Talk

Advanced search

Heavy rain warning for the south for fri 7th June

(85 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 06-Jun-19 20:28:29

Yes really!
www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?id=9cb1fea2-3ea9-468c-9c9d-9a105fc9a2ff&date=2019-06-07

Could be some embedded thunderstorms in it.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 06-Jun-19 20:34:19

Looking at things, it's possible that we could have some flash flooding in one or two spots if the storms develop. Definitely a day to watch.

QueenKubauOfKish Thu 06-Jun-19 20:35:45

It's been almost non-stop rain in Scotland for days now, so fed up of it!

Why is it so rainy OYBBK?

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 06-Jun-19 22:32:56

It's the jet stream I think, piling it on top of you. Down here it's has been much drier than average.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 07-Jun-19 08:20:12

The area has been shifted and time frame been bought forward, but a large part of the south is still under a heavy rain warning. Localised flash flooding seems quite likely.

www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?id=9cb1fea2-3ea9-468c-9c9d-9a105fc9a2ff&date=2019-06-07

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 07-Jun-19 08:25:54

Actually, I'm not sure it has been bought forward. The new met office site can be a bit confusing at times. The warnings are for this afternoon. This mornings rain is a prelude.

The Low pressure has been called 'Miguel' as it has come up through Spain and has some very strong winds on its southern flank.

Thunderstorms are possible for southern and Midland regions this afternoon and evening.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 07-Jun-19 08:28:18

(one day we will get the weather section more prominent on mn. The weather affects us all, but no one knows we are here sad )

thesandwich Fri 07-Jun-19 08:32:12

Thanks kitten for the heads up! Very much appreciated😉

FlowerTink Fri 07-Jun-19 08:33:10

Following with interest. I don't see the weather section on mn as much as I'd like to, but I enjoy popping in. South here (literally a few mins walk from the south coast) and so far it's been non stop rain, not at what I'd call heavy yet but I assume the worst is to come

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 07-Jun-19 08:33:40

You're welcome!

It's been so long since we had substantial rain in my region that I'm almost looking forward to it! Wish I'd remembered to mow the lawn yesterday though.

nannynick Fri 07-Jun-19 08:36:09

Just leaving this here for later... always fun to watch when storms come: www.lightningmaps.org

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 07-Jun-19 08:36:42

It is Flowertink, especially if you are west of the IOW. This afternoons rain looks more to be in the really heavy thundery showers category I think. So some parts of the warning area will, no doubt, be rolling their eyes at this when they don't see anything especially wet.

Tomorrow southern coastal areas look to see gales. A very autumnal feel to this low pressure system.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 07-Jun-19 08:36:56

Well done nannynick!

hazandduck Fri 07-Jun-19 08:40:37

We are in the South and guess what...I got in to bed last night and suddenly remembered I’d left my washing out!! Thought ah well, I’ll leave it out til the morning...I’m a nob!

nannynick Fri 07-Jun-19 08:41:18

Given how dry it has been in the South recently I do wonder how the surface water will cope. Flash flooding due to surface water not being absorbed quick enough may well be an issue.

Yesterday I saw a local stream being cleared of growth/debris so I think the council considered it a risk or maybe just good timing.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 07-Jun-19 08:43:35

oh no hazandduck!!!!

IrenetheQuaint Fri 07-Jun-19 08:48:13

The forecast looks rather miserable too. Are we in for a depressing jet streamy summer?

HasThisSoddingNameGoneToo Fri 07-Jun-19 08:53:43

My geraniums won’t be happy. (Literally the “oldest” sentence I’ve ever typed.)

So this morning’s rain is just a prelude? I’m in the SE and it’s so heavy that both my sons put coats on without being asked; that’s unprecedented.

Mner2019 Fri 07-Jun-19 08:55:11

We could really do with some rain - it has been a very dry spring but it’ll all just bounce off the surface I am sure. Lawn has dried out... water butts are empty...

ExpletiveDelighted Fri 07-Jun-19 08:57:00

Steady but not torrential here (Surrey/Hants border area). Glad I didn't bother watering my allotment yesterday but worried about the emergence of slugs. Last year was a very difficult growing year, too hot and dry so some regular rain (preferably at night) would be welcome.

Jsmith99 Fri 07-Jun-19 09:00:05

We definitely need plenty of rain here in the East Midlands. The Spring was exceptionally dry here and our reservoirs are running low.

SquirmOfEels Fri 07-Jun-19 09:00:34

Raining, but not heavily, in south London. We're on the edge of the warning zone, and the forecasts all seem unanimous that we're in for a wet day, it's less clear if it'll be torrents.

TokyoSushi Fri 07-Jun-19 09:02:10

Thanks as always OYBBK - super helpful!

DownToTheSeaAgain Fri 07-Jun-19 09:03:21

Perfect weather for a Cub camp 😥😂😥

Oblomov19 Fri 07-Jun-19 09:33:52

Expecting flooding here in Surrey, only because there has been so little rain this year, that reservoirs are empty and the surface won't be able to cope with the predicted rain.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »