Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Doctor Foster 2: the Post-Mortem [where we continue dissecting an everyday story of Parminster folk].

(132 Posts)
ZuzuMyLittleGingersnap Tue 03-Oct-17 23:26:50

Last thread was maxed out.

Everyone disappeared...

Couldn't find ongoing 'live' comments, so all welcome here.
(Strictly no shenanigans on kitchen islands or dining tables, though).

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 03-Oct-17 23:33:58

Utter shite, I'm horrified at how bad it was grin

AgathaRaisonDetra Tue 03-Oct-17 23:35:02

I didn't watch it. Did she step in a puddle?

Justonemorepleasethen Tue 03-Oct-17 23:35:04

Terrible ending shock

stonecircle Tue 03-Oct-17 23:40:59

I was distracted from the 'plot' (I use the term loosely) by Suranne Jones' awful acting. Time she worked out that less is more and stopped that awful gurning and face pulling which passes for acting.

ZuzuMyLittleGingersnap Tue 03-Oct-17 23:41:22

Agatha,

Yeah...right up to her middle...but the silly moo insisted on going there again. grin

thisyearwillbefab Tue 03-Oct-17 23:46:44

Well that was shit.

TheCraicDealer Tue 03-Oct-17 23:53:04

The series was easily an episode too long. Last week’s good but that last one was just a bit crap. Like what happened really between the end of last week and the start of this week? They moved back into the house, went for sushi and she finally dumped wet teacher. That was it ffs! Everything else was just padding.

I read an article earlier that said that the writer was trying give it a Greek tragedy vibe, which (guess what) have five acts. If that’s not a shit way to decide how long a series is then I don’t know what is.

Good on Tom for dumping them though, the whole thing just seemed like a giant head fuck from the child’s POV.

ZuzuMyLittleGingersnap Wed 04-Oct-17 00:04:46

Found Tom's distress whilst his self-obsessed parents continued with their power games very hard to watch.
Was quite hoping that ex-neighbour Anna was going to arrive on a mercy mission from Edinburgh.

Simon's snivelling self-pity was excruciating. So heartless to manipulate your own son like that. angry
Bertie Carvel himself is a lovely chap I'm sure (though he seems to be getting serious flack for a This Morning interview: anyone seen it? What happened?), so I'm assuming he's playing against type...

Andrew from Liar and Simon should both to be forced to live out the rest of their days on some remote island, manacled together. That'd learn them.

Choccywoccyhooha Wed 04-Oct-17 00:34:16

Good grief, the last episode was dreadful.

HelenaDove Wed 04-Oct-17 01:13:38

And the bloody sound quality of it on i player has been awful.

Gorgosparta Wed 04-Oct-17 05:18:55

I felt that the last episode was a filler. As though they werent sure how to finish it and wrote it the morning filming began.

I did really think that Simon was going to appear in the doorway behind Gemma at the end.

Tom is the only one i feel sorry for. In the flashbacks, was Simon trying to manipulate Gemma in to quitting her job? Why would he when he was having an affair and was actually financially fucked?

Also, if Simon had killed himself, surely the police would be interested in the fact that she gave him the drugs and handwritten instructions.

Overall this seris wasnt as good as the last one. Last weeks episode was the best, though.

Got to ask, i might have missed it, what was in the present that Gemma gave Kate in episode 1.

Doublescoop Wed 04-Oct-17 05:53:42

That last episode was so disappointing and I feel robbed. Too rushed, too lazy for an ending - last week could have been it. Yet again a BBC drama fails to deliver. Reminds me of that drama earlier this year about the architects which promised so much but also had a rushed last episode. So bad I can't even remember the name.

MyGastIsFlabbered Wed 04-Oct-17 06:17:14

Could someone give me a brief summary? I couldn't want past episode 2 as it was so bad but I'm curious as to what happened. PM if you don't want to post spoilers on here !

ZuzuMyLittleGingersnap Wed 04-Oct-17 06:36:40

Double,

"The Replacement" ?

MyGast,

This is really helpful for anyone wanting a speedy catch-up:
[WARNING: OBVIOUSLY CONTAINS SPOILERS!]
www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/oct/03/doctor-foster-recap-series-two-finale-unbelievably-devastating

NotAgainYoda Wed 04-Oct-17 06:40:13

Amazing. At no point did anyone think that calling the police was the right thing to do...

papayasareyum Wed 04-Oct-17 06:40:49

It could have ended last week with Simon having his breakdown outside his empties house as Kate drives away with her parents and he’s left with nothing. Last nights episode was dire and very uncomfortable to watch an emotionally abused child going through hell like that.

MyYoniFromHull Wed 04-Oct-17 06:46:03

I've just watched the last one, gritting my teeth and fighting the urge to shout at the television 'just fuck off you manipulative narcissist' at Simon. Really disappointing stuff. And I love Suranne Jones but my forehead was aching on behalf of all the furrowed brow bollocks.

ZuzuMyLittleGingersnap Wed 04-Oct-17 06:51:34

Gorgosparta,

Gemma's present to Kate was Simon's speech he'd made at their wedding, to prove to Kate how much he'd originally cared for her.

I think some of the same (supposedly special) phrases about Kate had been re-hashed from those he used for Gemma!

Kate's nagging suspicions confirmed.

Gorgosparta Wed 04-Oct-17 06:57:36

ZuzuMyLittleGingersnap

Thank you. I remember noe you have said it. That was quite disappointing. Probably why i forgot grin

topcat2014 Wed 04-Oct-17 07:40:52

I liked the whole dual carriageway bit, it was a bit different to other telly.

Travelodge less so.

We must be so short of Doctors though that she can just rock up at the surgery whenever, even after leaving.

southeastdweller Wed 04-Oct-17 07:54:56

BC said on This Morning that Simon was three-dimensional, which I agree with.

ZuzuMyLittleGingersnap Wed 04-Oct-17 08:02:40

Think Slimon's just never really forgiven Gemma for suffering PND, (which would have been hard on their relationship, as for many), requiring him to 'sacrifice' his (imaginary, from the way she scoffed) career trajectory aka support his partner through her tough time, like any caring new parent would and then 'allow' her to be the main breadwinner with status.

The harsh fact that having extensive medical knowledge is no protection from severe depression, a bastard equal-opportunities illness, and feeling helpless and unable to "cure" it herself, can only have rubbed it in more for Gemma, perhaps?

And Slimon's weasel words to his own son's stricken face that Gemma really had said she wanted to abandon him/ wished she'd never had him, rather than that the PND itself had been responsible...Jeez. Just such a desperate (failed) attempt from him to point-score.
Hands up who else swore at the screen?
angry angry

- Very surprised Sian didn't prove far more important.
- Did smile that Tom seemed unduly pleased, for a teenage lad, that their house was getting a new kitchen! But that's just heart-wrenchingly sad now.

ZuzuMyLittleGingersnap Wed 04-Oct-17 08:06:28

In the interests of fairness, here's BC out of Simon role, being personable: smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSCsmMXEprI

Gavisconbreath Wed 04-Oct-17 08:42:36

I was a bit disappointed by the ending, but glad it wasn't excessively OTT. I will probably give the third series a go.

I think the acting was ok in some places. I don't think we were really meant to pity many of the main characters much, apart from Tom, as this series is intended to portray how (some) people aren't able to be civil during divorce, despite the effect it has on their children. It was an OTT portrayal that didn't completely make sense at times. Hopefully the third series will be less about this now.

Bit puzzled about the purpose of Sian in this series too. Quite liked her character too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now