Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think young people voted for more than just 'tuition fee bribes'

92 replies

Leanback · 09/06/2017 14:22

Incredibly patronising to state that the youth have been 'conned and lied to' about what a labour government could bring. We didn't just vote for lower tuition fees, that doesn't even affect the majority of those who voted!

OP posts:
Riversleep · 09/06/2017 17:30

Yes its patronising. The 18-24 vote was over 70% for the first time ever. That is something good. Also, 70% of 18-24 year olds surely arent going to be affected by tuition fees. I had to explain elections and the parties to one of the mums at my kids' school in 2015. She was 47 and had never voted. Its also, as others have said, a bit rich to sneer at the young for getting their propoganda from social media when you are getting all your news from the Daily Mail and the Sun.

PortiaCastis · 09/06/2017 17:31

When Labour were in government tuition fees were not £9250 per annum as they are now

Calyrical · 09/06/2017 17:34

I'm not, Rivers, nor are many people. But if your point is that media is flawed, I agree.

histinyhandsarefrozen · 09/06/2017 17:42

The young should try and push hard for possibility of individual eu membership. At least then they'd have some rights that many have tried to deny them. The eu would be keen to have our young people there, while our economy goes down the pan.

Sprinklestar · 09/06/2017 17:42

True, Portia, but they started the slippery slope. It's been quite entertaining to watch them try and backpeddle throughout the course of this campaign.

Penhacked · 09/06/2017 17:44

the great thing about actually voting is that in future the think tanks and politicians will have to do a whole lot more soul searching to figure out what it was that brought out the younger voters. And tuition fees will be the very tip of the iceberg.

Oliversmumsarmy · 09/06/2017 17:47

I think JC's promise to build more than 1 million homes most of them social housing would have been at least as big a factor as tuition fee's

And there lies the point. Did no one ask where these million homes would be built or what did Labour mean by homes. Were these another million studio flats or 3 bed houses that someone could raise a family in.

FWIW I know many parent who voted Labour for the reason of no tuition fees not just 18year olds.

Louiselouie0890 · 09/06/2017 17:49

Whine they don't vote whine when they do, you can't win

SquidgeyMidgey · 09/06/2017 17:52

Personally I'm glad so many young people mobilised to vote, whatever their motive. I've been at it since 3 months after I turned 18. I say that as someone who voted Conservative yesterday.

What 'they' do or don't remember and how it impacts voting is worth a thought though. During a conversation at lunch with colleagues it transpired the only one of us who voted Labour is a yoof voter. She had never even heard of the IRA and visibly paled when told. She had no concept of the damage militant trade unionism can do.

But equally you could argue she's not a cynical old bugger like the rest of us. And we do live in a democracy where people are free to base their vote on whatever they see as the major issues etc.

Bottom line is personally I'm annoyed Labour did so well purely because it means they won't be getting rid of JC and it looks like I'm stuck voting conservative for the foreseeable future Wink but I am glad the yoof made their mark and got themselves heard.

BoneyBackJefferson · 09/06/2017 18:08

I suspect that people say it because its easier than admitting that people have different valid reasons for voting in someone different to them.

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer · 09/06/2017 20:42

Thank you pumpkin Smile

fakenamefornow · 10/06/2017 10:13

Agreed! Pensioners never, ever, vote for bribes.

JustAnotherPoster00 · 10/06/2017 11:42

Personally I'm glad so many young people mobilised to vote, whatever their motive. I've been at it since 3 months after I turned 18. I say that as someone who voted Conservative yesterday.

What 'they' do or don't remember and how it impacts voting is worth a thought though. During a conversation at lunch with colleagues it transpired the only one of us who voted Labour is a yoof voter. She had never even heard of the IRA and visibly paled when told. She had no concept of the damage militant trade unionism can do.

Because Corbyn has IRA 'links' Hmm are you feeling equally disturbed about the tories joining with the DUP?

I think the politicising of the 'yoof' started with the Indyref and then with Brexit, I think Camerham shot himself in the foot not giving 16 year olds the vote in that

MaximaDeWit · 10/06/2017 11:53

Yes, completely agree OP

I read a horrible article talking about how the youth of today are no longer the future, they're the past. Basically blaming their ignorance of history and gullibility for Labour getting so much support. One example was NI and how anyone who'd been around during the troubles could never vote for Corbyn. I wondered how my wonderful FIL, who put his life on the line serving in NI at the height of the troubles and is a Labour and JC supporter would have felt reading that.

Trills · 10/06/2017 11:59

The majority of 18-25 year olds can't be voting out of self-interest over tuition fees because it's too late for them.

If we had a change of government right now, it'd be too late to abolish tuition fees for the school year beginning in September.

So it's only those who are currently in sixth form or the first year of university who would benefit.

Atenco · 10/06/2017 12:27

While the Labour Party was in the hands of the Blairites there was little point in voting, as the difference between the Tories and the Labour Party was so minimal, what on earth was the point?

Floisme · 10/06/2017 13:24

Totally agree, op and I'm not far off pensionable age.

My 19 year-old knows far more about politics than I did at his age. Last time he was home, he explained the Middle East to me.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.