Talk

Advanced search

Time to get the 'L' out!

(134 Posts)
LaSqrrl Mon 18-Jun-18 11:39:35

Facebook just killed another Women's Liberation page (I did not follow it), upon the pressure placed by another page/group called 'Queer Librarian'.

The Women's Liberation Radio News page got targeted because they reported on Baltimore Pride, where a number of lesbians held WL signs. The WLRN page also reported that prior to the event, the Baltimore Transgender Alliance stated "terfs will be hung by their necks". This reporting of BTA by WLRN, incited the Queer Librarian page to gather ranks and report the WLRN page. (You will get the drift by looking at the screengrabs).

Lesbians are no longer welcome at Pride(!) and clearly, anyone that reports what is going on is targeted and banned.

ChickenMe Mon 18-Jun-18 12:58:42

Have they killed it?
I was following them. Some of the comments, clearly from men, were awful..inciting violence but obviously that was ok and allowed

Bowlofbabelfish Mon 18-Jun-18 13:01:24

The hanging statement is clearly (surely..?!?) direct incitement. How has that gone unchallenged?

How incredibly worrying.

BettyDuMonde Mon 18-Jun-18 13:07:32

Those Baltimore lesbians are amazingly brave.

Surely the mayor cannot fail to see who exactly is inciting hatred and violence here?

Prawnofthepatriarchy Mon 18-Jun-18 13:11:37

I can't believe Pride in Baltimore didn't react
with fury and disgust to a statement urging lesbians be lynched. I can see no possible way to ignore that it's a massive deal. Women have no place in LGBT any more, it seems.

daimbars Mon 18-Jun-18 14:07:45

Oh dear. There's a time and a place for anti-trans protests and a pride event for all LGBT people is not one of them!

You can't go round protesting about people an event is supposed to be celebrating.

Convenient there is no screen grab for the supposed comment from transgender alliance.

Bowlofbabelfish Mon 18-Jun-18 14:11:34

Oh dear. There's a time and a place for anti-trans protests and a pride event for all LGBT people is not one of them!

What’s anti trans about their placards? This is all fairly basic stuff on women’s rights, surely?
You can’t be agreeing with the desire to hang them surely? That’s a direct call to lynching. It’s unacceptable directed at any group at any time in any situation.

CircleSquareCircleSquare Mon 18-Jun-18 14:11:48

What brave women.
Does anyone know if there is a way to support them financially? Because surely all know by now that activists from the other side of the debate go after jobs and income of women who use their voice.

CircleSquareCircleSquare Mon 18-Jun-18 14:13:15

Which one of their banners was anti-trans?

JuzzaL Mon 18-Jun-18 14:23:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BettyDuMonde Mon 18-Jun-18 14:27:55

Gay Pride is the perfect time for lesbian activists, invited to the front of the parade by the mayor, to bring attention to issues affecting women and girls, especially gay women.

It’s akin to the NFL players kneeling during the anthem. The fact that some folk think it’s not the time and place is the exact reason that it is the time and place.

JuzzaL Mon 18-Jun-18 14:28:57

You can't go round protesting about people an event is supposed to be celebrating.

Convenient there is no screen grab for the supposed comment from transgender alliance.

But the "transdykes" who threaten lesbians going to LGBT events with their baseball bats is perfectly fine right?

daimbars Mon 18-Jun-18 14:29:19

‘Women is not a feeling’ and ‘Change our society not your body’ are both very anti trans statements. I imagine it was very hurtful for trans people who came to Pride to enjoy a safe space to see those messages.

Fair enough to be gender critical... but at Pride?!

I don't believe the lynching comment was ever said. If it was, why is there no screen shot?

Btw ignore @JuzzaL she likes to hound me on every thread claiming I'm not a lesbian even though I'm a natal woman married to another natal woman.

Bowlofbabelfish Mon 18-Jun-18 14:35:00

But woman is not a feeling. It is a biological reality.
And it’s society that needs to change imo - to be more tolerant of those who do not conform to stereotypes of all kinds. Society would be far better if people weren’t constantly policed in their bodies - obesity, thinness, breast size, how we look and dress. Society does need to change.

Neither statement is offensive - and neither statement, nor indeed any statement, justifies a death threat. One could argue that people are looking for offence here

JuzzaL Mon 18-Jun-18 14:38:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SciFiFan2015 Mon 18-Jun-18 14:40:00

@daimbars neither of the sayings you quote are anti-trans
Transgender people might be upset by them but neither statements is anti-trans
Neither statement is hateful so people who said them should be able to without fear.

"Change our society not your body" could work for SO MANY groups. So many.

Women isn't a feeling. That doesn't stop anyone saying they feel like a woman, but it's not a feeling.

I don't feel like a woman. I feel like me. I am a woman.

CertainHalfDesertedStreets Mon 18-Jun-18 14:40:15

And we can all see the comment 'if you want to fight some TERFs today...' and we all know this is commonplace. And we all know that there have been assaults from TRAs on women. So if there isn't a screenshots of one comment then so what? There's a context of violence against GC women, especially lesbians. How can anyone be justifying that by wittering on about 'hurtful' comments (i.e facts) in 'safe spaces?? hmm

RatRolyPoly Mon 18-Jun-18 14:41:11

Um, yeah. 50% of their slogans make sense at an LGBT Pride parade...

The other 50% would make sense at a feminist march, but to raise them at an LGBT march is ..um... inflammatory.

Is it though, isn't it.

Here you go, the 3 relevant slogans: Dykes don't like dick, Violence against lesbians is an epidemic, Lesbian not Queer. Totes make sense that they would hold these banners there, right?

The 3 that are ...goady, given the specific LGBT nature of the march^: Women are oppressed because of biology not identity, Woman is not a feeling, Change our society not your body. Yeah, at a ^feminist march, to be expected. At an LGBT event that is supposed to be safe for and celebrate LGBT including transpeople? Hmmmm.

RatRolyPoly Mon 18-Jun-18 14:42:01

Totally unacceptable to incite or make sinister reference to violence though, obvs.

CircleSquareCircleSquare Mon 18-Jun-18 14:47:46

*@daimbars neither of the sayings you quote are anti-trans
Transgender people might be upset by them but neither statements is anti-trans
Neither statement is hateful so people who said them should be able to without fear.

"Change our society not your body" could work for SO MANY groups. So many.

Women isn't a feeling. That doesn't stop anyone saying they feel like a woman, but it's not a feeling.*

I don't feel like a woman. I feel like me. I am a woman.

^
This, this all day long.

Also, you do realise LGBT contains the first 3 letters, right? Not all LGBT issues are T focused. For instance my sexuality is not something I “identify” as, it isn’t a feeling, it is something I am, it is not a “gender identity”.
You can’t change the meaning of my sexuality because someone appropriates womanhood to include another sex.
I don’t go to Pride events anymore because as a bisexual woman I am repeatedly told the B should be removed from LGBT and that I am either trans or queer. What the fuck ever.

AngryAttackKittens Mon 18-Jun-18 14:49:12

If only it was obvious to everyone that threatening to hang people isn't OK. Wouldn't it be nice to live in that world?

Wanderabout Mon 18-Jun-18 14:49:45

Yeah Pride is a bad choice of time for lesbians to assert their rights. How insensitive. hmm

RatRolyPoly Mon 18-Jun-18 14:50:52

If only it was obvious to everyone that threatening to hang people isn't OK. Wouldn't it be nice to live in that world?

YY, if only it were so easy.

RatRolyPoly Mon 18-Jun-18 14:52:59

Yeah Pride is a bad choice of time for lesbians to assert their rights.

Half of their statements asserted their rights ^as lesbians^; unpalatable to some, perhaps, but totally legit in the circumstances I reckon - on balance.

The other half asserted their rights as women, and this march was about their rights as lesbians. This was not a women's march. So half of their statements were perhaps not appropriate to the event - again, on balance.

JuzzaL Mon 18-Jun-18 14:53:12

I don’t go to Pride events anymore because as a bisexual woman I am repeatedly told the B should be removed from LGBT and that I am either trans or queer. What the fuck ever.

I've seen the picture going around twitter, calling for bisexual to be removed and erased, because bi means 2 genders, and there are more than 2. Really disgusting. It means attraction to both sexes, and there are only 2.

I naively thought bisexual people would be left alone, because bisexuality doesn't invalidate their "identity" like lesbian does, that and the fact I thought they were happy with having made up pansexual.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: