My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think a Tory coalition with the DUP is a potentially terrifying prospect?

249 replies

AFierceBadRabbit · 09/06/2017 10:44

Not to mention the irony regarding so many ridiculous claims about corbyn sympathizing with terrorists. (The DUP are chock full of em!)

Who are the DUP, you may ask?

Here you go www.opendemocracy.net/uk/adam-ramsay/so-who-are-dup

OP posts:
LRDtheFeministDragon · 09/06/2017 10:47

Yep, it is terrifying. Sad

7Days · 09/06/2017 10:47

The DUP will be anti a hard Brexit. A Hard border will be disastrous for NI. So in that sense they will fight hard to soften the Tories.
But yes otherwise they are very socially conservative.

Ozzde · 09/06/2017 10:48

I'm from NI. I agree, terrifying. That's all I can say so far as I'm only awake without a coffee to take in this news.

Neolara · 09/06/2017 10:48

Blimey. I know nothing about then, but that article is scary.

LRDtheFeministDragon · 09/06/2017 10:49

they are very socially conservative

If that's a euphemism for racist, misogynistic, homophobic ... yes, they are.

(Sorry, I know you know this. I just can't help feeling 'socially conservative' doesn't quite cover it!)

Farahilda · 09/06/2017 10:52

DUP almost always vote with the Tories.

It'll be no more scary now than it has been for some decades.

Zipzapzop · 09/06/2017 10:52

Yes everyone is crowing about teaching the Tories a lesson
But it's the worst possible result

Labour LOST big time.

This isn't only about brexit it's about everything.

AFierceBadRabbit · 09/06/2017 10:52

I wonder how the daily mail will manage to put a positive spin on this one!

OP posts:
The80sweregreat · 09/06/2017 10:53

The DUP, they are right wing conservatives in Ireland?
Do they normally do well ?
Unchartered waters.
Could the Queen say no to this?

WannaBe · 09/06/2017 10:54

Yep. If you're a gay disabled woman then you're screwed.

lessworriedaboutthecat · 09/06/2017 10:54

I find it hard to see how Labour lost big time

PacificDogwod · 09/06/2017 10:56

Surely there are other options for a coalition?

Zipzapzop · 09/06/2017 10:56

Exactly wannabee. Do they not realise this... They will have to work together, for Corbyn voters this has to be the worst possible result

AFierceBadRabbit · 09/06/2017 10:57

I don't give two craps whether labour lost BIG TIME or even fucking bigly.

I gove a toss about poverty, inequality, the erosion of social care, the savage dismemberment of woodland animals, the foodbanks, the police cuts, the shoddy management of terrorism, the dementia tax, the disabled being thrown off their benefits, repulsive and unnecessary bedroom tax, the demonisation of the sick and disabled, Theresa May's husband profiting from OAP tax, the disregard of young people, the selling off of what's left of Britain, the proposed selling off of our NHS buildings that we fucking paid for in the first place.

Labour lost, but I am happy to see people waking up. That has power.

OP posts:
Ozzde · 09/06/2017 11:00

They lost seats in Stormont here last time 80 as the unionist side was split due to Arlene's involvement in a heating scandal and people losing faith in them. Nationalists gained. It's very unionist/nationalist voting here, or orange/green as we call it. Hence why people have voted more for DUP this time (I gather), to strengthen the unionist vote as it got too close. Ridiculously some voters go for this one issue rather than the party's actual policies.

BandeauSally · 09/06/2017 11:01

I'm in NI and I think it's fucking terrifying for everything other than brexit.

The80sweregreat · 09/06/2017 11:01

Labour lost, but still got 42 percent and narrowed the lead in 8 weeks.
I call it a victory of some sort.
Still not fantastic for labour supporters, but it could have been a lot worse.
A tory landslide and Corbyn may have had to resign.
May got it wrong.
I havent known times like this in decades! ( brexit muddies the water of course)

Zipzapzop · 09/06/2017 11:01

Also Theresa May won approx same % of vote as both Thatcher & Blair in winning their landslide victories.

chantico · 09/06/2017 11:05

Yes, that boundaries commission set of recommendations really does need bringing in asap.

Gileswithachainsaw · 09/06/2017 11:05

So there really is something worse than a Tory government. A Tory government with these guys.

Fuck.

AFierceBadRabbit · 09/06/2017 11:07

sounds like they've already struck a deal?

OP posts:
IDontBowlOnShabbos · 09/06/2017 11:07

They'll have a coalition for a few weeks but it might not last.

The conservatives are in the unenviable position of having to rely on religious fundamentalists to form a government.
Lots of people who voted Conservative did so because they want a hard brexit. It was her one policy she seemed to be 100% behind. No way will the DUP go for that.

I think we'll all be voting again in a few months.

IDontBowlOnShabbos · 09/06/2017 11:09

Plus the DUP are fucking terrorists. All that talk of Corybn and the IRA is looking a bit ridiculous now!

corythatwas · 09/06/2017 11:10

LRD, you missed off your list their strong links with loyalist paramilitary groups (= terrorists), especially the Ulster Resistance. At least until very recently several leading DUP politicians were also founder members of this group.

Which, as the OP says, is pretty ironic in view of the attempts to smear JC for his contacts in the past.

AFierceBadRabbit · 09/06/2017 11:10

from elsewhere online:

"Theresa May has struck a deal with the Democratic Unionists that will allow her to form a government, sources have confirmed.
The prime minister is expected to see the Queen at 1230pm to confirm that a deal is in place.
It follows extensive talks with the DUP late into the night. Party figures say they have been driven on this morning by their dismay at the possibility of Jeremy Corbyn becoming prime minister.
DUP figures insist that their relationship with May’s team has been close since she became prime minister 11 months ago.
A DUP source said: “We want there to be a government. We have worked well with May. The alternative is intolerable.
“For as long as Corbyn leads Labour, we will ensure there’s a Tory PM.”

But yeh, if you prefer this to a man who promotes equality and tolerance, go ahead.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.