My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Shark vacuum - overhyped influencer brand or genuinely good?

97 replies

ImAbigDill · 16/01/2023 09:26

I need a new vacuum and my old one is on it’s last legs. I can’t afford the same brand so looking at cheaper options and Shark keeps popping up. I have two long haired cats, plus my thick hair. I live in a city where there are lots of construction works happening around me so my home gets dusty frequently.

This thread is a bit old now, so if you have landed here looking for recommendations, we recently updated our best Shark vacuum cleaners round-up, featuring the best products tried, tested and recommended by Mumsnetters.
We hope you find this useful.
MNHQ Flowers

OP posts:
TheVanguardSix · 16/01/2023 09:34

So many MNers have had nothing but good experiences with their Sharks but I just couldn’t get on with mine. It just didn’t do the work that my ol’ reliable bagged Miele does (as well as my Eufy robot vacuum, which I use downstairs on the hardwood and tile floors). I really didn’t like the Shark and sold it to a very happy buyer through eBay.

SomethingLessIdentifiable · 16/01/2023 09:36

I just wasn’t impressed, despite the glowing reviews from people I know.

I sold it on Facebook and ended up with another Miele.

chipsandpeas · 16/01/2023 09:36

i love mine, much better than the dyson it replaced

keri17 · 16/01/2023 09:36

I’ve had cordless and wired, after years of a Dyson. I find the wired Shark better than cordless . I’d never go back to Dyson after seeing the difference.

Flowersonthewall123 · 16/01/2023 09:37

We had a dyson which started to play up so jumped on the shark band wagon…..I was just vacuuming thinking this is loads better than my Dyson and I don’t think I would buy another one.

If it’s handheld, I have found the shark better than the dyson

Leafsontheline · 16/01/2023 09:38

Utter crap. Blocks up every time I use it, then needs each part cleared out. Really disappointed with it.
I think the bend between the brush and the pole is too tight an angle so even the smallest amount of debris can’t work it’s way up the pole, add in dog and human hair and there’s no chance..
the anti hair wrap thing just doesn’t work.

Winemygoodenemy · 16/01/2023 09:42

I love mine. I have a long haired cat and lots of my own hair. Much better than my Dyson.

admittedly meile was the best one. But this is a very close comparison.

I hoovered my my Dyson and then again with my shark cordless to see. Sharks bin was full. It’s got good power and battery life. Happy with mine

AlmondBake · 16/01/2023 09:42

There was a thread in AIBU end of Dec about vacuum cleaners. Sorry, on my phone and don't know how to link to it.

There were a few Shark supporters (not me - bad experience). But the overwhelming majority (including me) were in favour of Henry.

Having had Shark, Dyson, Miele etc vacuums I would never have anything other than Henry now. We have a mixture of floors - wood, tiles, thick rugs, carpet. Plus dogs.

cushioncovers · 16/01/2023 09:46

My Dyson gave up the ghost and I couldn't afford another one so I got a shark. It's ok nothing special.

U1sce · 16/01/2023 09:46

Im happy with mine, it has really good suction and the liftaway bit is handy for doing the stairs etc. Ive only had a blockage when I sucked up a sock! Before this I had cheapy ones and a cery old second hand dyson so I dont really have anything decent to compare it to. As I say though Im happy with it so wont be changing it until it is thoroughly dead!

Whinge · 16/01/2023 09:47

There was a thread in AIBU end of Dec about vacuum cleaners. Sorry, on my phone and don't know how to link to it.

There were a few Shark supporters (not me - bad experience). But the overwhelming majority (including me) were in favour of Henry.

Having had Shark, Dyson, Miele etc vacuums I would never have anything other than Henry now. We have a mixture of floors - wood, tiles, thick rugs, carpet. Plus dogs.

I agree. Henry is amazing.

People I know who have bought a Shark / Dyson always start off thinking they're the best thing they've ever bought, but after a few months of use they're complaining about lack of suction and constant blockages.

Thesonglastslonger · 16/01/2023 09:47

I don’t have one but a few of my friends got one and replaced it a couple of years later, saying it was annoying.

I have a Miele which I love.

Thesonglastslonger · 16/01/2023 09:48

Also only get a Henry if you don’t mind huge amount of noise. I couldn’t stand mine and gave it away.

pointythings · 16/01/2023 09:50

I love mine. It's cordless and lightweight and it picks up more stuff than my old Dyson ever did. I have 4 cats so yes, I have to clean out its pipes after every vacuum but that's increadibly easy to do.

crackersforcheese · 16/01/2023 09:54

I had a dyson cordless, worst purchase I've ever made, didn't think it was picking much up. Went and bought a shark corded and where I had just hoovered with the dyson it filled the chamber up! Brilliant suction and handy lift away!

HiccupHorrendousHaddock · 16/01/2023 09:54

We’d had Dysons until recently and while they were good in the early years the recent models have been shite.

After reading Which about vacuums we got a Shark for around £200. I swear the carpet was a shade lighter after we first used it! 2 cats, 2 people with long hair and I couldn’t believe how much stuff it could suck up when we’d actually vacuumed with the Dyson first for a comparison.

It’s quite a lot heavier but it does a fantastic job for us. (Tempted to use the attachment of the worst culprit for shedding his fur 😉 )

BooCrew · 16/01/2023 10:02

I hate my cordless Shark. It was great for a few months, but now it's completely lost suction when used as a full length hoover. The handheld bit still works though - it's fine but nothing special, and quite heavy.

I used to have a Dyson V8 which was brilliant, only replaced it when it fell apart and now I can't bring myself to give the owner money.

I'm now trying to decide between an Airram Gtech - which my MIL has and seems great, but I've seen poor reviews on here - and a Henry, which I already know I hate from a long-ago cleaning job. Urrrrrgh.

ImAbigDill · 16/01/2023 10:06

Mixed response. My current one is a Miele which I love but as mentioned I can’t afford. I didn’t think about Henry, maybe I’ll give that a try.

OP posts:
JillBidensShoes · 16/01/2023 10:07

I am starting to hate my Henry. It’s heavy, cumbersome and the body crashes into my skirting boards and has chipped them. It’s a pita to get upstairs. It cleans well (sometimes too well and I have lost count of the number of face cloths it’s sucked up) but it is suited to more heavy duty/builder’s rubble type of mess rather than light domestic cleaning.

I‘ m also interested in a Shark. I bought a g-tech and it was bloody useless.

Whatevergetsyouthroughthenight · 16/01/2023 10:12

Corded shark here after years of various Dysons.

Shark much much better. It’s so much easier to switch from using the hose attachment to the upright mode, you can lift off the motor and bag bit really quickly and easily so that you can use it in different configurations for different jobs.

QuietYou · 16/01/2023 10:13

I agree Henry is great at cleaning but noisy, cumbersome and always falling over.

I love my Miele the last one I bought was cheaper than the Shark that the sales assistant was encouraging me to buy.

Lastqueenofscotland2 · 16/01/2023 10:14

I think they used to be fantastic but the build
quality these days is shocking for the price.
Cumbersome and heavy? Yes but my Henry is AMAZING

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

Margrethe · 16/01/2023 10:17

I have a shark handheld. Its pretty feeble.

I have a 20 year old Sebo which I love. Powerful and indestructible. It has the old, larger motor.

Follycastle · 16/01/2023 10:19

I have a corded shark for a proper vacuum once a week and whilst I find it a little heavy it does a great job and picks everything up without any trouble.

I have a handheld Dyson for vacuuming on the other days, had it years and it’s more than adequate for those quicker maintenance vacuums.

stbrandonsboat · 16/01/2023 10:20

They're okay. Quite heavy though and they fall over.
You need to wash the filters regularly to ensure suction keeps up. Better than a Dyson and cheaper so at least you don't feel you've wasted loads of money.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.