Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think young people voted for more than just 'tuition fee bribes'

92 replies

Leanback · 09/06/2017 14:22

Incredibly patronising to state that the youth have been 'conned and lied to' about what a labour government could bring. We didn't just vote for lower tuition fees, that doesn't even affect the majority of those who voted!

OP posts:
ghostyslovesheets · 09/06/2017 15:04

Blimey the Tory lot are bitter in the face of 'victory' aren't they?

Young people are capable of understanding politics and reading manifestos and shit you know

ghostyslovesheets · 09/06/2017 15:05

My mum voted labour - she's 71

So did I - at 47

Leanback · 09/06/2017 15:05

elefant you are right we can't remember. Because all we have known is new labour taking us in to illegal wars, a global recession which has left many of us reaching 18 with very few job prospects, then Tory governed austerity.

We are fed up! We have grown up with childhoods full of terrorism, food banks and public services which are failing. God forbid for once a party offers us something remotely hopeful.

OP posts:
Lancelottie · 09/06/2017 15:07

Most 21-24 year old students have already paid (well, borrowed) their tuition fees, surely?

dontcallmelen · 09/06/2017 15:09

I also remember 15% interest rates & black Wednesday & millions unemployed, so let's stop pretending that conservatives are the saviours of all our ills & are just as bad at times with the economy & debt as labour have been in the past.

Leanback · 09/06/2017 15:09

lance yep and I'm pretty sure those 18+ already in education won't be getting a refund.

So if we did vote for that it's so younger generations get free education. Ain't we nice.

OP posts:
alltouchedout · 09/06/2017 15:09

Spluttering pomposity from one of the few Tories on my facebook today who seems personally offended by the fact that a)young people voted and b)very few of them vote the way he would prefer. I'm waiting for him to argue the voting age should rise to 35.

Mulledwine1 · 09/06/2017 15:10

My mum voted Labour too, at the age of 78. I'd have thought that a lot of older people would actually trust Labour more to protect the NHS and their pensions.

Elefanteandbadbaby · 09/06/2017 15:12

New labour started their illegal war 14 years ago. Most voters under 25 have no meaningful memory of how it came about.

Screwinthetuna · 09/06/2017 15:13

Harriet, yes, I know a lot of young people personally as I'm pretty young myself.

squishysquirmy · 09/06/2017 15:15

Maybe you just know the stupid ones. Wink

Every generation has its idiots.

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer · 09/06/2017 15:17

squishy

Like i said

I think the issue may be the people screw knows on facebook

kmc1111 · 09/06/2017 15:17

Just like people with children are bribed by child related tax breaks and benefits, and people who make a lot of money are bribed by tax cuts, and people who own businesses are bribed by promises not to change employment regs, and so on and so on.

Young people come out to vote when someone actually represents their interests. Shocker!

Lancelottie · 09/06/2017 15:17

Not younger generations benefiting, Leanback, but younger brothers... now that's going to be irritating to your average big sister!

Leanback · 09/06/2017 15:19

elefant yet it has still fundamentally shaped our global community and our current society. The side effects on that war are something which under 25s have to live with whether the have an understanding of how it came about or not.

People are also capable of researching why things happened even if they didn't live through it. You can even study the past as a subject at school. They call it 'history'. Fascinating.

OP posts:
AvaCrowder2 · 09/06/2017 15:20

Jeremy Corbyn is not Tony Blair though is he?

If 14-16 year olds could vote I would think that tuition fees would be a deciding factor, but anyone who can vote now would have been unlikely to benefit. In my opinion and the teens I know are politically engaged and quite good historians.

I feel that they were against brexit and frustrated that they didn't all get to vote in the referendum.

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer · 09/06/2017 15:22

ava

Ds1 would have liked to vote in the referendum...less than 6 months too old

hazeydays14 · 09/06/2017 15:26

I think a lot of youth voted because a lot of old people voted Leave which fucked things up for them.. y'know, if you want to make sweeping and incorrect generalisations Hmm

20nil · 09/06/2017 15:28

YANBU I'm an academic and have spoken to loads of students lately. Honestly, not many spoke about fees. I don't think they actually believe it. Most spoke about Brexit and austerity. This is just anecdotal of course.

Tenshidarkangel · 09/06/2017 15:31

Post this on another page...
I'm now 27 (feeling slightly miffed I'm no longer classed as a "young person"
The youth voted for him because we're fed up of the conservative cuts!! Not just the tuition fees! The police, the NHS, education, because we can't afford to buy houses!! Because we're heading to the point we have to choose between having kids or being financially stable! We are sick and tired of being unheard. So yesterday we voted and we screamed what WE, the next generation, want and I couldn't be prouder of the massive hit we have caused Mrs May and her Party.

I was a little bit annoyed... If you can't tell..
I wish people would stop condescending the youth.

WomblingThree · 09/06/2017 15:32

Well DS, voting for the first time at nearly 20, voted on the basis of his own research and political views. As he works full time and isn't going to uni, I don't think tuition fees had a lot to do with it!

I assume all the people who slag off "young people" don't have any young people of their own? Because if you are slagging off the very generation you gave birth to and brought up, then it doesn't say a lot for your parenting skills does it!

MrsTerryPratchett · 09/06/2017 15:39

I knew a lot more about politics at 18 than I know now.

And my voting was never based on self-interest.

Some older people have a lot of contempt for young people.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

OddBoots · 09/06/2017 15:40

YANBU, the young voters I have spoken to hardly mentioned the fees, they are more worried about the NHS and some of them are worried about schools.

hazeydays14 · 09/06/2017 15:43

Wombling YES on the parenting thing. I like you.. Grin

As a young person (who will very soon be leaving that category cry ) I can honestly say that having already done uni, tuition fees were definitely not a deciding factor for me. I voted for what was in my best interest, and in my view the best interest for the country. As I'm sure anyone who voted did regardless of which party they chose.

If the youth had turned out in force to vote Conservative, I'm sure no one would be claiming 'brain washing' despite there being a much higher chance if you look at who actually runs the majority of British media Hmm

mummymeister · 09/06/2017 15:50

all over my facebook page today are young people slagging off old people for voting tory in our area. shocking age discrimination with comments like " why aren't you dead yet" and "lets bring in compulsory euthanasia" some of it is ageist hate crime in my view.

I wanted two things from this election:

Jeremy Corbyn in particular not to be given any power (and if possible to get sacked) and

Brexit - hard brexit not piss around pick and mix brexit.

looks like I wont get either but that is democracy for you.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.