Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Poorly BiteyDog

(82 Posts)
BiteyShark Sat 04-Nov-17 04:43:05

Started my own thread as feel awful keep bringing the puppy survival thread down with my woes.

So bought him home from the vets tonight which was a massive mistake. Started vomiting again so we have just done a dash back to the emergency vets for an anti-sickness injection.

Held off admitting him again as I think they will have no choice but to open him up and look around all of his abdomen next week and selfishly I want to spend some time with him before they do that.

Second mistake was not readmitting him as the injection hasn't stopped it. Going to take him back first thing and let them look after him for the rest of the weekend. I keep thinking did I give him too much to eat too soon? But he's vomiting liquid and not food sad

It's heartbreaking to see him in so much discomfort. I would rather it was me that was ill sad The poor boy has had more exams and scans than anything and despite them hurting him he still is so friendly.

BiteyShark Sat 04-Nov-17 04:45:22

Just needed to post my worries as I am exhausted (I haven't slept other than catching a few minutes here and there) as this has been going on for just under two weeks and he's my lovely boy sad

Boynamedsue Sat 04-Nov-17 07:28:02

Sorry to hear your lovely dog is poorly bitey. I'm sure he's getting the best care, hope he's back to his old bitey self soon flowers

bluetongue Sat 04-Nov-17 07:41:01

Bluepuppy sends his best wishes. Best wishes for Biteypup's recovery flowers

Thewolfsjustapuppy Sat 04-Nov-17 08:26:27

Hope Biteypup feels better soon flowers

Hoppinggreen Sat 04-Nov-17 09:44:36

Poor pup, hope he's better soon

BiteyShark Sat 04-Nov-17 09:55:17

Thanks everyone. He's been admitted again for the weekend and I have given the go ahead for any ops and scans for Monday. Looks like an exploritory operation is now unavoidable sad

Hoppinggreen Sat 04-Nov-17 09:57:50

Oh bitey keeping everything crossed for you - am I right on thinking he's a Goldie?

SkeletonSkins Sat 04-Nov-17 10:00:01

Oh Bitey I'm so sorry to hear this sad he's in the best place though and just goes to show you've raised such a lovely dog who will put up with all sorts happening and still be so friendly. Fingers crossed they sort him out on Monday and he can start getting on the mend.

BiteyShark Sat 04-Nov-17 10:00:13

He's a cocker spaniel Hoppinggreen. Lovely nature and all the vet nurses love him so it's so sad to see him trying to wag his tail when he feels so rough sad

Hoppinggreen Sat 04-Nov-17 10:05:04

Sorry must have you confused with someone else
Will be thinking about you today in any case

GetTheStartyParted Sat 04-Nov-17 11:01:31

Sorry he's still so poorly Bitey. Hope your sweet boy is better soon flowers

Pombliboo123 Sat 04-Nov-17 11:06:37

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this but please please let them do the exploratory op ASAP.

The vet advised we waited a few days before doing so on our dog... so we did. By the time they did the op and discovered a large blockage the blood supply to his intentines was non existent and he passed away sad

The quicker they find the issue the easier it can be to rectify. If they'd have done the exploratory op the first night we took him to the vets he would still be with us today.

Floralnomad Sat 04-Nov-17 11:15:38

Hope he feels better soon , but i agree with pp , if he needs opening up / better scans he needs them now not on Monday . I assume they’ve done bloods and ruled out something like pancreatitis .

BiteyShark Sat 04-Nov-17 11:35:47

He's had multiple xrays, ultrasounds, bloods, fetal samples. Nothing so far has shown up sad.

Pombliboo123 Sat 04-Nov-17 11:39:39

With my poor precious dog, Nothing showed up on his xrays or blood either. Turned out he had swallowed one of those bath poof things you use to wash yourself with (unbeknownst to us) And it didn't show up because it wasn't dense enough... or something (no medical knowledge here) . I wish more than anything we had taken him for a second opinion elsewhere.

BiteyShark Sat 04-Nov-17 11:46:22

They thought he was getting better hence us taking him home for the weekend but almost as soon as he was home he started going backwards again. He's been very up and down which has been the most frustrating. We have lots of lovely vets at our practice and they have all had a look so we have had a second/third opinion with them but yes it's now time for a rummage about sad.

I just wish you could explain to them what's happening as the look they give you breaks your heart.

Pombliboo123 Sat 04-Nov-17 11:58:27

I know, it's awful sad our dog was a loser and although looked on the brink of death at home, perked up at the surgery (tail wagging etc) Probably due to the people and smells and I think the vet thought we were overreacting because of that... I just lay on the floor with mine and kisses his nose and gave him lots of cuddles. It's so heartbreaking.

BiteyShark Sat 04-Nov-17 12:05:43

I'm so sorry Pombliboo123 flowers
BiteyDog sounds the same in that he can rally himself at the vets as he wants to be nice to everyone. I have videoed him though and showed the vets so they saw what he had been like at home which has helped. The house is definitely not a home without him here sad

Elphame Sat 04-Nov-17 13:39:49

Oh dear - not an update I wanted. Poor little chap. sad

Cocobananas Sat 04-Nov-17 14:04:28

Just seen this Bitey, poor little guy. Try and catch up on some sleep over the weekend so you are ready to face Monday . Will be thinking of you.

BiteyShark Sat 04-Nov-17 14:23:36

Just managed an hours sleep and feel like I have jet lag.

I just really hope they find the reason soon. First it was vomiting, then horrendous straining and diarrhoea and now back to vomiting again. The poor chap has lost so much weight and he was a skinny thing to begin with. I am going to have to try and find lots of distractions over the weekend. Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Abhorsen Sat 04-Nov-17 14:36:55

I had really hoped to come on and find he was better, will keep everything crossed and hope the ops goes well and they find and solve the problem. I can't imagine how you must be feeling - try and rest at least so you can be all ready for Monday x

DeepfriedPizza Sat 04-Nov-17 15:16:49

flowers poor bitey dog. I really hope you get some good news soon, he really has had a rough time.

Wolfiefan Sat 04-Nov-17 15:18:58

So sorry. Do they think it's food related maybe? Obviously no infection. Could he have ingested a toxin? (Ok I'm grasping at straws now. Blue/green algae?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now