My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Shark vacuum - overhyped influencer brand or genuinely good?

97 replies

ImAbigDill · 16/01/2023 09:26

I need a new vacuum and my old one is on it’s last legs. I can’t afford the same brand so looking at cheaper options and Shark keeps popping up. I have two long haired cats, plus my thick hair. I live in a city where there are lots of construction works happening around me so my home gets dusty frequently.

This thread is a bit old now, so if you have landed here looking for recommendations, we recently updated our best Shark vacuum cleaners round-up, featuring the best products tried, tested and recommended by Mumsnetters.
We hope you find this useful.
MNHQ Flowers

OP posts:
swimmingincustard · 16/01/2023 11:04

Love my wired one, 100% better than wire free Dyson but it is heavy.

Rocketpants50 · 16/01/2023 11:05

Does the job but with 1 dog and 3 children you have to be careful what you hoover up. So before I hoover I need to go round and pick up anything that might go up - e.g. small bits of wrapper etc as it gets blocked really easy - took me an hour to unblock it when a couple of stray bits went up the pole. I have to take apart and use a skewer then a long metal pole to get it all out. I never had any problems like this when Henry. Is ok for now but if and when it dies I probably won't get another - though I do love the light on the front, and works wonders on my rug though not so great on the wooden floor.

Just don't hoover up flour!

80sMum · 16/01/2023 11:10

Thesonglastslonger · 16/01/2023 09:48

Also only get a Henry if you don’t mind huge amount of noise. I couldn’t stand mine and gave it away.

Really?! I'm amazed!
My Henry is the quietest by far out of all the vacuum cleaners I've had! The lack of loud noise is one of the many things I really like about Henry!

SprayedWithDettol · 16/01/2023 11:13

I had a shark cordless that was ok. It has recently died and I bought a Bosch unlimited 7 to replace it. So much better. I wouldn't ever recommend a shark now I know what other vacuums can do.

Deeandra · 16/01/2023 11:15

Now that I have a bagged cleaner (Miele), I'd never go back to bagless. I'm not really sure what the benefits are to bagless (apart from a small cost every few months). They're so messy!

Mabelface · 16/01/2023 11:22

My shark is excellent. Its the wired liftaway pet one. It's easily managed 3 long haired people plus cats. Had it for 4 years now and still going strong. I love the hair wrap thingy on it.

Stickytreacle · 16/01/2023 11:26

Ive ten cats and a v.large dog. Hoovers Ive had include Kirby, Miele, Henry, eufy, gtech, bosch athlet and vax.
my favourites by far are the miele for hard floors, the vax air stretch for carpets and the eufy/bosch for a quick whip round. I currently have a Vax lift off which Im not keen on, and will be going back to the vax air stretch because it will do a very large area without changing sockets, it picks up brilliantly and isnt too expensive. I hated the Henry getting stuck around furniture and I frequently lost my patience with him, he's been rehomed to the garage for his welfare and my sanity.

MugginsOverEre · 16/01/2023 11:27

I have a corded one. And I adore it. When I've heard of people not liking theirs, more often than not it's been the cordless and anti-hair wrap. I guess there's more to go wrong?

I loved the bones of my old Dyson animal ball (wired) and was gutted when it died and the cordless Dyson replacement didn't come slightly close to being anywhere near as good so in the end, a corded Shark it was.

Greysofa · 16/01/2023 11:29

I’ve got a corded shark which is great and totally happy with. We wanted a handheld for ease for stairs and cars etc so ordered the stick version, arrived damaged and customer service has been appalling so it has tainted my view somewhat

Butwhytho · 16/01/2023 11:32

I’d say pretty good. I just got a cordless one, with all the anti hair wrap etc faff, and it’s handling our home pretty well.. not an easy job, given it’s a farmhouse with a farmer DH, toddler who wants to be just like daddy so always muddy and covered in straw and god knows what else, two indoor dogs, three sneaky outdoor dogs (glares at sneaky dog 1 currently ‘hiding’ by the woodburner) horse detritus being dragged in always, a couple of woodburners and agas so all the mess that comes with solid fuel… the anti hair wrap is a godsend too, I have very long, very thick hair and it’s inclined to wreck any other hoover but the shark copes wonderfully!
MIL has a corded one, says the suction is a bit too good, keeps lifting the carpet.

wineymummy · 16/01/2023 11:32

We had a Henry, I hate it - it's soooo heavy. Awkward to store. Falls over. Never ever made it upstairs. Now lives in the garage for DIY use only.
We got a handheld Shark. It annoyed me a lot because it was always getting blocked - but now I religiously empty it after every hoover, and regularly check the filter (sometimes just knocking dust out into the wheely bin, other times washing it) and that has improved it a lot. If the container bit isn't full, stuff doesn't tend to end up lodged in the stick.
But then again, maybe after 5 years I'm just used to having a high maintenance hoover and it doesn't bother me anymore. It still cleans really well after all these years.

magma32 · 16/01/2023 11:34

I don’t follow influencers to know it’s an influencer brand. I have a which? Subscription and it did well on the reviews. I have used a Henry and Dyson and prefer my shark as it has good suction with less effort, I have a long haired cat so i need it. The Henry is great but too bulky and tiring for me. I would’ve tried a Miele but this was cheaper. It does get knocked over easily etc but I love the suction so don’t mind the annoying bits.

magma32 · 16/01/2023 11:34

Mine is corded by the way. I find cordless across all brands to be rubbish.

Quveas · 16/01/2023 11:35

Both Shark and Dyson were over-priced crap. I have a Bissel SmartClean, and an AEG pet cordless - both beat the hell out of Shark and Dyson.

annonymousse · 16/01/2023 11:35

I love my cordless shark for daily Hoover ups but have a bagged Miele for weekly thorough hoovering. I have two dogs and long hair myself.

guessmyusername · 16/01/2023 11:36

I am having a bad experience with Shark at the moment. I bought one for my daughter at the beginning of November with several accessories as a bundle. However only the basic vacuum arrived with none of the accessories. We contacted customer services who sent out 2 of the missing items but the third was out of stock. They asked me to check back in a couple of weeks. I have now checked back 4 times and each time it is still out of stock with no idea when it will be back. They are still selling the bundle so there must be quite a few others in the same position.
I have miele and have had it for several years and am very happy with it but I don't have pets.

IDoAllMyOwnStunts · 16/01/2023 11:36

There is a thread in chat called something like 'Ode to my Shark Vacuum cleaner how much I hate thee'.
Hilarious Shark hate from all of us poor fools who got sucked in. (Unlike the shark which has a hissy fit any time something bigger than a apple pip is sucked up).

TabithaTittlemouse · 16/01/2023 11:39

I replaced our Miele cat and dog with the shark lift away, it’s good.

whatever1980 · 16/01/2023 11:40

Loved mine - more than the Henry even (I have way too many hoovers for one house - shark, Henry, eufy robot and cross wave)

However belt has slipped and now roller won't go round. Apparently need to buy whole new unit for £60 as too difficult to access to replace belt which is rubbish

Jins · 16/01/2023 11:45

It depends where you’re coming from. If you’re used to Miele or sebo then it’s not a huge difference. If you’re changing from dyson you should notice a difference.

I went over my living room with my new shark after doing it with a Henry and had to empty the container twice. If there’s one vacuum that’s overhyped it’s the Henry.

Mummieslncorporated · 16/01/2023 11:48

I'm not a Henry fan, although modern ones might be better? My shark has been amazing. I used to have to use a rubber broom to pick up hair before vacuuming - no longer! Cleaning the floors is so much quicker and easier, and the hairy rug I have has literally never looked better.

DaisyCornflowerBlue · 16/01/2023 12:09

I had a He ray but my very fluffy cat's hair was a challenge for him/it. We got a Shark and we pick up much more pet and human hair. No problems with it at all.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

DaisyCornflowerBlue · 16/01/2023 12:10

DaisyCornflowerBlue · 16/01/2023 12:09

I had a He ray but my very fluffy cat's hair was a challenge for him/it. We got a Shark and we pick up much more pet and human hair. No problems with it at all.

Henry no He ray

IAmWomanHearMeRoar1 · 16/01/2023 12:17

I have a corded Shark and the suction is absolutely AMAZINGLY STRONG, almost tries to lift the carpet up, but the thing is so heavy to push that it's a major ordeal using it. I don't know what I'll get next when this goes, but I have a love/hate relationship with it because of how great the suction is but it really clings to the carpet and is so much effort to use. I'm thinking about hiring a cleaner to vacuum for me but I don't think anyone would have the strength to use it, they'd have to bring their own vacuum cleaner.

Devilou666 · 16/01/2023 12:23

I swapped my Henry for a shark in my old house full of carpet and the difference was unbelievable,the shark picked up so much more out of the carpet,I hoovered with Henry then went over with shark to prove this.
But...now I've moved and it's all wood floors except the stairs and after 5 months I'm going back to a Henry as the shark just isn't as good on the wood floor,I'm spending nearly all my time bent over with the pipe to hoover properly instead of the upright,back breaking.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.