Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Are there any conspiracy theories you actually believe?

AnxiousAngelina · 07/12/2021 07:28

Inspired by another thread. Come on even if they're mad ones... fess up.

I cant remember the details but I remember doing a bit of online research years ago and thinking it's not 100% impossible that Tupac faked his death!

OP's posts:
Please
or

BoredZelda · 08/12/2021 14:30

Surely it's more honest to state that "I read somewhere" at the outset rather than instantly declaring that you know it to be definitely true?

It is honest, but the problem is how that information is treated. When it comes to conspiracy theories, any that start with that line, then is repeated and it becomes that lots of people have reported the same thing. Then what happens is people find spurious “evidence” that could perhaps point to that thing having been true. More pertinently it tends to be things that can only be refuted is by people having to prove a negative which is incredibly difficult to do. Conspiracy theories often thrive because even the factual evidence provided is disbelieved or people’s biases interpret it to be actually proving their case.

I think people have a responsibility to provide their sources when presenting any sort of information as quasi factual. The thing PP said was provably false and misleading. But it would be interesting to see where it came from. If it was from //www.official911report.gov that puts a different spin on it than if it came from //www.911wasdonebythegovernemnt.com

Please
or

BoredZelda · 08/12/2021 14:39

That is very true – BUT, equally, there does exist a certain snobbery around information discovered and shared online. Some people will still dismissively say “Oh, is that something you read on the internet ?!” regardless of the credibility of the source on the world’s main platform for sharing knowledge and information. You hear people scoff at those worried about their health who have “consulted Dr Google, have you?” – even though the information they have researched may have all come from the NHS website and similar.

Even my 12 year old knows the difference between what’s credible on the internet and what isn’t. The scoffing will usually come because of the information itself rather than the fact it came from the internet. Of someone says “I read on the internet that Mount Everest is over 8,000m high” nobody is going to scoff at that. If they said “I read on the internet that there is a family of yetis who live on Mount Everest” then the scoffing begins.

Same with health. “Dr, I looked at Google and my symptoms are of a rare disorder only ever found in the rainforest” or “Dr, I looked at Google and it seems my symptoms might be tonsillitis” two very different things.

Please
or

loveandkindness · 08/12/2021 15:20

@BoredZelda

Surely it's more honest to state that "I read somewhere" at the outset rather than instantly declaring that you know it to be definitely true?

It is honest, but the problem is how that information is treated. When it comes to conspiracy theories, any that start with that line, then is repeated and it becomes that lots of people have reported the same thing. Then what happens is people find spurious “evidence” that could perhaps point to that thing having been true. More pertinently it tends to be things that can only be refuted is by people having to prove a negative which is incredibly difficult to do. Conspiracy theories often thrive because even the factual evidence provided is disbelieved or people’s biases interpret it to be actually proving their case.

I think people have a responsibility to provide their sources when presenting any sort of information as quasi factual. The thing PP said was provably false and misleading. But it would be interesting to see where it came from. If it was from //www.official911report.gov that puts a different spin on it than if it came from //www.911wasdonebythegovernemnt.com

I'm genuinely curious...

What's the difference between 'I read somewhere' and what the OP posted at the start of the thread -

"I cant remember the details but I remember doing a bit of online research years ago..."

Are you going to ask everyone to this thread to tell YOU where they got their information (which could deemed just as misleading as mine). Or are you just singling me out to make a point?
Please
or

Unmerited · 08/12/2021 15:29

@BurnedToast

I'm not having my booster vaccine. Always been compliant with vaccines and definitely not one for conspiracy. But j cannot get me head round having 3 vaccines in 9 months . That is by definition not a vaccine. It's at best a short term prophalactic.

You might need to let your GP know the updated definition of vaccine then, as they give babies 3 if the 6-in-1 vaccine in 16 weeks. They might not be aware that you’ve updated the official definition of vaccine.
Please
or

Dita73 · 08/12/2021 15:54

@jollygreenpea I didn’t say Prince Philip was blocking it but that’s what Fayed was saying at the time

Please
or

Velvian · 08/12/2021 15:59

Apologies if it has already been mentioned, I can't be arsed to RTFT😅, but there is a podcast on the Wind of Change theory

open.spotify.com/show/3vikAuFxKVNe2GBZC61IYD?si=LoE2ClHUTweF4W9iHqnNqw&utm_source=copy-link

After listening, I was left feeling that the CIA probably didn't write the song, but that they engineered the concert Moscow Music Peace Festival in 1989. This was the trip where the song was written.

All of the bands where managed by Doc McGhee and it seems likely it was arranged as a plea deal for Doc McGhee's hefty drug offences.

I don't think you can dismiss every subversive theory. Do you believe the Russian narrative that 2 FSB agents visited Salisbury for the cathedral spire? When does something become a conspiracy theory?

Please
or

scaevola · 08/12/2021 16:06

I'm just saying that, if it had been the case that a member of the RF or a high-ranking British diplomat had insisted on her being seen by their nominated person, I can't see them being refused

It's about 90 mins by helicopter from London to Paris. And of course flights are public record, so it would be readily discoverable if there had been any such flight bringing a doctor (would surely have to be an actual doctor to be able to assess what to do and how to do it leaving no trace if admittance permitted)

But it seems implausible that all those who gave sworn statements to the enquiry omitted to mention a visitor. And it wouid take a remarkable amount of people to be involved to conceal any such visitor. Hard to arrange beforehand, unless you could fix which hospital she wouid be taken to (you'd need cooperation of French paramedics and dispatchers) and impossible, I would have thought, to arrange in a watertight way once the event was unfolding. For wouldn't it be memorably odd for nurses, police, doctors, ward receptionists and other admin all to be briefed in short order, and all be willing and able to conspire? Not to mention the Embassy staff who were there, and of course the press who were asking questions right left and centre

Please
or

PermanentTemporary · 08/12/2021 16:23

Feeling a bit nostalgic for the 'God was an alien' and 'Pope John Paul I was murdered' conspiracy theories of yesteryear.

Oh, there's one I do believe! Roberto Calvi was murdered by the Mafia, I'm sure of that, and I do think that there is a lot if looking the other way in government, yes. I don't know though where organised crime really shades into conspiracy theories.

Please
or

jollygreenpea · 08/12/2021 16:45

Dita73

I appreciate that, just though we should have some facts, people tend to read things badly then think they are facts. Grin

Please
or

Okbye · 08/12/2021 17:08

@User13490358923

People are being told crypto is a scam and terrible for the environment because it's actually the biggest creator of generational wealth since the industrial revolution. Those who know and have the means to immerse themselves in the market want to reap the benefits themselves with minimal competition. Mainstream media is also part of the conspiracy because they know by reporting every tiny bitcoin drop (aka price correction) with scary headlines, it creates uncertainty and suspicion in those unfamiliar with it.

Women in particular are most disadvantaged by the shift towards defi and web 3.0. They are typically late adopters and generally have less interest and time to learn the technical side of crypto. The market is dominated by men, many of whom were typically on the fringes of mainstream society (geeks, techs, so-called incels etc). Keeping women out makes perfect sense since defi is creating a new heirarchy of wealth that is almost exclusively in the hands of men. Women are already disadvantaged in traditional finance due to childcare, career breaks, SAHM, marriage or not etc. Fewer women own property outright or have the same financial power as their husbands.

Once defi becomes mainstream in 5-10 years, the millionaires and billionaires have already been established. Those are the same people busy squirrelling away wealth this very moment. (Digital wealth = crypto coins, tokens, nfts, metaverse property etc.) The vast majority of people reading this thread may not have even heard of those terms nor be in any position to invest themselves. With the chaos of covid, why would anyone spend their extra money towards virtual assets that could crash to zero?

This is exactly the conspiracy happening now. While the majority of the world is distracted and beaten down by covid, there's a tiny faction orchestrating one of the greatest wealth transfers to happen in generations. Someone compared it to buying land in Manhattan in the 1900s. The amazing thing about crypto is that's technically open to anyone but still nobody chooses to go in there.

EXACTLY THIS!! My husband is hardcore into Crypto and has made a lot of money since he started in April this year.

It’s confusing, yes but can absolutely be learnt (he did!), he’s obviously lost some money along the way at the beginning but has learned his way.

But whenever Crypto or Bitcoin is mentioned it seems the auto response is one of horror, pearl clutching, ‘ooh no it’s gambling’. It can be time consuming waiting for launches etc but the payout is completely worth it.

I’m genuinely surprised more people aren’t into it!
Please
or

BoredZelda · 08/12/2021 19:34

What's the difference between 'I read somewhere' and what the OP posted at the start of the thread -

"I cant remember the details but I remember doing a bit of online research years ago..."

There isn’t any difference.

Are you going to ask everyone to this thread to tell YOU where they got their information (which could deemed just as misleading as mine). Or are you just singling me out to make a point?

No, because I’m not going to repeat any of it as fact, or even as supposed fact, or that I read it somewhere. I’m not singling you out, I’m using it as an example. I mean, if you really wanted me to, I could go back and highlight every single poster who started with a similar phrase, but I think most people understood what I was getting at.

I have no interest in finding out where any of the “I heard that…..” information comes from because I know the base story of pretty much every theory here and how they have been debunked, but if one came up that I was interested in learning more about, I’d certainly ask where the information came from.

Please
or

Skysblue · 08/12/2021 20:58

Covid came from a Wuhan lab…

Please
or

BoredZelda · 08/12/2021 21:03

But whenever Crypto or Bitcoin is mentioned it seems the auto response is one of horror, pearl clutching, ‘ooh no it’s gambling’. It can be time consuming waiting for launches etc but the payout is completely worth it.

I recoil in horror because there are a whole load of crypto scams out there. The risk of people believing it is an easy way for anyone to make money is that they fall for one of those scams and end up losing money they can’t afford to. But, I should point out that trading in any commodity is actually gambling, which is why the advice is always never to bet more than you can afford to lose.

Please
or

peaceanddove · 08/12/2021 21:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Please
or

User13490358923 · 08/12/2021 22:30

@SugarlumpsesBumpses
I'm not hugely active (just hold some coins and not trading) but I've been interested in the topic since 2015. There have been a few threads on MN on crypto but those quickly sink due to lack of interest, which of course is the objective, or they degenerate into arguments about it being a scam or the environmental impacts of mining. That's why I had to vent my frustration in this thread because it seems like certain demographics (i.e. women) have been brainwashed to ignore or hate the topic of crypto.

@alldropitlikeitsloth
Absolutely agree. It's no coincidence that FB is trying to spearhead the move into metaverse because they will have most control over virtual wealth. Most social media companies make all their revenue through advertising, including Google. Albeit massive, Google is still wholly dependent on real-world events and things like covid can give it a serious hit. FB doesn't care about advertising or its users anymore which is why Instagram and FB have become so shit in the past years. FB is basically hoping to own huge swathes of the metaverse which would be akin to owning all the land, infrastructure, advertising rights, financial systems in the real world. However what I can imagine is possible is that FB will use their existing platforms to manipulate events or purchase decisions in the metaverse (as has been proven with real world elections, anti vaxx movements etc). So if they can get millions of real people buying & banking in the metaverse then it's like they own a country

Please
or

User13490358923 · 08/12/2021 22:40

@Okbye
You are lucky! My husband doesn't understand much of it but he knows it's a pet interest of mine. We also have a few friends (all male) who love the topic and I'm trying to learn more. The problem of course is that gullible people will attempt to gamble everything in hopes of getting rich but it's no longer that easy. However no real life riches come easy. People happily study 3 years for a bachelors degree that gets you an entry level job of 25K. I daresay if someone studied crypto FULL TIME for 3 years then they would almost definitely end up a millionaire.

Please
or

Unmerited · 09/12/2021 01:25

I think a lot of people struggle with crypto as it has a bit of a ponzi / MLM vibe to it.

Please
or

ohfook · 09/12/2021 06:40

@Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername

Definitely 9/11 and Diana for me

But curious as to why Courtney Love would want Kurt dead....can anyone enlighten me?

I don't believe the kurt cobain one but I've read about it. I think it was meant to be for revenge because he was going to leave her.
Please
or

ohfook · 09/12/2021 06:44

@Swirlywoo

My new favourite is the Dandelion one. I will now definitely repeat this, prefixed by "I heard somewhere that".

I read a biography once about a guy who survived life as a prisoner of war and the forced marches by eating dandelions.
Please
or

Vapeyvapevape · 09/12/2021 06:50

I think Diana was an accident, no one can be sure that a person will die in an accident.

Please
or

GoldenOldBoy · 09/12/2021 06:55

I think the more wacky conspiracy theories are promoted by various governments to hide the real life atrocities they have committed in the past.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3941673/

www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/history/40-years-human-experimentation-america-tuskegee-study

These are just 2 that spring to mind. And then they wonder why we are suspicious of their vaccines....

Please
or

Lampzade · 09/12/2021 07:02

David Kelly ?
Princess Diana??????

Please
or

felulageller · 09/12/2021 08:18

TWA flight 800. It may have been the official cause. But it's awfully co incidental that the navy were practicing there and eye witnesses said they saw a missile.

David Kelly dying by suicide isn't believable.

The man in the bag.

Russia being behind 9/11.

WTC 7.

JFK' 3 rs bullet which turned mid air. There was a shooter on the grassy knowl.

Denver airport is definitely an underground post apocalyptic shelter!

Savile and Thalidomide were conspiracy theories until they were proved to be true!

Please
or

felulageller · 09/12/2021 08:21

Willie McRae's death. He was certainly assassinated.

Jill Dando.

Please
or

EishetChayil · 09/12/2021 08:33

@Thatldo

No.conspiracy theories are for adult crackpots that also believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden.

But what about ones that actually turned out to be true. MK Ultra, Operation Northwoods, etc.?
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.