My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

what's in the middle of a Victoria Sponge cake?

102 replies

growlingbear · 08/07/2019 15:49

DS wants one for his birthday. I am using a new recipe that just puts raspberry jam in the centre. But doesn't it normally have bitter cream too? Or whipped cream? Am I imagining this?

OP posts:
CakeNinja · 09/07/2019 16:48

I always use salted too!

AintNobodyHereButUsChickens · 09/07/2019 16:57

My old next door neighbour puts fresh cream and strawberries in hers, she's a fantastic baker, her sponge is as light and fluffy as clouds. I might have to go and visit her soon...

Orlandointhewilderness · 09/07/2019 17:46

God I love Victoria sandwich. Completely my favourite cake!

ElizaPancakes · 09/07/2019 18:02

I always use salted butter.

I’d do jam, whipped cream and sliced strawberries. Not traditional but certainly delicious!

TanselleTooTall · 09/07/2019 18:19

I'm curious about fat free sponges vs butter sponge.
What are your trusted recipes?

I THOUGHT V.Sponge was made from the universally known equal amounts of butter/fat, sugar, flour, as the eggs weighed (in their shells!! Which is a new and recent discovery for me - I'm a slow learner), as well as flavouring.
Combine after creaming, or the all-in-one method and bosh: sponge cake.

So what are the alternatives?

BertrandRussell · 09/07/2019 21:24

I make a fat free sponge sometimes- but purely as a show off. I’ll give you the recipe if you insist - but it’s only worth doing if you think of baking as a hobby.

stayathomer · 09/07/2019 21:26

This thread has me in awe ..

reluctantbrit · 09/07/2019 21:50

I use fresh cream but only if it is eaten the same day. I find buttercream too sweet but it last better than fresh one. And I use strawberry not raspberry jam.

BendydickCuminsnatch · 09/07/2019 21:52

Got to be whipped cream and bonne mamas strawberry conserve 🤤🤤

growlingbear · 15/07/2019 19:10

@CassandraCross - very belated thank you for your microwave curd recipe. It will be made this summer. DS now away but I might have to make a curd and cream sponge for his return....

OP posts:
growlingbear · 15/07/2019 19:13

@BertrandRussell - I would love your fat free recipe. I used to make one when I was in my teens. My mum taught me. But that was decades ago and I haven't made it since and she now has dementia so wouldn't know the recipe or proportions. I remember it came out light as a feather, almost like a soft version of those sponge fingers you use to make trifle. Which is a whole other contentious thread. (Jelly or no jelly? Sherry or not? Fruit or not? Bananas? etc)

OP posts:
CassandraCross · 15/07/2019 19:15

You're welcome growlingbear, I too would like Bertrand's fat free sponge recipe!

CassandraCross · 15/07/2019 19:19

Oh no! don't delve into the trifle debate, contentious is an understatementGrin!

averylongtimeago · 15/07/2019 19:34

If you are making a Victoria sandwich for competition purposes it has to be raspberry jam. A nice layer but not too thick.
The top should be lightly and evenly sprinkled with castor sugar (not icing or granulated). On the cake it's self, it should be of even thickness, an even golden colour and you should be able to see the marks made by the cooling rack underneath.
There's more rules, but really imho just put whatever you like most in and on the basic cake.
My personal favourite is either raspberry jam (the proper sort that's more berry than jam) and cream, or a coffee flavour with coffee butter cream, chocolate fudge and walnuts.

altiara · 15/07/2019 19:35

I use blackcurrant jam and buttercream. Tart yet sweet. Cake

Chochito · 15/07/2019 19:44

I would say raspberry jam, but I don't think anyone would complain about some buttercream too.

SenecaFalls · 15/07/2019 19:50

Tropical version: buttercream (made with salted butter), key lime curd, and coconut. Served with a bit of whipped cream on the side.

scaryteacher · 15/07/2019 19:53

Clotted cream and strawberry jam in mine.

nicslackey · 15/07/2019 19:59

Made one this afternoon and have just scoffed a slice for pudding. Fresh cream with passion fruit mixed through and microwave apricot jam. It is lovely and not too sweet. Going back for another slice with a cuppa once I have done the dishes. I know that it is not really a Victoria sponge but I had fruit that needed using up.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys · 15/07/2019 20:00

Finely chopped Victorias

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours · 15/07/2019 20:11

I like whipped cream, just on the almost too stiff side, with lemon curd in my sponge cake.
Raspberry jam and cream is good too, and like @scaryteacher I have been know to use clotted cream.

if you are brave, and have a very heavy pan and a very low gas you can make Lemon Curd right in the pan, but generally I do it in a bowl over a pan of water, I like standing there stirring.

BarbaraofSeville · 15/07/2019 20:58

Unless your DS is a budding village show/WI judge I would ask him how he wants his cake, it being his birthday and all.

The rules for our village show state 'Victoria Sponge, own recipe with strawberry or raspberry jam only' accompanied by the stern instruction, in capitals no less of NO FRESH CREAM TO BE USED IN ANY RECIPES.

I'd hate for the birthday boy to be disappointed at the lack of cream or fresh fruit in an attempt to produce a show compliant cake.

StCharlotte · 15/07/2019 20:59

There's one slice left of my Cricket World Cup Final sponge (lemon curd and buttercream since you ask) but is there a lovelier flavour combination than cream and strawberry jam? I think not.

BarbaraofSeville · 15/07/2019 21:02

I think, sadly, the route to a lighter sponge is the use of, shudder, margarine rather than butter, but I can't bring myself to try it for fear of producing a revolting cake.

Despite living in the council estate on the outskirts of the village for nearly 15 years, I haven't got round to entering our village show yet. My excuse is that we're usually on holiday at that time of year. I have been a couple of times. Due to quite small numbers of entries, and I suspect most of the organisers being stuck in 1952, the prizes are usually of the order of 40 pence, so I suspect that it is all about the prestige of winning a prize for the best courgettes in the village or whatever.

Trickyteens · 15/07/2019 23:05

Maybe the WI rules are because the cake may be sat around all day waiting to be judged, and whipped cream may become contaminated.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.