Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Overheard in Waitrose

Clockwatching54321 · 23/09/2022 19:13

Overheard in Waitrose today a couple talking about how they coped with the mortgage rates being 15% and that people are over reacting about the percentage creeping up. I was really trying not to say anything but loads of people lost their houses when the rates where are 15% in the 90s and I don’t think the rates need to even reach 5-10% now days before we see people loosing their house.

i just looked and our mortgage of just over £200k would be nearly £3k a month at 15%.

just to add fuel the fire they talked about the line up for strictly saying theirs someone disabled who will end up winning as they will get all the sympathy votes, if disabled people want to take part it should be against other disabled people so it fair. 🤯🤯🤯

Any other overheard in Waitrose stories?

OP's posts:
Please
or

coronafiona · 23/09/2022 19:15

I haven't heard anything like that in Aldi Grin

Please
or

MeridasMum · 23/09/2022 19:46

Overheard in Waitrose today a couple talking about how they coped with the mortgage rates being 15% and that people are over reacting about the percentage creeping up. I was really trying not to say anything but loads of people lost their houses when the rates where are 15% in the 90s and I don’t think the rates need to even reach 5-10% now days before we see people loosing their house.

i just looked and our mortgage of just over £200k would be nearly £3k a month at 15%.

just to add fuel the fire they talked about the line up for strictly saying theirs someone disabled who will end up winning as they will get all the sympathy votes, if disabled people want to take part it should be against other disabled people so it fair. 🤯🤯🤯

They sound delightful

Please
or

Ilikewinter · 23/09/2022 19:50

Are they not allowed to have an opinion?

Please
or

ShowOfHands · 23/09/2022 19:54

Well of course they can. And op can react to that opinion. And you can have an opinion on that reaction. And then I can have an opinion on your opinion. And eventually MN will eat itself. What larks, eh?

Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 23/09/2022 19:55

How did you get to hear all of that conversation without lingering next to them for quite a while.

Please
or

PinkButtercups · 23/09/2022 19:55

Of course they are but not when they're bashing disabled people. Just makes them assholes.

Please
or

Thestagshead · 23/09/2022 19:55

Sure, cool story.

Please
or

iklboo · 23/09/2022 19:57

Ableism isn't 'opinion'. It's twattery.

Please
or

Moreshroomsplease · 23/09/2022 19:58

“Well of course they can. And op can react to that opinion. And you can have an opinion on that reaction. And then I can have an opinion on your opinion. And eventually MN will eat itself. What larks, eh?”

😂😂😂

Please
or

tea1tea2 · 23/09/2022 20:01

coronafiona · 23/09/2022 19:15

I haven't heard anything like that in Aldi Grin

In aldi we dont hear anything at all Grin

Please
or

UWhatNow · 23/09/2022 20:02

Sparklingbrook · 23/09/2022 19:55

How did you get to hear all of that conversation without lingering next to them for quite a while.

She was the wife 😂

Please
or

lannistunut · 23/09/2022 20:08

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. Not all opinions are as valid and the Waitrose couple's opinion is flawed, because it doesn't matter what the raw percentage is/was, it matters whether people can afford the rise from x% to y% in interest rates.

This thread explains why you can not compare interests - basically very high house prices means a rise of 1% is much less affordable today than it was back on the day: twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1572975530722627584

Please
or

Olamiamore · 23/09/2022 20:20

Ooh those horrible boomers shopping in Waitrose with their opinions. I bet they'd have a field day about education nowadays as well and how no one can spell simple words like 'losing'.

Please
or

MoaningMaude · 23/09/2022 20:31

Why are you listening to others conversations for so so long like a weird stalker, if you had followed me and my DH round Waitrose today you could have listened to a scintillating conversation of having to take the dog to the vet to have her bum squeezed (anal glands) and that I miss the days I couldn't accompany her into the room due to covid.

Please
or

uhfiuyr98 · 23/09/2022 20:32

Just goes to show that just because you shop in Waitrose doesn't make you bright just wealthy

Please
or

mansviewpoint · 23/09/2022 20:34

Only about you can tell the quality of bread by squeezing it, with the elderly lady then squeezing the own brand loaf and saying "Look at that it deforms, it's pappy cheap bread". Then going off and squeezing the 'fresh' bread and saying "Much firmer". Then walking off.
Out of say Waitrose and Lidl I've never seen bad behaviour in Lidl (no queue jumps / noone swearing) but hear it in Waitrose (when I'm forced to go in there).

Please
or

borntobequiet · 23/09/2022 20:36

Shop elsewhere.

Please
or

mansviewpoint · 23/09/2022 20:39

Olamiamore · 23/09/2022 20:20

Ooh those horrible boomers shopping in Waitrose with their opinions. I bet they'd have a field day about education nowadays as well and how no one can spell simple words like 'losing'.

In the 80s a house on average cost around 25K, now it's 250K (I'm being very rough in my numbers on purpose here). Boomers have very little understanding of compound interest. I'm in my 40s and I know for certain that the 20 year olds are having a far worst time trying to get on property ladder than anyone else in the last 75 years. Boomers didn't have a housing criss because of the spurge on 1920-> 1930 housing.

Please
or

MrAutumnal · 23/09/2022 20:43

So is it relevant this was said in Waitrose because we are meant to think everyone who shops there is a dick? In which case you are according to that stereotype. Or is this a very boring anecdote that could have (and probably does) happen at any supermarket?

Please
or

Notjusta · 23/09/2022 20:44

No, but a lady in our coop told me not to buy Dutch tomatoes because "they only put water in them". No idea who 'they' are (maybe Dutch farmers?) or why they are putting anything at all into tomatoes.

Please
or

Olamiamore · 23/09/2022 20:45

@mansviewpoint thanks for the le

Please
or

Olamiamore · 23/09/2022 20:46

@mansviewpoint thanks for the lesson!
I'm sure some boomers have a grasp on compound interest.

Please
or

Pinktoothbrushesarefab · 23/09/2022 20:48

@coronafiona I haven't heard anything like that in Aldi
Me neither !

Please
or

FromageRouge · 23/09/2022 20:50

ShowOfHands · 23/09/2022 19:54

Well of course they can. And op can react to that opinion. And you can have an opinion on that reaction. And then I can have an opinion on your opinion. And eventually MN will eat itself. What larks, eh?

😏😊

Please
or

Pinktoothbrushesarefab · 23/09/2022 20:51

@MrAutumnal So is it relevant this was said in Waitrose because we are meant to think everyone who shops there is a dick?

No - it means anyone who can afford to shop in Waitrose must be a Tory and therefore their opinion doesn't count. 😁

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?