Talk

Advanced search

State of the Union by Douglas Kennedy

(9 Posts)
Posey Fri 15-Aug-08 20:42:07

Have read just over 100 pages of 600+ and am not particularly enthralled, but its okay. As I don't have tons of time to read I get annoyed if I've wasted time on something that hasn't entertained me in some ways (esp if it is 600 pages).
Has anyone read it? Should I persist?

LaVieEnRose Fri 15-Aug-08 20:52:58

Is that the one where the woman had a relationship with some bloke from an underground movement in the 60's? And how she loses friends etc when he writes a book or something?

If it is it is very good! All his books are good. Apart from woman in the fifth which I just read and it was just weird.

sorry that doesn't really answer your question does it? blush

bran Fri 15-Aug-08 20:57:07

I'm about half way through (and wishing that I hadn't just read LVER's synopsis), it was very slow to start but has since gotten much better, although still slow moving.

I like his books, although I didn't enjoy A Special Relationship (it was well written, I just found it very upsetting). His early books are much faster moving though, perhaps he needs tighter editing now.

If you haven't read it I recommend The Dead Heart.

Posey Fri 15-Aug-08 21:11:29

Thats encouraging then. I'll persist with it. I took my friend a selection of books (at her request) to take on holiday, and she gave me this to read.

LaVieEnRose Fri 15-Aug-08 21:55:46

sorry blush

bran Sat 16-Aug-08 18:07:40

That's ok, I was only 10 pages away from the book being published. It's quite exciting now.

kitkat9 Wed 20-Aug-08 17:03:37

I heart him, but IMO his best book BY FAR is The Oursuit of Happiness.

Have given it to many friends, all loved it.

kitkat9 Wed 20-Aug-08 17:04:05

PURsuit. duh.

rosmerta Wed 20-Aug-08 17:59:32

So is it worth trying another of his? Just read A Special Relationship which was ok but didn't think it was that great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now