Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

to start a spooky thread now it's nearly October? Come share!

140 replies

TheOrcHeadKeeper · 28/09/2013 13:22

Anyone have any spooky stories or unexplained happenings? Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

TheOrcHeadKeeper · 28/09/2013 13:28

The ones in chat always disappear!

OP posts:
Please
or

SodsLawRules · 28/09/2013 13:30

Nothing here, but marking place Smile

Please
or

absentmindeddooooodles · 28/09/2013 13:30

I have acouple but am currently sandwiched between two very arsey toddlers.......so you will have to wait until later :)

Please
or

Rachel778 · 28/09/2013 13:35

Yes. Many .

Please
or

freezation · 28/09/2013 13:40

Not that scary but the other evening DH was with DD in the dining room having dinner. I was laid out on the sofa in the front room mumsnetting and I heard the sound of someone (sounded like a child) running on our hall floorboards. I assumed it was DD but at that moment DH called out " was that you?". DD was in her high chair so it couldn't have been her and next door have carpets so not them either. I heard it so clearly and so did DH. Must be a rational explanation!

Please
or

Ghostlygirl · 28/09/2013 13:56

A friend of mine used to go to Highgate Cemetery in the middle of the night with his friends for a laugh when they were all teenagers, so in the early eighties. One night he got separated from the rest of them and saw a man in front of him, wearing a tall hat and smart, very old-fashioned clothes. Some time after that night, he heard about a rumour that a man fitting the same description apparently haunted the place. He swears he definitely saw the man, who looked directly back at him before walking off into the darkness, and he's also adamant he heard the rumour only after he had seen him. I'm keeping an open mind....

Please
or

BringBackBod · 28/09/2013 13:57

When I was younger I was sitting downstairs with dm one evening watching tv. No-one else was in the house.
Someone or something threw a power ball down the stairs. It was done with some force as the bloody thing was bouncing everywhere.

I hated that house. It was the most modern house I've ever lived in, but there was definitely something 'off' about it.

Please
or

TheOrcHeadKeeper · 28/09/2013 14:31

Oo creepy! Smile

Here's my two. The first one is just unexplained and a bit woo rather than spooky

My mum never would've made it past age 5 if it weren't for a WOO incident.

My gran had asked my grandad to watch her in the bath whilst she popped to the shops but him being a bit clueless about childcare (well it was the 70s and he was a business man who travelled most of the time) had gone to answer the phone in the other room for a second. My mum was fooling around and got her big toe stuck in the tap and was struggling to keep herself upright because of it. My gran says she just suddenly felt like she had to rush home because my mum was drowning, like she had a vivid image of it and even though it seemed ridiculous she says she had to rush home as it seemed so real.

Lo and behold, my mum was blue by the time my gran got there Shock but she made it.

And this one is really creepy to me, even now

I have a very very strong memory (but it must be a dream, or else it's just freaky as hell) from when I was a kid.

I'm about 3/4, stood in front of the radiator in our old house (it was an old Victorian terrace) when someone who I think is my mum lifts me up under the arms from behind so I can get a toy I stuck on the top of it back. She puts me back down and I turn around laughing but there's no one there...

It's a very strong 'imprint' whatever it is. I've never forgotten it or how scared it made me as a kid.

OP posts:
Please
or

SodsLawRules · 28/09/2013 14:34

Bringback spooky! What did your mum do?

Headkeeper they are actually terrifying! Confused

Please
or

TheOrcHeadKeeper · 28/09/2013 14:38

The one about my mum creeps me the hell out. Lots of people don't realize that when drowning, people often don't actually make much noise. My grandad said he was keeping an ear out for noise so thought everything was fine Hmm

My gran is a retired literature teacher & very very non-woo, which makes it weirder Grin

OP posts:
Please
or

BringBackBod · 28/09/2013 15:07

sodslaw It was over 30 years ago, so I can't really remember.
probably tried unsuccessfully to come up with an explanation.
We still talk about the bad vibes that house gave off. I've lived in quite a few houses since then, and never felt that way since
It's hard to explain.

Please
or

Ghostlygirl · 28/09/2013 16:20

Actually, I've just remembered a couple more, both photograph-related: Christmas in the early nineties, I bought my sister an outfit which she loved, and I photographed her wearing it. When the photo was developed, there was something on our living room wall which was not there in real life. It was like a bracket with a small rope hanging off it. I tried to figure out a rational explanation, like if my hand or the camera handle had got onto the lens, but it wouldn't have looked like that, and the thing is definitely on the wall, not suspended in the air.

The other one, I was at a friend's house and we were looking at her family photos, pictures taken one Christmas. Then we came to a photo and she said "don't mention this to my mum as it upsets her". It was a photo of her mother and at the side of the photo was a line of faces, all of the same woman. My friend said "that's my mother's mother, she had been dead for about 20 years when this picture was taken, and it's the only picture taken that day of Mum on her own."

If I remember any more, I'll report back.

Please
or

TheOrcHeadKeeper · 28/09/2013 18:02

That made me shiver!

I'm trying to remember a few more...

OP posts:
Please
or

ICameOnTheJitney · 28/09/2013 18:08

Oooh! Be back later!

Please
or

BeaWheesht · 28/09/2013 18:15

Marking my place but nothing exciting to add!

Please
or

TheOrcHeadKeeper · 28/09/2013 18:17

Some of my faves from other threads

'was having myself a nice afternoon bubbly bath after DP had taken the DC's out to the park, I was tunelessly singing along listening to the radio when it completely cut out. I thought "stupid old radio" and thought nothing of it till I got out of the bath and saw that the volume knob had been turned right down manually Shock ' - That would be enough to make me leave the house for a walk and a calm down Grin

'It is the mid 1970s.
I am aged around six, brushing my teeth in the bathroom.
Behind me on the floor is a plugged-in table lamp with no shade, for some reason.
The bulb is hot.
The water cascading from the tap is cool.
What would happen if hot met cold?
I pick up the lamp.
I approach the sink.
The tap is still running.
The bulb is still shining.
My arm is lifting the lamp to the sink.
A loud voice says: "NO!"
I look round.
I am alone.
I put the lamp down.
I turn the tap off.
I go to bed' - Brrrrrrr

OP posts:
Please
or

MrsMongoose · 28/09/2013 18:30

I love these! Nothing to add but more please!

Please
or

SodsLawRules · 28/09/2013 18:36

Bringback after I read it I was trying to imagine me and my 5 yo dd in that situation.
Conclusion
We'd run screaming!!GrinBlush

Please
or

TheOrcHeadKeeper · 28/09/2013 18:40

My DG's house is a very old (Charles Dickens wrote some of David Copperfield in it, so you KNOW it's old). The room me & DS stay in if we go to visit is lovely but the door always opens itself around 2 or 3 in the morning. You can hear the bolt slide in the handle and then it clicks open...

I genuinely avoid going to stay if I can help it as it creeps me out. Also, people have a habit of dying in the room that is now the bathroom and it's all big and echoey and I hate it Grin

OP posts:
Please
or

misskatamari · 28/09/2013 18:49

Ooooh I love a good creepy thread (although I always end up scared and having to go to the loo in the night with the light on!).

Luckily I don't have anything creepy to add!

Please
or

onenutshortofasnickers · 28/09/2013 19:17

This is the link for an old spooky thread (hope this works!)

Spooky thread

I have a few woo stories but will take me a long time to write it all out!

Please
or

TheOrcHeadKeeper · 28/09/2013 19:22

Oo thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

FlobberWobber · 28/09/2013 19:32

We live in a very old house. I was sitting on the loo with the door open, the stairs lead up to the loo, I saw someone coming up the stairs. I finished on the loo and peeked round the door where I thought one of my DC was hiding and there was no one there. I wasn't scared, just really bewildered.

My brother had a bad car accident a few years ago, at the time the accident happened I had a sudden excruciating pain in my head (I never get headaches), it was so bad I had to lie down. 20 minutes later we ogt a call from the police to say we needed to get to the hospital as there had been an accident.

Please
or

onenutshortofasnickers · 28/09/2013 19:37

Yes it worked! Grin proud

When I was little at my parents house a lot of spooky things happened; objects would move, things would be in weird positions, rooms would have bits of furniture move; my parents presumed it was me and my sister but they wouldn't believe us when we said it wasn't!
We were all in the room once when the tv turned itself off, doors would slam on days with no wind, footsteps, heavy breathing- just a very horrible feeling about that house!

What happened to me was I was in bed 'reading' to myself (I was about 6/7,) I used to keep my beside amp on as I was scared of the dark and the was a shadow on the wall of a person, who I presumed was me.
Now I quite liked staying up past bedtime and reading my story books and would happily do this for an hour as no one noticed as my light was on so they thought I was asleep, but I went to put the book down on the lamps table and kind of laid down to do it- my shadow moved from completely the other end of the room, this other shadow, which I now realised looked like a man stayed still staring at me! I moved up and down frantically trying to make this other shadow move thinking it was mine; it didn't move. I then said 'hello?' The man shadow?! turned and walked sideways then into the wall going to the toilet...I ran downstairs screaming!
I was definitely not asleep or dreaming or anything!

One day I was in my room drawing and from right behind me a mans voice said my name; I thought that's odd Dad's at work, Mum is downstairs I imagined it, until I heard them say my name again, I went down to ask my Mum if she had called me but she hadn't.

My sister has heard things move in that house and footsteps and breathing that both her and her ex have witnessed/heard at the same time!

She moved into my room when I left but hated it soo much she moved out- not even friends like that room, they said it had a bad feeling.

The day my Dad's Mum, Nanny, died; I woke up in the morning and knew and told my Dad 'Nanny's going to die today' (she wasn't ill or anything, such a charming child I was!) My Dad said I was being silly, but I just had this feeling I couldn't shake; that evening she had multiple heart attacks and passed away- I still get that feeling now with relatives I'm close too, I know that it will be the last time I see them, I don't tell anyone this as I don't like it! I was Lower primary age when my nanny died.

When my Granddad was very ill (Nanny's husband; after her death,) we were all at his and I was demanding to know if he was okay because no one else is noticing, they all went to ask him and ended up calling an ambulance as he was very poorly. (I think angina, it was lucky everyone was there!)

Me and my sister have both seen our other Grandma after she had died- it was really nice and she was happy and she was smiling at us and came over to hug us. We were playing in the garden whilst we were at our other granddads and I think we saw her a second time, but we were young and I can't be sure; but we both think she is there watching Granddad, we think he might see her too with things he has said but who knows.
It was so nice and there was just a happy feeling when she saw us and we weren't scared at all and we didn't even go 'what? your dead!' we just were happy and she was happy; it's like we all knew what was going on, I really miss her!

That's it really, I am a bit woo though and I know practical people will explain it away- I would be happy for all the others to be something explainable as they are all horrible feelings and things, the grandma visiting us I don't want explaining, I like to remember it!

Please
or

ItsAliveItsElectric · 28/09/2013 19:39

In our old flat the landlady said an old lady had died in it a few years back before she bought it. Not long after we moved in I started finding old fashioned hair pins in weird places like in the middle of the living room floor or the cutlery drawer or even my underwear drawer! It freaked me out. When DS was born we would sometimes hear his musical toys starting up in the night or when he was napping and it would wake him up. One night after my DH got in off night shift he locked the door and before he could come upstairs he heard a loud "ssshhh!". He thought it was me but when he got in our bedroom I was asleep! I went to see a psychic one time and she said she could sense an old lady who had passed over in our flat who used to stand in the kitchen doorway watching me wash up! DS actually sometimes used to look there and smile and I thought nothing of it. It did freak me out a bit but actually I never felt the presence was bad, just protective. Other things happened like things disappearing and reappearing in different places and electrical things turning off suddenly but it never scared me. We recently moved out but I sometimes miss the old place!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?