Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think young people voted for more than just 'tuition fee bribes'

92 replies

Leanback · 09/06/2017 14:22

Incredibly patronising to state that the youth have been 'conned and lied to' about what a labour government could bring. We didn't just vote for lower tuition fees, that doesn't even affect the majority of those who voted!

OP posts:
harderandharder2breathe · 09/06/2017 15:55

I don't think they did.

But even if they did, how is it any worse than rich baby boomers voting Tory because they help the rich get richer?

harderandharder2breathe · 09/06/2017 15:56

Young people were fucked over by older generations voting for Brexit, of course they want their voices heard now

fakenamefornow · 09/06/2017 15:58

I'm just so glad they did vote. Hopefully they will see they can change things and politicians will stop completely fucking them over.

scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18953185_1068285886606753_1399347906302377540_o.png?oh=0c0499b5aca97f8b5e2ef8b959857514&oe=599E847A

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer · 09/06/2017 16:05

I dont do facebook

I thought the point was that stuff was fed through onto face book by your 'friends'

Or can it just appear?

FatBottomedGal · 09/06/2017 16:19

Young people are generally more likely to get their information from multiple sources, rather than just their favourite few newspapers. My DM reads the Daily Mail (much to my dismay) and didn't have any opinion outside of what was written in that throughout the entire campaign. And she voted Tory. She asked me today why I didn't, and I listed out a number of things that had put me off their campaign - most of which she had no idea about.

Calling the youth 'sheep' for making up their own minds on who to vote for seems rather pot-kettle-black to me.

SailAwayWithMeHoney · 09/06/2017 16:26

YANBU I'm sick of the patronising demeaning attitudes.

I'm in the 18-25bracket. My 69 year old neighbour told me yesterday the young shouldn't get to even vote because "they don't know anything". And I had friend so profess similar to me since they learned how I voted. 🙄 Apparently I know nothing because of my age.

Oblomov17 · 09/06/2017 16:31

It's not the only reason. But it is an important one. It would partly sway me, to think of no uni fees.

I, myself was one of the last students to experience uni, without the extortionate fees, all those years ago!! Blush

The other thing is that these new voters have not really known a labour government. They may not remember Blair that much. Cameron has been in power since 2010, so Tory since then. That's 7 years, so quite long. In politics.

These voters won't remember how young and exciting Blair was. But later we remember Iraq and the fact he left us in such deficit.

Now I am not a Tory fan. Nor Labour either. Wasn't a Blair fan either.

But one fact that the last 7 years of Tory rule can't deny, is that the austerity measures have reduced the deficit significantly.

Which is at least ONE good thing.

I'm just saying that these voters do not have much experience of previous governments, so may not realise that Corbyn may not be all that 'glitters, ISN'T gold'?

Oblomov17 · 09/06/2017 16:34

And young people are 'more' open minded to racism, other beliefs, other nationalities.

So Brexit, and the fact that Cameron made a big error in calling the Brexit vote in the first place, will hit these open minded youngsters, even more than maybe older generations?

So, they might blame Tory for Brexit mess more? This be more inclined to Labour?

olliegarchy99 · 09/06/2017 16:43

YABU
of course they voted in their own self-interest as most people do, rather than the good of the country as a whole. The point is many of them are not in work, have never worked, live at home with mum and dad and were constantly brainwashed on facebook and twatter with how evil the Conservatives were against the 'saintly' JC.
Canterbury was a case in point - students there number nearly 40,000. The Conservative MP only lost by less than 200 votes
It doesn't take many students and their mates blindly voting for the labour candidate to get a 200 vote majority Hmm

PumpkinPiloter · 09/06/2017 16:44

Rufus to answer your question on facebook information is spread in a few different ways.

You can share or post an article or comment which your friends will be able to see.

You can comment or like something that someone else posts which then means you friends can see your comments/like and others who have commented or liked the same.

You can like a page or person e.g the conservative party and you will their videos/posts on your feed which you can then choose to share/ like.

Additionally and this one has the biggest implications you get targeted advertisements which are often linked to your search history age or social class. I would really like to know how much the conservatives spent on FB targeted adverts and who exactly they targeted.

RiverTam · 09/06/2017 16:46

Whilst I have no doubt that young people voted the way they voted for many different reasons, same as every other age group, I wish that everyone would stop thinking that the only thing the previous Labour government did was the Iraq War. I find it hard to take anyone seriously who selectively only remembers that about Blair.

PumpkinPiloter · 09/06/2017 16:58

"But one fact that the last 7 years of Tory rule can't deny, is that the austerity measures have reduced the deficit significantly."

This is simply not true. Correlation does not mean causation.

Remember when the tories came into power in 2010 the world was just coming out of a global financial crysis.

You only need to google austerity to see that is a long way from being accepted as effective.

The prevailing economic wisdom is that austerity does not work and that we hampered are recovery by implementing austerity measures whilst countries that did not recovered faster.

If you do not believe me do your own research.

notgivingin789 · 09/06/2017 17:06

I'm in the 18-25 bracket, I didn't vote for labour because of their free tuition fee policy. I even posted a thread about my concerns over this particular policy, I voted got labour because the Tory party brought about the referendum, Brexit, cuts, the list goes on ....

histinyhandsarefrozen · 09/06/2017 17:09

Good for young people!

Maybe some were voting because of fees- why not?. Many were also voting against the erosion of the Nhs, the lack of affordable housing, and the removal of their rights by Brexit and may.

histinyhandsarefrozen · 09/06/2017 17:11

What nasty rubbish, Ollie, again.

charliethebear · 09/06/2017 17:14

I'm a young person, and not one of my friends voted labour because of tuition fees. We've all already gone to uni at £9000. I dont know why just because we are young we are supposed to be less well-informed than older people. Young people aren't stupid.
We can read and most of my friends were well informed and made their decision based on many things. Also I was 16 when the tories came into power, I can definitely remember a labour government, and am capable of learning about what all parties have done in the past.
I have read considerably more crap from conservative voting 50 year olds than any person my age on fb, but I also have the capacity to understand that its probably the 4 or 5 odd 50 year olds I have on fb not 50 year olds as a group Hmm

SomeOtherFuckers · 09/06/2017 17:14

Get bollocked for young people not voting .... say I voted labour and get told 'you haven't got a clue what you're doing' .... mate what?

TheNaze73 · 09/06/2017 17:16

It was the only reason my niece voted for them. If I was being waved a £30k bribe, I'd take it too

charliethebear · 09/06/2017 17:18

Also as a student, I have lots of friends doing degrees in politics and economics, some doing masters etc. Why are they 'less-informed" we talk to each other and learn from each other.
I also think younger people in general are more excited about voting so put time and effort into thinking about who to vote for.

AngelaTwerkel · 09/06/2017 17:19

Agreed, massively insulting. There is a LOT to be angry about with the status quo, and young people are going to inherit a mess.

Not surprised they want a change.

young people can't do anything right. They were bollocked for not turning out for Brexit, now they've signed up in large numbers they're told they've only done it for "bribes". Hmm

Calyrical · 09/06/2017 17:20

I think they'd have inherited more of a mess if Corbyn had got in, but they have the right to vote for that I suppose.

AngelaTwerkel · 09/06/2017 17:21

It was the only reason my niece voted for them. If I was being waved a £30k bribe, I'd take it too

Well there's always going to be voters who turn out on one issue, young or old. I know a few Tory voters who are only concerned about immigration.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

lessworriedaboutthecat · 09/06/2017 17:22

I think JC's promise to build more than 1 million homes most of them social housing would have been at least as big a factor as tuition fee's given that for many young people owning their own home is probably something they will be lucky to achieve by their 30's.

Calyrical · 09/06/2017 17:26

I do think there was a fair bit of hysteria to be honest which often spreads amongst young people, possibly because they use social media more.

Nuances tend to be ignored in politics: it's all about the simple stuff, so Corbyn became the nice old man who would not charge you to go to university and would pay you £10 an hour for your Burger King job. May, in contrast, was cold and officious and would charge you £7,000 to have a baby.

I'm pleased people voted, of course. But I wish we could all recognise that nothing is straightforward, simple or easy.

Sprinklestar · 09/06/2017 17:29

The irony! It was Labour who brought in tuition fees in the first place...

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.