Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Not washing these body parts?

Hanyyd · 09/05/2022 06:29

It occurred to me yesterday that I have only ever washed my feet with soap on vert rare occasions like when I’ve walked on grass or got them grubby in flip flops. Other times I just let the water wash them from the shower or Bath.

Similarly, I don’t think I’ve ever washed my neck or behind my ears, for the same reasons - shampoo surely covers it when I wash my hair?

The magazine I read was talking about the benefits of using less soap and sometimes only water to rinse to give skin a break. I rarely scrub anywhere with soap except my underarms, chest, breasts and carefully with bits below. Anyone else?

OP's posts:
Please
or

QuebecBagnet · 09/05/2022 06:45

behind my ears would smell a bit cheesy if I didn’t give them a rub with soap. Same with my feet. If you don’t have that issue good for you but I don’t think watery shampoo dribbling over an area cuts it. Needs a good rub.

Please
or

IbizaToTheNorfolkBroads · 09/05/2022 06:46

No, I wash all over, especially my feet and in between my toes. My best friend is a podiatrist and tells me tales of gore of what could happen if I don’t!

Please
or

ImFree2doasiwant · 09/05/2022 06:47

I definitely wash those areas, and my hygiene standards are low according to MN!

Please
or

Ophanim · 09/05/2022 06:47

I give my neck and behind my ears a rub when I wash my hair because I don’t think that just soapy water running over those areas is good enough.
same applies for other body areas

Please
or

NancyJoan · 09/05/2022 06:48

I do exactly the same as you in the shower, and I enjoy a soak in the bath a couple of times a week.

Please
or

OutlookStalking · 09/05/2022 06:49

I dont think I give anywhere a "good rub" regularly... I shower daily so soap covers most bits - but as OP says pretty much- use hands for key areas ... I do have a good shower so there is water force, not a dribble, on me.

Please
or

BreezeofGreen · 09/05/2022 06:50

Blush I've never really thought about it, I usually do same as you.

Please
or

OutlookStalking · 09/05/2022 06:50

I use my hands to wash, obviously. A "good rub" just conjures up something more vigorous!

Please
or

lljkk · 09/05/2022 06:56

I don't bathe daily but i go for feet & behind ears when I do wash. Happy to believe OP or others don't need to pay attention to those places -- but I do.

Please
or

Andromachehadabadday · 09/05/2022 06:59

I use a flannel on my face in the shower. Then use it to scrub my neck and behind my ears.

I have one of those net ball shaped things for the rest of my body and yes I do wash my feet.

Please
or

Waxonwaxoff0 · 09/05/2022 07:01

I always wash my feet. Being stuffed into shoes all day and not washing is surely a breeding ground for fungal infections!

Please
or

GreyCarpet · 09/05/2022 07:15

I can smell when people haven't washed behind their ears if I get close to them (eg a hug). It's gross. Wash behind your ears!

Necks get grimy and grey with visible dirt if they are not washed.

Wash your feet...

Please
or

PrincessRamone · 09/05/2022 07:19

I can smell when people haven't washed behind their ears if I get close to them

that is the most MN thing I have ever read 😅

Please
or

purplesequins · 09/05/2022 07:30

well, I lather up my hair and use a flannel & the suds to wash all over.
take speacial attention to pit&bits and my ears get washed with the suds as well. I even let water run into my ear.

Please
or

HowIsItMarchAlready · 09/05/2022 07:30

I use a shower puff and wash everywhere but my face with it. I feel dirty if I don't.

Please
or

Applegreenb · 09/05/2022 07:32

GreyCarpet

I can smell when people haven't washed behind their ears if I get close to them (eg a hug). It's gross. Wash behind your ears!

Necks get grimy and grey with visible dirt if they are not washed.

Wash your feet...

Hahaha and the MN award goes to….

Please
or

BanditBluey · 09/05/2022 07:33

I guess I just thought the same that they had a good enough wash by having the shampoo run over them

Please
or

Applegreenb · 09/05/2022 07:34

OP im like you I don’t really wash my feet unless they are dirty. I do clean my ears / behind my
ears but not always in the shower.

This reminds me of someone making a comment about washing legs and it started a big debate

Please
or

OutlookStalking · 09/05/2022 07:34

But they are washed... water followed by soap/shampoo followed by more water.

They're just not actively "scrubbed/flanneled/whatever."

Please
or

maddy68 · 09/05/2022 07:34

Having a shower would wash those boys anyway. Shampoo and shower gel is getting spread all over

Please
or

JustATomCat · 09/05/2022 07:36

I wash behind my ears & neck every time I shower but yes, never my feet. When I bath I wash my feet, very rare. Haha.

Please
or

2blunt2filter · 09/05/2022 07:36

I definitely wash behind my ears and my feet maybe not every single day when I shower but at least twice a week. I use a wash towel when washing my body and often you can see residue from the back of your ears and neck. It should be a must honestly. The cleaner the better.

Please
or

sqirrelfriends · 09/05/2022 07:37

I rarely wash my feet with soap but do give them a good scrub to get rid of dead skin at least twice a week.

Thinking about it, my legs rarely see soap unless I'm specifically exfoliating them.

Please
or

Triffid1 · 09/05/2022 07:38

I'm like you op. But I do thinknit might depend on the way your extremities are shaped. My toes are quite well spaced apart so I think they beastly get cleaned just with water and left over soap. I remember when dc were babies and their toes were all so tight together I definitely gently cleaned between them because otherwise they did get crusty. Same with ears - ds has slightly sticky out ears so never had a problem but dad's ears are much closer to her hair so.we make much more effort to clean behind them.

Please
or

Triffid1 · 09/05/2022 07:39

Sorry about all the typos. On phone and was a little distracted.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.