My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

What is the attraction to cauliflower?

79 replies

Gingaaarghpussy · 04/09/2020 00:44

I have tried it on occasion but its bland.
The last time I had cauliflower cheese was when I was a kid and promptly threw it back up. Cheese sauce is fine.
I've also discovered that Branston pickle has cauliflower in and so does piccalilli, obviously. Maybe thats why I dont like those particular pickles.

OP posts:
MrsTerryPratchett · 04/09/2020 00:51

My theory is that they will find more and more genetic links. Coriander is already proven to be a genetic predisposition. I hate it and some people love it. Brussels sprouts have a chemical that tastes bitter to some people with the gene. Cauliflower is a brassica as well, could be similar.

In other news, everyone is different thank goodness.

MaliceOrgan · 04/09/2020 00:53

Not a fan. All those roasted ones look like roast brain.

bellinique · 04/09/2020 00:55

@MaliceOrgan

Not a fan. All those roasted ones look like roast brain.

I used to like cauliflower but I think this may have just ruined it for life.
TheoriginalLEM · 04/09/2020 00:56

You have to roast it. Its a game changer!!

Boiled cauli is bland AF but roasted is amazing. I had cauliflower curry for dinner, roasted yhe cauli first. Bloody fantastic. Im not veggie but thisdidnt need meat at all.

BitOfFun · 04/09/2020 00:57

Low-carbers shred it as a rice substitute. I'm not convinced.

Anordinarymum · 04/09/2020 01:02

@Gingaaarghpussy

I have tried it on occasion but its bland.
The last time I had cauliflower cheese was when I was a kid and promptly threw it back up. Cheese sauce is fine.
I've also discovered that Branston pickle has cauliflower in and so does piccalilli, obviously. Maybe thats why I dont like those particular pickles.

I hated Cauliflower Cheese when I was a child but I love it now. I could eat it on it's own
SamsMumsCateracts · 04/09/2020 01:04

I tried a cauliflower steak recently. I thought it'd be gross, but it was really, really nice. I was very surprised, completely different flavour.

NiceGerbil · 04/09/2020 01:05

I didn't like it as a kid but do now.

Frownette · 04/09/2020 01:05

@MrsTerryPratchett

My theory is that they will find more and more genetic links. Coriander is already proven to be a genetic predisposition. I hate it and some people love it. Brussels sprouts have a chemical that tastes bitter to some people with the gene. Cauliflower is a brassica as well, could be similar.

In other news, everyone is different thank goodness.

I knew about the element in Brussels (not the politicians) but not sure about cauli. Love it in cauli cheese but I wouldn't seek it out otherwise.

It may be a colour thing? We're trained to seek a wide variety of colours in our vegetables for health. Sort of poor man of the vegetable world? Not as worthy as broccoli?
Sparklfairy · 04/09/2020 01:07

@BitOfFun

Low-carbers shred it as a rice substitute. I'm not convinced.

Yeah I've never really liked 'cauliflower rice', although I do like it crushed (not mashed completely to mush) with butter, garlic, salt and pepper.

Aren't most vegetables 'bland' without decent seasoning??
IHaveBrilloHair · 04/09/2020 01:13

I like it, but I trued the cauliflower rice and ut was not nice at all, kind if undercooked but siggy at the same time, and smelled very farty.
Would not reccomend.

Jenasaurus · 04/09/2020 01:15

My DD and I fight to finish off the cauliflower cheese, its both of our favourite dishes, that and sage and onion stuffing :)

If you make caulflower cheese, but before putting it in the over crumble up some wholemeal bread and mix with grated cheese, sprinkle over the top, it comes out with a lovely crunchy toping, but I also love cheese so I am biased if a dish has more cheese added :)

I also love sprouts and could eat a whole dish on their own, cabbage too. I may be just odd though

Gingaaarghpussy · 04/09/2020 01:16

There are very few veg I add seasoning to, possibly because my mother over salted everything. But cauliflower, as far as my taste buds are concerned has no flavour.
What does broccoli cheese taste like? Maybe I should try different "trees" Grin

OP posts:
TitsOutForHarambe · 04/09/2020 01:17

I hate cauliflower rice. I do love roasted cauliflower though!

I agree with the PP who mentioned there could be a genetic link. I feel sorry for people who don't have the enzyme to taste corriander in all of it's glory - it tastes soapy to them. I love the stuff!

BilboBercow · 04/09/2020 01:18

Pickled cauliflower is the absolute bomb. It's the king of picked items

Gingaaarghpussy · 04/09/2020 01:19

whats coriander got to do with cauliflower?

OP posts:
Gingaaarghpussy · 04/09/2020 01:20

@BilboBercow

Pickled cauliflower is the absolute bomb. It's the king of picked items

If its pickled, I ain't interested, too much vinager. Grin
OP posts:
Morfin · 04/09/2020 01:24

Can't have broccoli cheese, only broccoli mornay, no idea why but remember being told off as a child for saying broccoli cheese. It's not as nice BTW.

Corriander is the devils work so not similar to ops complaint about cauli which she just describes as bland.

fallfallfall · 04/09/2020 01:31

I’ve got the gene that makes cilantro taste like dish soap, and coffee smell like an old ash tray.
Cauliflower is bland and harmless as long as it’s not overcooked.

managedmis · 04/09/2020 02:35

Really good in soups. Onion, cauliflower, yellow potatoes, chicken stock, butter, blended till smooth. Delush.

Tillygetsit · 04/09/2020 02:36

Salt and pepper cauliflower roasted is delicious 🤤

LunaNorth · 04/09/2020 02:47

Roasted or raw it’s a thing of joy.

Fab in curries, and of course cauliflower macaroni cheese. Waitrose used to do a Heston Blumenthal one which was heaven.

Hyperfish101 · 04/09/2020 02:50

Love it. Plain, rice cheese, roasted. Any way tbh. I love all veg except cabbage and aubergine though.

pawpawpawpaw · 04/09/2020 02:55

Chopped into small florets, drizzled with olive oil and roasted with smoked paprika, salt, pepper and a sliced shallot. I've been known to eat a whole one Blush

Bloodybridget · 04/09/2020 02:59

I will happily eat cauliflower cooked any way, but roasted is delicious, or blanched and sauted with soy sauce and sesame seeds, or with garlic and lemon juice. I love it in curries, with potato, or chickpeas.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.