Naomi Wolf finally suspended from Twitter

(85 Posts)
ofwarren Sat 05-Jun-21 09:47:12

The writer of The Beauty Myth, turned conspiracy theorist has finally got the boot from Twitter.

I'll be happy not reading her bilge any more to be honest.

She gave us all a laugh with her "nanopatticles" nonsense though 😂

OP’s posts: |
ofwarren Sat 05-Jun-21 09:50:21

This was the tweet that was the final nail in the coffin apparently

OP’s posts: |
GNCQ Sat 05-Jun-21 09:50:27

What did she say? Was it about Covid? There's a lot of crap on Twitter about Covid. She must have tweeted something exceptionally wrongthink

GNCQ Sat 05-Jun-21 09:50:37

Ah!

OneEpisode Sat 05-Jun-21 09:51:31

That tweet is glorious. Thank you for sharing.

GNCQ Sat 05-Jun-21 09:51:44

I was right! It's a very strange thing to post but i've read worse.

Marguerite2000 Sat 05-Jun-21 09:51:53

What an idiot.

Advertisement

nauticant Sat 05-Jun-21 09:59:07

I do like this:

www.twitter.com/MikeBeauvais/status/1401026078316056578

Lottapianos Sat 05-Jun-21 09:59:52

She honestly seems unwell, and has done for a while

Nonmaquillee Sat 05-Jun-21 10:01:30

She’s lost the plot

MangoSeason Sat 05-Jun-21 10:04:40

She has loony COVId conspiracy theories but so do a lot of other Twitter users. I think she was banned for inadvertently exposing TRA nonsense to so many people with her unhinged TRA cheerleading. Twitter can’t have that.

That said, as a free speech absolutist, I can’t celebrate this, even though I despise her COVID fear mongering and TRA nonsense.

Siablue Sat 05-Jun-21 10:04:49

I honestly feel very sad for her. She seems genuinely unwell.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sat 05-Jun-21 10:22:47

Oh no not mRNA in the drinking water!
I don't know how I manage, I'm covered in mRNA all day (I'm rough ER).

Triphazards Sat 05-Jun-21 10:27:05

I like this one.

RoyalCorgi Sat 05-Jun-21 11:18:07

Agree with Mango - on the free speech principle I don't think she should have been banned. Plus, her increasingly deranged tweets about vaccines gave us all so much pleasure.

Coyoacan Sat 05-Jun-21 11:41:45

I dislike her betrayal of women, but I also thoroughly dislike a private company deciding what we can think and say about any number of issues.

Facebook is current censoring people who support the Mexican government while a Chilean friend reports that fb is censoring the opposition to the Chilean government.

nauticant Sat 05-Jun-21 11:47:51

I was listening to the Today programme on Radio 4 earlier and there was a discussion with Kara Swisher (described by Newsweek as Silicon Valley's "most powerful tech journalist") about Trump's ban on Facebook. Her line, which I've heard from her before, is wholehearted support for the banning of bad people and for any authority to butt out because the social media giants are private companies and it's no one else's business what they choose to do. It's chilling, and very telling, to hear one of the most powerful and influential US journalists talking in these terms.

VodselForDinner Sat 05-Jun-21 11:51:24

I also thoroughly dislike a private company deciding what we can think and say about any number of issues.

You do know you’re currently posting on the platform of a private company that regularly decides what members can say about a host of issues?

Cwenthryth Sat 05-Jun-21 11:55:28

I’m on the fence about the suspension, because of her previously well respected standing, and that what she was posting is positively dangerous and massively irresponsible at the current time, and it’s a different thing to supporting one or other political party. I think.

I do agree that I genuinely think she seems quite unwell though, and hope that she has people close to her that are able to get her some help. Very sad to see.

Mollyollydolly Sat 05-Jun-21 12:09:20

I don't think she's well.

PandorasMailbox Sat 05-Jun-21 12:14:33

Wow (and no, she wasn't being sarcastic)

ScreamingMeMe Sat 05-Jun-21 12:16:41

Cwenthryth

I’m on the fence about the suspension, because of her previously well respected standing, and that what she was posting is positively dangerous and massively irresponsible at the current time, and it’s a different thing to supporting one or other political party. I think.

I do agree that I genuinely think she seems quite unwell though, and hope that she has people close to her that are able to get her some help. Very sad to see.

Agree with all of this. Thise tweets are jaw-dropping.

toffeebutterpopcorn Sat 05-Jun-21 12:17:55

I don’t think she sounds well to be honest. Probably better for her if she just steps back for a while and keep away from the conspiracy nuts.

My brother was heading that way ‘vaccinating kids???!!!!!!!’ I pointed out the BCG, whooping cough, polio... etc immunisations we had as kids.

Timeforabiscuit Sat 05-Jun-21 12:25:01

I really and truly hope that she gets help and support she needs right now, and that that those who support her in turn get support too.

It's not glorious at all, I mean we all have downright unpleasant people in our lives (and I have absolutely no idea if she is one of them), but this must be hell for those around her.

I think that social media barring should be the equivalent of the barman taking your car keys once you've had too much to drink. But crowing over someone who could be having a full blown crisis isn't palatable to me.

NicknamesAreLikeKleenex Sat 05-Jun-21 12:26:19

Didn’t help that she was tweeting absolute bollocks about medicine as “Dr” with a blue tick to prove that yes she really was a doctor (of poetry).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in