My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

what's in the middle of a Victoria Sponge cake?

102 replies

growlingbear · 08/07/2019 15:49

DS wants one for his birthday. I am using a new recipe that just puts raspberry jam in the centre. But doesn't it normally have bitter cream too? Or whipped cream? Am I imagining this?

OP posts:
TanselleTooTall · 08/07/2019 20:09

Just having jam seems naked(?).. I know that is traditional, though.

I've always done jam and either cream or buttercream. Sometimes my top layer
sponge slides to one side when or during cutting. Annoying to say the least.

I love threads like these. They always start with the traditional and 'acceptable' variation..then sloooowly come the weird and wacky suggestions from posters (lovely, lovely posters no doubt!) declaring how they like it. "Oh yes! How I make MY Victoria sponge is I add a pinch of saffron, a glug of Booth's rose water, pipette of edible glitter finishing off with double pliè as I chuck a handful of nuts into the mix."
Grin

ChippyMinton · 08/07/2019 20:30

Who remembers the high sift - the secret to a great VSC Smile?

what's in the middle of a Victoria Sponge cake?
BertrandRussell · 08/07/2019 20:34

“Make sure you season your buttercream with salt. It stops the whole lot being overly sweet and cloying and doesn’t taste ‘salty’. A pinch will do. Makes all the difference.”
I use salted butter. Sue me.

genome · 08/07/2019 20:35

Jam only in the official WI guide!

TanselleTooTall · 08/07/2019 20:35

Oh yeah - wasn't there a MN'er once who got the ladder out because she interpreted Delia's instructions for sift nice and high a little too literally?! Grin

DuchessSybilVimes · 08/07/2019 20:36

Mmm buttercream icing Smile

StCharlotte · 08/07/2019 20:36

I made one for a family visit and as there were several children (who don't always like cream), I just put jam in (didn't think of buttercream for some reason). Even the four year old was disgusted at the lack of cream! Nowadays, I either use strawberry jam and whipped (double) cream or lemon curd and buttercream. Occasionally lemon curd and whipped cream. For birthdays I'll do the lemon version with buttercream on top and Smarties Smile

Definitely going to make one this weekend now!

stucknoue · 08/07/2019 20:43

Raspberry jam and whipped double cream is the best combo

ChippyMinton · 08/07/2019 20:51

Tanselle - that is her in the photo Smile
We had a MN WI style baking competition lol

TanselleTooTall · 08/07/2019 21:12

That's brilliant!

LittleLongDog · 08/07/2019 22:09

@CuriousaboutSamphire life is just too short to be a martyr to plain cake.

Come and have a slice of lovely light buttercream and jam VSC. (Of course there’s a pot of tea to keep it company.)

Join the dark side... you know you want too...

DrFoxtrot · 08/07/2019 22:17

Any combination of buttercream or whipped cream with jam or just jam - IT IS ALL ACCEPTABLE TO ME Grin

growlingbear · 08/07/2019 22:43

@TanselleTooTallTanselle Grin Grin Grin at double plie and the rest.

Samphire - it is a celebration cake. It;'s his birthday cake. He just loves Victoria Sponge. Anyhow it was a massive success with a thin layer of not too sweet vanilla butter cream and strawberry jam in the middle and whipped cream with fresh strawberries on top. They all had seconds. And it was light as a feather because I folded the flour in with a flat knife instead of using the whisk. Really does make a difference.

OP posts:
ineedaholidaynow · 08/07/2019 22:47

My mum's Victoria sponge was disqualified from a village show as it had butter cream in it!

growlingbear · 08/07/2019 22:52

My mum's Victoria sponge was disqualified from a village show as it had butter cream in it!

This is why WI needs new, younger members. I knew a woman who was disqualified for icing the sides of her coffee and walnut cake. She got a terse note: 'We did not ask for a gateau!'

Can't believe I've lived so long and never known the purist version of VSC. All my life I thought it had to have butter cream in the middle and putting double cream in was a bit out there. I'm now very disappointed in it as a traditional cake. It is way too underwhelming.

OP posts:
AnyFucker · 08/07/2019 22:54

I want cake now Angry

DogbertDogglesworth · 08/07/2019 23:13

@AnyFucker 🍰

AnyFucker · 08/07/2019 23:20
Smile
newtlover · 08/07/2019 23:30

all you butter cream heretics obviously aren't using good enough jam
you want to taste some of my jam, I promise you it is more than sufficient as a cake filling Grin

IncyWincyGrownUp · 08/07/2019 23:53

Mmmmmmm. Cake.

ineedaholidaynow · 09/07/2019 00:06

I made a Victoria sponge (no buttercream just jam) the other week for a cake sale. Someone bought the first slice and then went back and bought the rest of the cake

Leftielefterson · 09/07/2019 00:13

Buttercream for the win!

LoafofSellotape · 09/07/2019 00:14

I use salted butter. Sue me

I do too.

Also a layer of lemon curd.

Rachelover40 · 09/07/2019 02:41

Jam, no cream in a Victoria sponge. If you want to put cream in it there's nothing to stop you, it would be nice but not strictly accurate to call it a 'Victoria' sponge: it would be a cream and jam sponge cake.

You is making me well 'ungry! I want some jammy sponge right now.

LittleLongDog · 09/07/2019 08:07

For those of you that love lemon curd: I discovered orange curd this year. It is absolutely delicious and I never even knew it existed!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.