Talk

Advanced search

Mermaids sponsored by Starbucks.

(55 Posts)
lightlypoached Thu 13-Feb-20 10:13:36

Seen in Newcastle today.

You can even get a 'cute' biscuit to dunk in your vat of coffee.

ThinEndoftheWedge Thu 13-Feb-20 10:15:07

Is that a mermaid being boiled alive in coffee..?

Sounds about right.

OneEpisode Thu 13-Feb-20 11:10:29

It is a non-functional mermaid that is superficially socially acceptable.

OneEpisode Thu 13-Feb-20 11:12:07

Whereas our real gay kids are flapjacks made with identifiable natural ingredients.

stillathing Thu 13-Feb-20 11:44:29

It might have only just occurred to me how devastatingly apt the mascot of a mermaid is to this movement when it applies to children.

Lordfrontpaw Thu 13-Feb-20 14:34:35

Did you not proclaim loudly 'Are you fucking kidding me?'.

Bluerussian Thu 13-Feb-20 14:38:57

I swear at least half these people who say they support Mermaids know little or nothing about the organisation. Someone might say, "They exist to support transgender young people", and the listener will think, "That sounds OK". Tick.

Can they get out of it when they've found out what it's all about?

womaninblue Thu 13-Feb-20 14:39:38

Right, no more Starbucks for me.

womaninblue Thu 13-Feb-20 14:40:23

Oh, and I now know where to target my next stickering foray.

LastTrainEast Thu 13-Feb-20 14:48:18

is that mermaid giving a speech? Is that the end they talk out of ?

OvaHere Thu 13-Feb-20 18:30:02

Douglas Murray discusses the Starbucks/Mermaids collaboration in this podcast. Discussion is in the last 15 minutes or so of the video.

He makes some interesting points about large corporations using social justice issues as a shield for unethical practices. He also mentions the Oxfordshire Judicial Review.

I could sense his genuine anger when he talks about the transitioning of children.

youtu.be/m9YSfv_6Pjs

Forgotthebins Thu 13-Feb-20 18:53:13

Stillathing yes I always thought "mermaid" was a weird image for a charity supposedly about self-acceptance. Mythic and fairytale mermaids are beautiful but sexually unattainable because they are sealed up below the waist. I think it says a lot about the founder that she called her charity that, it evokes a real discomfort about children growing into adults and the physical and emotional changes that entails. Which is challenging for all parents but most of us think our job is to help our children navigate puberty, so that they can become independent and make lives and loves of their own, not freeze them in time.

FearaNohope Fri 14-Feb-20 07:18:20

I saw a Twitter thread about this. The ratio Starbucks got was epic

Aesopfable Fri 14-Feb-20 07:38:36

I understood that mariners were afraid of mermaids as they would lure them to their deaths.

Lordfrontpaw Fri 14-Feb-20 08:03:15

I watched a truly dreadful horror films about killer mermaids. Not nice creatures.

TheRealMcKenna Fri 14-Feb-20 08:12:54

OvaHere I listened to that podcast yesterday and thought his furious commentary about Starbucks was fantastic.

I also thought it was interesting earlier in the discussion where he touched on the fact that the ‘post truth’ approach in the world of academia is now creeping into the STEM subjects. This could go some way to explaining why we hear so few voices from the world of biology defending the idea of the reality of biological sex.

Lordfrontpaw Fri 14-Feb-20 08:32:17

‘Post truth’ is just lies though surely?

TheRealMcKenna Fri 14-Feb-20 09:04:24

‘Post truth’ is just lies though surely?

That’s what I’d assume. However, I just did a boring old engineering degree at a boring old STEM university where you had to learn boring things like ‘laws’ and ‘principles’. The pseudo-science of the social sciences just baffles me.

Durgasarrow Fri 14-Feb-20 14:44:24

Mermaids Are Maids

Durgasarrow Fri 14-Feb-20 14:50:03

Mermaids are mythical creatures whose false promises lure sailors to their deaths. If sailors jump ship, the ships are deserted. If ships are deserted, trade is lost, and civilization founders.

Lordfrontpaw Fri 14-Feb-20 14:53:07

Very disappointed sailors too. They think they are getting a sexy babe but it’s all just glitter and fishnets.

Mockersisrightasusual Fri 14-Feb-20 14:55:21

Mermaids are mythical creatures whose false promises lure sailors to their deaths.

AKA Sirens

Lordfrontpaw Fri 14-Feb-20 14:56:41

Sirens were half bird bit half fish. Original surf and turf.

Lordfrontpaw Fri 14-Feb-20 14:56:57

Half bird NOT half fish

Aesopfable Fri 14-Feb-20 15:01:04

^ Sirens were fated to die if a mortal ever resisted their beckoning^

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »