Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What is everyone doing over half term with their kids?

Doughnuts68 · 13/10/2021 09:31

What is everyone doing over half term with their DC?

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheYearOfSmallThings · 13/10/2021 09:36

Football camp on the days I work, a Halloween family day at a museum, a skeleton trail on Halloween day (followed by trick or treating), and then Ireland for a week, because apparently one week is not enough for half term anymore Hmm.

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 13/10/2021 09:38

First week they are going to the seaside with one set of grandparents.
Middle weekend... Halloween event at the zoo
Second week... taking them to visit other grandparents.

Please
or

Generallystruggling · 13/10/2021 09:39

It’s DC4’s third birthday so we’re going pumpkin picking and to a Halloween event (he’s absolutely obsessed with Halloween). Will take the older three to see Addams family 2 at the cinema at some point. Scarecrow trail and trick or treating on Halloween plus Halloween films. Local Halloween party the day before.

Not sure about the other days yet, I haven’t found many local activities as yet.

Please
or

Generallystruggling · 13/10/2021 09:39

Oh and mine still only get a week off, thankfully Grin.

Please
or

Notdoingthis · 13/10/2021 09:44

Holiday!!! 5 nights in a remote part of Wales and I can't wait. No holiday anywhere since 2019!

Please
or

bettertimesarecomingnow · 13/10/2021 09:50

Riding - dd has a new pony and ds has a new quad arriving so lots of exploring I think.

The weather is crap tho it hasn't stopped raining for days.

Will meet up with friends for dog walk and I plan some decorating but just painting.

Kids will also stay with grandparents for a night so we are going out with friends. Can't wait for that!!!

Please
or

Doughnuts68 · 13/10/2021 10:16

2 weeks for half term?

OP's posts:
Please
or

SiulaGrande · 13/10/2021 10:25

Independent schools have 2 weeks for half term this term. And our council tried it for a couple of years, to encourage people not to take kids out of school on holidays.

We're visiting friends for 3 days, will go to local castle there; having a Halloween party which takes all day to prep for, DC having friend over for another day and will be entertaining themselves. Leaves a couple of days mooching at home which is needed for rest/relaxation.

Please
or

Thecomfortador · 13/10/2021 10:30

Day out to Blackpool if the lights are on (mine are young). Trip to stay with grandparents hopefully. That's bas far as I've thought. Probably knock on Nana's for trick or treating... it's our first time and I'm not hugely comfortable with knocking on strangers doors. But maybe my kids won't be that bothered anyway. 🤞

Please
or

TheYearOfSmallThings · 13/10/2021 10:32

My DS goes to a bog standard state primary in East London. Two years ago they did a "consultation" about introducing a 2 week Autumn half term. The resounding response from the parents was "No. This is a terrible idea. Don't do this to us."

A few weeks later we got a letter saying "Great news! From now on your children will get a two week half term! Hurrah!"

Please
or

H1978 · 13/10/2021 10:39

Going to a caravan park Friday to Monday in Great Yarmouth. Mid week we’re taking them to flamingo land. We have some tickets that expire end of the week. Rest of the week is filled with dentist appointments and repairs being done to house.

Please
or

Doughnuts68 · 13/10/2021 11:00

Hope everyone enjoys. Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 13/10/2021 11:02

The two week half term is council standard here.

Please
or

Pascha · 13/10/2021 11:04

Entertaining themselves with grandma for the most part. No time off for me. We might get a pumpkin on Saturday I guess.

Please
or

Crystalglass · 13/10/2021 11:05

We went away a few times during the summer and for a long weekend in September, so we decided not to go away.

The DC are spending a couple of nights with their grandparents and the rest of the time we will be around the house - we will go for walks, to the park for a kick about, and we will have a movie night. So all fairly chilled out. DD has asked for a jammie day!!

We might go to the beach at the weekend. Will wrap up warm, walk and skim stones.

Please
or

badlydrawnbear · 13/10/2021 11:34

It is DC2's 7th birthday that week. She wants to go to the cinema. Pumpkin carving, trick or treating, SIL wants to take them to a local theme park or similar, we might go to a relative's house near the coast for a couple of nights.

Please
or

Snowdropsandbluebells · 13/10/2021 11:37

Zoo and few other days out pumpkin picking and local farm maybe a walk in National Trust. (then a few children out days with halloween movies 🎥)

Please
or

Snowdropsandbluebells · 13/10/2021 11:40

Few chilling out days

Please
or

navigationcentral · 13/10/2021 12:39

DS is going to be 6 this month. His plan is -

Day 1: Day out with Daddy to museums
Day 2: Day out with Mum doing some halloween activities
normal weekend
Half-term Week - Holiday Camp at Sports Centre doing swimming, ice-skating, bowling and pirate-ship daily - all 5 days
Final weekend: Halloween Robotics Coding and Engineering Camp with LEGO!

Please
or

DoucheCanoe · 13/10/2021 12:51

We're in Scotland so currently on day 3 of 10 for the "tattie holidays".

I'm off this week so we planned a trip on the train to the nearest city, cinema to see the Addams family 2 and having a friend sleepover. Next week I'm working evenings so will just mooch around and see what we fancy doing.

Mine are 9 and 15 so I don't plan too much as I think it's important for them to have down time to do that they want.

Please
or

Echobelly · 13/10/2021 12:53

Oldest is 13, youngest 10. Youngest at camp 2 days, taking other 3 off. Might go to Kew Gardens, do some nice walks (3-4 miles) in or outside London.

Please
or

gogohm · 13/10/2021 13:02

No half term thankfully as they are big but they are demanding a holiday in "reading week" some sun was the request

Please
or

trumpisagit · 13/10/2021 13:09

Spain! Hopefully...

Please
or

MinnieMountain · 13/10/2021 13:45

Butlin’s the first weekend.
A day at Granny’s.
Trip to the local country park to try out the new playground.
London to go to HMS Belfast and the Imperial War Museum.
Halloween party at the local community centre.

Please
or

Tomthumbsbigbum · 13/10/2021 13:50

We're taking our 2 DS aged 9 and 6 for a day out in London for the first time. We've booked the natural history and science museum and then a restaurant for dinner. We're going to surprise them on the day. The train tickets alone are costing £185 so I really hope they enjoy it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?