My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Shark vacuum - overhyped influencer brand or genuinely good?

97 replies

ImAbigDill · 16/01/2023 09:26

I need a new vacuum and my old one is on it’s last legs. I can’t afford the same brand so looking at cheaper options and Shark keeps popping up. I have two long haired cats, plus my thick hair. I live in a city where there are lots of construction works happening around me so my home gets dusty frequently.

This thread is a bit old now, so if you have landed here looking for recommendations, we recently updated our best Shark vacuum cleaners round-up, featuring the best products tried, tested and recommended by Mumsnetters.
We hope you find this useful.
MNHQ Flowers

OP posts:
LadyIckenham · 16/01/2023 12:26

I really like my Shark, DH hates it and has bought another Henry. The Shark does require a lot of maintenance, though (cleaning filters etc.) so I suspect that a combination of both will work well.

DRS1970 · 16/01/2023 12:31

I have two Shark cordless vacs. They are brilliant in my opinion. I had a Vax cordless before them, and it was pretty poor, as kept developing faults every couple of months.

FuckabethFuckor · 16/01/2023 12:32

OIB.

jmh740 · 16/01/2023 12:39

I have had a shark for 5 years, had a Dyson before them, I did love it until i got a dog 2 years ago I have to unblock it practically every time I use it. Me and dd both have long hair and the roller needs unblocking a lot, my dad got a Henry last week and I'll be going for one of them next time

theemmadilemma · 16/01/2023 12:42

I have this one and love it!

sharkclean.co.uk/product/shark-anti-hair-wrap-corded-stick-pet-vacuum-hz500ukt-zidHZ500UKT

Two small grumbles. I wish they'd come up with something extractable for the cord. And yes it's not as light as some, but boy is it powerful imo.

It leaves little patterns on the carpet that make it look so lovely and clean. DH used it at the weekend while I was away and he was shocked how much it took up off a fairly visually clean carpet.

Talkwhilstyouwalk · 16/01/2023 12:49

Easy to empty and good suction. Only thing I would say is they are quite heavy.

Haven't had any problems with it but I'm not sure it's any better than any other good vacuum cleaner.

I hated Henry.....

Tidsleytiddy · 16/01/2023 13:10

I love my Shark. Best vacuum ever

Snoopysimaginaryfriend · 16/01/2023 13:19

We just got the new shark stratos and it’s amazing (dog, cat, three long haired people in house)
We used to have a Dyson but we had replaced pretty much every component so it was a bit like Trigger’s Broom.
The shark is better.

justgettingthroughtheday · 16/01/2023 13:26

I have two corded upright sharks! I love them both! I have two because they are too heavy for me to carry up and down the stairs (but run pretty much everything bar the handheld vacuums are).
You do need to keep the filters clean. I have spare sets of filters for both of mine and swap them over frequently to clean.
I love the lights on the front of them making it easy to see things in front of it which could clog it up.

ImAbigDill · 16/01/2023 13:33

I’m so confused now. I’m in a flat, no stairs so not bothered by cords or lugging it up and down.

OP posts:
joaniegirl · 16/01/2023 13:37

There was a thread about vacuum cleaners recently. Most recommendations were for Miele or Henry, Shark, apart from one or two people was pronounced as rubbish and blocked easily. Yet people popped up towards the end saying they wanted to buy a Shark and asking which people recommended. Very strange considering it had received such bad feedback in the thread.

Anyway. I'm in house work groups on social media and there's a lot of Shark problems posted - always the vacuum cleaner mentioned! Mostly blocked, problems with suction and general longevity.

joaniegirl · 16/01/2023 13:40

IDoAllMyOwnStunts · 16/01/2023 11:36

There is a thread in chat called something like 'Ode to my Shark Vacuum cleaner how much I hate thee'.
Hilarious Shark hate from all of us poor fools who got sucked in. (Unlike the shark which has a hissy fit any time something bigger than a apple pip is sucked up).

I remember that!

shard5 · 16/01/2023 13:42

I. Have the corded shark with anti hair wrap. It's much more powerful than any cordless I've had previously and my carpet that had started to look tired after just two years of using a cordless dyson has its shine back! I've only had the shark for two months and it's made such a difference already. The only thing I'll say is it topples over really easily when I'm using the wand.
The anti hair wrap works really well too, 3 DDS and I all have long hair but I've not had to clear any hair off the brush bar, it all goes straight into the bin.

shard5 · 16/01/2023 13:46

It also came with a 5 year Guarantee where as the Dyson has a two year one. The kids don't like it as it's heavier than a cordless and doesn't look as modern with its boxy front but I'm prioritising my carpet over looks!
The hose isn't as long so doesn't do a full staircase on it's own but the lift away feature means you can separate the hose and bin section and take it with you.
Sorry if this is all a bit disjointed but I'm trying to put the pros and cons in as i remember them

PaperMonster · 16/01/2023 14:06

Don’t rate the cordless Shark, although it’s handy for stairs if you live in a house with a lot of stairs! But the corded ones are great!

Choccyp1g · 16/01/2023 14:13

paintitallover · Today 10:54

Everyone has their favourites, but I'm not sure that the perfect, reliable, lightweight, high suction vacuum cleaner exists.

^
|

Agree with this. If the perfect vacuum cleaner existed, it would be everyone's favourite.

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats · 16/01/2023 14:16

We have a wired Shark, (plus 2 long haired and 2 short haired cats)
I love it - it's the best hoover we've ever had, you just need to keep the filters clean.

BeanCounterBabe · 16/01/2023 14:19

I’ve got a cordless hair wrap Shark and it is without doubt the worst appliance I have ever bought. Constantly getting clogged up and having to take it to pieces to get the tiny bit of fluff blocking the hose out. We have one not particularly hairy cat and it can’t even cope with that.

AnneElliott · 16/01/2023 14:19

I live mine - much better than the Dyson i had before.

AnneElliott · 16/01/2023 14:19

Love it rather than live it!

DisgraceToTheYChromosome · 16/01/2023 14:39

I've got a corded upright and it's bestial. DGS brings in a lot of sand (well, we all do) after a day out. The Shark gets it all out, including the gaps between the hearthstone and the floor. As for carpets, it really brings the pile up.

toomanydicksonthedancefloor1 · 16/01/2023 14:52

Shark cordless anti hair wrap is the biggest pile of crap ever. Finally got rid of mine last month and went back to Dyson cordless. But I've heard the wired ones are better.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.