Third trimester of pregnancy
It's the final countdown! Trimester three takes you from week 28 all the way to the end of pregnancy – however, we can't guarantee this will be bang on week 40. Babies have a way of keeping you on your toes (even before they're born) and rarely stick to their estimated due date. Nevertheless, you're now heading towards the finish line and will doubtless be thinking about all things labour and birth as well as life after pregnancy. Are you prepared for parenthood?
Your questions about the third trimester answered
- Am I having Braxton Hicks or real contractions?
- What are the early signs of labour?
- How can I get labour started?
- What should I pack in my hospital bag?
Your questions about labour and childbirth answered
- What pain relief is available?
- What's an epidural?
- What natural pain relief options are there?
- What's involved in an assisted delivery?
- What happens during a c-section?
- How long will it take to recover from a c-section?
- What is a water birth like?
Things to do in the third trimester
- Monitor your baby's movements
- Attend your first antenatal class
- Buy the newborn essentials
- Pack your hospital bag for the birth
- If you are RhD negative, have an Anti-D injection
- Be aware of the signs of pre-eclampsia
- Finalise your birth plan
- Talk to your birth partner about your expectations
- Practice breathing techniques for labour
- Read some positive birth stories and advice
- 15 things to do while waiting for your baby to arrive