My feed
Premium

Our writers test and research products independently. When you buy through a link on our site we may earn a commission but this never affects our product choices.

Braun Sensian 7 BNT400 Non-Contact Forehead Thermometer with Age Precision® review: our verdict on this intuitive thermometer for kids

Taking your child’s temperature, especially at night, can be tricky. See how the Braun Sensian 7 thermometer fared in parent tester Laura's hands-on review.

By Laura Westerman | Last updated Mar 4, 2024

Braun Sensian 7 forehead thermometer

Price: RRP £50

What we like
  • Non-contact - ideal for newborns or infants

• Can be used in contact or non-contact mode

• Temperature reading taken in 2 seconds

• Silent mode switch

• Colour coded temperature readings

• Age Precision® technology for greater accuracy

• Can also be used to measure temperature of food and liquid

What we don't like
  • Can take time to figure out how close you need to position the thermometer to your child’s forehead

• Bulkier than other thermometers

Key specs

Type: Non-contact forehead thermometer | Age settings: 0-3m, 3-36m, 36m+ | Memory function: Yes | Celsius and Fahrenheit: Yes | Batteries: Two AAA batteries (included)

What Mumsnet users say
Boo2012 · Recommended
I use a forehead thermometer now. Most places use them now for contact-free temperature checks! I find the readings much more consistent and the same with the forehead.
See Post

• Comfort: 5/5

• Design: 4.5/5

• Ease of cleaning: 5/5

• Value for money: 4.5/5

Having used the Braun Sensian 7 No Touch and Touch Age Precision® Thermometer for several weeks with my 22-month-old, I can confidently say that this intuitive model is a game-changer for parents looking for stress-free temperature checks for their children.

Equipped with silent mode, a clear backlit display, aiming light, and on-screen guidance to help you take accurate temperature readings based on your child’s age, the Braun Sensian 7 is simple to use even in low-light conditions, making nighttime temperature checks that little bit easier.

What sets this baby thermometer apart is the colour-coded display that shifts from green to amber to red based on your child’s fever reading. No more guesswork, it provides the information you need in two seconds.

Another handy feature of this thermometer is that it measures the temperatures of food and liquids too, like your baby’s milk, soup or even bath water, which I found useful.

While it’s pretty accurate and intuitive, the Braun Sensian 7 is quite bulky compared to other thermometers and might not be the ideal size for travel compared to a stick thermometer. It does however come with a protective cover to prevent cracks or scratches should you accidentally drop it. Overall, I like the features and reliability of this forehead thermometer.

Braun Sensian 7 being used on adult

How we tested the Braun Sensian 7

I tested the Braun Sensian 7 out with my 22-month-old toddler. I also tried it out on my husband to assess the performance of the thermometer’s Age Precision® technology for adults.

To test for accuracy, I compared the temperature readings against other baby thermometers including the Braun ThermoScan 7 with Age Precision, the Braun Age Precision Digital Stick Thermometer and the Kinetik Inner Ear Thermometer.

I then scored it out of five in seven different categories: set up, ease of use, accuracy, comfort, design, ease of cleaning and value for money.

Read next: Best baby bouncers to buy right now

Braun Sensian 7 display

Does the Braun Sensian 7 provide accurate and consistent temperature readings?

Yes. While it initially took me a couple of attempts to get an accurate temperature reading due to not placing the thermometer close enough to my toddler’s forehead (the thermometer must be on or 2.5cm away from the forehead), the Braun Sensian 7 provided consistent temperature readings.

I took three temperature readings in quick succession and they all came out the same. I then tested for accuracy by comparing the readings to those taken using the Braun ThermoScan 7 with Age Precision, the Braun Age Precision Stick Thermometer and the Kinetik Inner Ear Thermometer. In most cases, the Braun Sensian was 0.1 or 0.2 degrees out.

Is the Braun Sensian 7 easy to set up?

Yes! To set this thermometer up, all I needed to do was put in the two AAA batteries it came with and then remove the thermometer cap.

I found it very intuitive to set up without needing to consult the instructions, however there is a quick start guide included should you need them and wish to get going quickly.

Braun has also included a larger instruction manual which includes information on how the thermometer works, temperature-taking tips, a troubleshooting guide, and how to use it to measure food and liquid temperature.

Read next: Best baby nail clippers for a safe trim

Braun Sensian 7 thermometer buttons

How easy is the Braun Sensian 7 to use?

The Braun Sensian 7 is bigger than the Braun ThermoScan 7 with Age Precision, but that makes it easy to grip and use. However, if you travel frequently, you may find a stick thermometer easier to take with you.

There are four buttons on the front of the thermometer - one to turn it on, one to set the age, one to change the thermometer to food/liquid mode and one to take the temperature.

Similar to the Braun ThermoScan 7 with Age Precision, the Braun Sensian 7 uses Age Precision®  technology for greater accuracy - you can choose between zero to three months, three to 36 months or 36 months plus depending on your child’s age.

Taking a temperature reading is simple once you’ve selected the age and read Braun’s instructions, including diagrams, on how close you need to be to your child’s forehead. You can set your child’s age so that it loads automatically every time you switch the thermometer on.

How easy it is to take your child’s temperature using the Braun Sensian 7 will depend on how wriggly your child is. My daughter rarely sits still so I had to gently hold her in position and quickly take a reading before she moved. This is something I don’t have quite so much trouble with when using the Braun ThermoScan 7 in-ear thermometer.

However, I did like the position aiming light which helped me position the thermometer correctly. You’ll receive a prompt if you’re too far away (which can be frustrating if you don’t get it right the first few times and need to take your child’s temperature quickly) and an error message if you forget to take the cap off.

Once you’ve taken your child’s temperature, the Braun Sensian 7 has an inbuilt, colour-coded display which takes the guesswork out of assessing how serious your child’s fever is. Green indicates no fever, yellow indicates a moderate fever and red indicates a high fever.

The NHS recommends calling 111 or your GP Surgery If your little one is under three months old and has a temperature of 38C or higher, is three to six months old and has a temperature of 39C or higher, or has other signs of illness such as a rash and is not wanting to eat.

To measure the temperature of food and liquid, you need to position the thermometer 6cm away. I used it to test how hot my daughter’s soup was. It can also be used to test your baby’s milk or even bath water in as little as two seconds.

Braun Sensian 7 sound button

Is the Braun ThermoScan 7 comfortable for babies?

Yes! The lack of invasiveness is one of the major benefits of a forehead thermometer over a stick or in-ear one. My daughter was always happy for me to take her temperature (as long as I was speedy).

If you want to take a temperature reading at night, the LCD display lights up green, which I find much more user-friendly and easier on the eyes than the blue backlit screen of the Braun ThermoScan 7.

There’s also a silent mode switch if you want to turn off the beeps so as to not disturb your sleeping baby. The thermometer will then switch off automatically after around 30 seconds - another major benefit if you’re using it whilst half asleep in the middle of the night.

Read next: Best nasal aspirators for babies

Braun Sensian 7: how easy is it to store and clean?

I found the Braun Sensian 7 to be easier to clean than in-ear thermometers that require you to throw the hygiene cap away after each use. Once you’ve finished using the Sensian 7, you can simply place the cap back on and then store it easily in your bathroom cabinet or child’s nursery.

To clean the casing, Braun recommends using an alcohol swab, however I found an antiseptic wipe to be more preferable.

Is the Braun Sensian 7 good value for money?

Absolutely. Well-made, accurate and ideal for the whole family, the Braun Sensian 7 is well worth the money. Granted, at around £50, it’s not the cheapest thermometer on the market and I would have liked to see a case included. But the excellent features and protective cover along with the fact that you can also use this thermometer for food and liquid like milk or bath water is a game-changer in my opinion.

About the author

Laura Westerman is an editor, writer and Deputy Head of Editorial Content at Mumsnet. Mum to a one-year-old, she is fully invested in discovering the best and most affordable baby products on the market, and sharing her knowledge and findings with other parents.

With over seven years' experience as a full-time editor, five of which have been spent writing, commissioning and editing pushchair product reviews and round-ups, Laura has a keen eye for what parents love and likes nothing more than putting together honest reviews to make parents' lives that little bit easier.

In addition to her work as a writer and editor, she has also appeared in a number of baby product videos for Mumsnet's YouTube channel.