get out and vote.

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer · 09/06/2017 14:33

Completely agree. I have posted my original position on this on a few other threads..but it fits here as well Grin

I am getting a bit cheesed off with some of the criticism of the youth vote

We have known for years that they tend to vote left

We have been nagging at them for years to vote

Brexit was a big issue for youth as they tended to want remain

So now they vote...after being nagged at for years

They vote left as we have know for years they tend to do

And now we are pissed off.

Screwinthetuna · 09/06/2017 14:45

A lot of the young people were completely brain washed with incorrect propaganda. I read a lot of, 'by the end of the year, it will cost us £15,000 to give birth, we won't be able to afford a child, the children of parents on benefits won't get school lunch and will starve, all foxes will be killed.' Don't get me wrong, I'm against fox hunting and want to keep the NHS as much as the next guy but the 'OMG, i can't believe no kids are getting fed in school and we can't go to hospitals, defo voting Labour. Anyone who votes Tory is a selfish twat and getting deleted off my Facebook' was embrassing.

These are the same people who updated their status last night as 'just been to vote for the first time eva, did it in PEN so they can't rub it out!!!!!'

Leanback · 09/06/2017 14:47

People of all ages and political persuasion get blindsided by propaganda. But once again the youth are blamed Hmm

OP posts:
ethelfleda · 09/06/2017 14:47

I totally agree with you.
When Tory voters were promised 'strong and stable' which was complete BS
People are sore that IF did as well as he did... you could say absolutely any policy is a bribe or a freebie if you wanted!!

Thisisanotherusername · 09/06/2017 14:49

Agreed. It's patronising to say that young people were simply blinded by the proposal of no tuition fees. It was clear that the labour party offered a very different vision of the future than the tories.

HarrietKettleWasHere · 09/06/2017 14:49

Do you know many young people personally, Screwinthetuna?Hmm

SomewhatIdiosyncratic · 09/06/2017 14:52

What's the difference in a 18-25 year old voting for free tuition and a 60+ year old voting for protections on the value of a pension?

SeanSpicer · 09/06/2017 14:53

YANBU.

deuxmoulins · 09/06/2017 14:58

YANBU. I'm in the 18-24 bracket and got this a lot. It's condescending and largely untrue.

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer · 09/06/2017 14:58

screw

Bollocks

In the referendum some OLD people were writing in pen so that it couldnt be rubbed out. Some UKIP members were outside handing them out

A lot of OLD people come out with a whole lot of shit on facebook

A lot of OLD people believe everything they read in the papers

I am getting fed up with people have a pop at 18-24 year olds

There are fuck loads of stupid OLD people out there

Voting for a party you dont like doesnt make a YOUNG person stupid

And if thats the type of stuff you are getting on facebook i would suggest that it is more your friendship group thats the issue...not age

(Disclaimer- i am using the word OLD to mean over 24)

SockQueen · 09/06/2017 14:59

I made the mistake of reading the Sun yesterday (left on my table in Costa - I would never pay for that shite). One of the columnists had an only-half-tongue-in-cheek bit about how to prevent your children from voting because they'd only ruin it for those sensible proper grown-ups (who buy the Sun Hmm ). They must be so disappointed that the young adults of this country didn't fall for it.

FWIW I'm not in the "youth" demographic any more, but have voted at every election since I was eligible to do so.

Leanback · 09/06/2017 14:59

somewhat I'm not sure what your point is: mine is that very few 18-24's voted labour to scrap tuition fees.

OP posts:
squishysquirmy · 09/06/2017 15:00

YANBU.
I am sure that they all voted for a variety of reasons.
And even if some did vote for a "bribe" - how is that different to members of other generations voting for policies which directly affect them as an individual? Why shouldn't they take their own interests into account?

PumpkinPiloter · 09/06/2017 15:01

A lot of the young people were completely brain washed with incorrect propaganda. I read a lot of, 'by the end of the year, it will cost us £15,000 to give birth, we won't be able to afford a child, the children of parents on benefits won't get school lunch and will starve, all foxes will be killed.' Don't get me wrong, I'm against fox hunting and want to keep the NHS as much as the next guy but the 'OMG, i can't believe no kids are getting fed in school and we can't go to hospitals, defo voting Labour. Anyone who votes Tory is a selfish twat and getting deleted off my Facebook' was embrassing.

These are the same people who updated their status last night as 'just been to vote for the first time eva, did it in PEN so they can't rub it out!!!!!'

So lets get this right the youth of this country is foolish and will believe anything they read?

Where as clever tory voters are not swayed by media at all even though they had a huge marketing budget comparatively and almost all print media completely biased in their favour.

I must say out of all the many debates that I have had over the course of this election this is the one that has genuinely angered me.

We are just the guardians of the UK for our children. As it stands the younger generation will lose many of the benefits previous generations have enjoyed in part to help pay for the generous state pensions that they will never be entitled to.

I really believe we owe them the respect to not bundle them all together as gullible, selfish and ignorant.

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer · 09/06/2017 15:01

lean

somewhat means what squishy just said

Elefanteandbadbaby · 09/06/2017 15:02

Young people voted labour because they aren't old enough to remember how labour's last stint of building an economy on sky high levels of debt and house price inflation turned out.

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer · 09/06/2017 15:02

pumpkin

I agree

I am beyond fucking angry with this shitty attitude

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer · 09/06/2017 15:02

elefant

And what about the old people who voted labour?

Leanback · 09/06/2017 15:03

rufus ah got you

OP posts:
dontcallmelen · 09/06/2017 15:03

I so agree, just been reading some other threads spouting the same nonsense, very insulting pisses me off & I am a very old gimmer.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.