Talk

Advanced search

Charles / Charlotte Clymer

(35 Posts)
MrGHardy Fri 01-Dec-17 00:01:12

twitter.com/cmclymer/status/936075166072950784

Apparently when you tell people you've felt like a woman for 20 years, everyone forgets you're a misogynist and downright arsehole.

www.huffingtonpost.ca/darlena-cunha/men-feminism_b_3275303.html

This got my eye, too:

twitter.com/Alyssa_Milano/status/936084084228362240

Random "oh thank you for being soooooo brave you poor soul" by Alyssa Milano, she has over 3 million followers. She kick started #metoo. And she supports a man known for harassing women, now as a woman. What. The. Fuck. Is. Going. On?

pisacake Fri 01-Dec-17 00:05:10

39 tweets mansplaining it? nice.

DJBaggySmalls Fri 01-Dec-17 00:05:35

Its moral cowardice. It explains the phenomena of those annoying kids that follow the school bully round the playground shouting 'Yeah' every time they open their mouth.

1) They are too scared to stand by themselves and have to follow the group, even if the group is wrong.
2) They hope the bully wont thump them.

Read Andrea Dworkin, Right Wing Women. It predicts the current trends.
PDF here;
www.feministes-radicales.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Andrea-DWORKIN-Right-Wing-Women-The-Politics-of-Domesticated-Females-19831.pdf

pisacake Fri 01-Dec-17 00:07:36

www.change.org/p/stein-huffingtonpost-com-remove-charles-clymer-as-a-contributor

makemeasammich.org/tag/charles-clymer/

ferntwist Fri 01-Dec-17 00:08:36

Could anyone update me on who he was before & a little bit of what the backstory is? I saw his posts on Twitter becoming Charlotte but didn’t know who he had been.
That Huff post link doesn’t seem to be about him.

ferntwist Fri 01-Dec-17 00:09:25

Ah cross post with Pisa, thanks for the new link

pisacake Fri 01-Dec-17 00:13:56

Look:

pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/833726135234134017/iGivn04A_400x400.jpg

It's a woman. You can tell because of the tiara. That's how you tell.

MrGHardy Fri 01-Dec-17 00:14:42

Thanks DJ

and wow, just read the cliff notes, change a few words/themes and it's exactly what is happening now. Will look forward to reading it.

ferntwist Fri 01-Dec-17 00:15:59

This is the clearest example yet of what the trans activist movement has become - a way for privileged white men to become brave oppressed victims without suffering at all, a way for them to take over social justice movements and push out women from feminism.
This is truly Orwellian.

pisacake Fri 01-Dec-17 00:17:29

Yes quite. When he was a man mansplaining feminism, some people criticised him, and he got taken down a peg.

But now he's a woman, well those self same people are now evil transphobes and have no right to comment #nodebate #transwomenarewomen #moreofawomanthanyou

ferntwist Fri 01-Dec-17 00:19:42

Pisa this is insane. Surely the wider world is going to laugh this whole movement out of town?
I’m starting to realise why women voted for Trump. I thought the critique of identity politics after the election were right wing but they might have got it right.
We’ve got our very own Charlotte right here in the Labour Party - Liam/Lily Madigan. How can women vote for this?

pisacake Fri 01-Dec-17 00:21:52

I have no idea.

He literally just puts a tiara on and says 'I'm a woman now' (but in patronising 40-tweet-form), and literally thousands of people come to congratulate him on his bravery, as if this crap will actually damage his career.

ferntwist Fri 01-Dec-17 00:34:56

When will people wake up?
Do you think the wider world will reject this nonsense and it’s just the very young and very lefty who are pandering to the increasing way-outness of it all?

LassWiTheDelicateAir Fri 01-Dec-17 00:45:29

Read Andrea Dworkin, Right Wing Women. It predicts the current trends

I haven't read it but why are you blaming right wing women. His followers include Connie Schulz who has impeccable Democratic credentials.

DJBaggySmalls Fri 01-Dec-17 01:12:15

Where did I say I 'blame' right wing women, Lass?

LassWiTheDelicateAir Fri 01-Dec-17 01:17:53

The Dworkin article referring to right wing women. I haven't read it so possibly the title is not what it was about.

ferntwist Fri 01-Dec-17 01:26:36

I’m on the left but I think it might be more right wing women (and men) in politics who will save us from this damaging legislation. The proposals to allow men to identify as women and access women’s most private spaces, clubs, shortlists, prizes, shelters, prisons and more are INSANE.

pisacake Fri 01-Dec-17 01:43:58

It's 250 pages and I haven't read it, but it does appear to argue that right-wing women subordinate themselves. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Dworkin#Right-Wing_Women

ferntwist Fri 01-Dec-17 02:15:52

It seems to be left-wing women subordinating themselves at the moment bowing down to the most crazy transgender activist demands. (‘Penis is female’?)

SeaWitchly Fri 01-Dec-17 07:15:01

www.theonion.com/man-finally-put-in-charge-of-struggling-feminist-moveme-1819569515

Charles Clymer 'feminist leader' reminds me of the spoof article above.
I remember when I first read it and laughed and thought it was a witty take on 'mansplaining', never thought for one second we would see the like in reality hmm

SeaWitchly Fri 01-Dec-17 07:21:05

Only now feminist 'Peter McGowan' would wear a tiara, declare himself a woman and change his name to 'Peta'... to rapturous applause regarding his 'bravery' in 'choosing to live as his authentic self' or somesuch bullshit whilst still retaining his sense of male superiority and privilege.

QuentinSummers Fri 01-Dec-17 08:09:17

That "coming out" thread was very predictable. Also, I get the impression this might be a slow transition, like Danielle Muscato.
He did use the word "comfortability" which made me chuckle.

PricklyBall Fri 01-Dec-17 08:15:53

RogueBiscuit's cartoon from the Osbourne thread seems appropriate here, so I shall steal it...

GuardianLions Fri 01-Dec-17 08:22:58

That bloke is taking the piss. The tiara ffs.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Fri 01-Dec-17 09:55:42

He is taking the piss!

I have lived as a “genderqueer” person for three years because I felt it was the closest I could get to authenticity while still being able to answer those questions comfortably. All I needed was the room to do some code switching. Being “male” when required. Just get by.

Just like any woman then. I mean, com' on, ladies, who hasn't been male when required, just get by? I do it all. the. time. Today, I slipped on a pair of jeans and went to work as Steve. It's great! I get paid more, no one doubts my ability to do my job, and I face zero sexual harassment. Then when I get home, I pop my tiara on and it's back to being silly, airheaded Saskia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now