Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Swears By

(21 Posts)
AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 06-Oct-17 12:52:39

Hi folks,

Some of you may already receive our weekly Swears By newsletter, which is a round-up of products (predominantly style and beauty goodies) that Mumsnetters have been recommending to each other. But, for those of you who don’t, here’s what MNers have been swearing by this week:

Tesco F&F Coated Mid-Rise Skinny Trousers, £16

A cross between skinny jeans and leather leggings in an autumnal plum shade.

“I got a great pair of trousers in Tesco for £16! Plum, skinny and very cool. I wore them to a gig and got lots of comments.”

If you want to be first to know about the next cult product, you can sign up to the newsletter here.

Mumsnet Swears By is free and independent from advertising but if you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale (more details here).

Alice & Charlotte

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 06-Oct-17 12:55:15

Hush Short Parka, £150

A versatile coat with detachable lining – available in classic khaki or black.

“It's a really nice coat and, like all the Hush stuff I've ordered, it feels comfy and luxe. It's bringing me great, great joy!”

Plus, get free delivery and returns with code AUTUMN17

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 06-Oct-17 12:57:12

Wunderbrow brow gel, £19.95

A natural-looking, long-lasting and transfer-proof brow tamer

“My eyebrows are crap: short, fair, a bit patchy. I spent years using pencil, which was fine, but Wunderbrow lasts three days, survives a hot shower, and means I wake up looking awake. I can't recommend it enough.”

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 06-Oct-17 12:58:39

Uniqlo Extra Fine Merino crew-neck sweater, £24.90

A lightweight jumper in a classic shape – available in 11 colours

“Uniqlo is brilliant. The merino knitwear is excellent and usually in classic colours. I have coats, skirts and a bag from there, too. A class act. Love it.”

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 20-Oct-17 16:32:40

Mint Velvet Leggings, £15

Modal cotton with a flattering high waist - available in 7 different colours

“Mint Velvet leggings are the best I've ever had: thick and high-waisted - no pulling up needed! I live in them over the winter with tunics and jersey dresses. So comfy!"

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 20-Oct-17 16:35:57

The Ordinary Caffeine Solution, £5.80

A serum that reduces the appearance of dark circles and under-eye puffiness.

"I'm seriously impressed after a week. Not spendy, very high-tech. A few weeks ago I had that double eyebag thing going on - I'm down to just one bag now and not nearly as dark! I've used every eye cream out there and so far I'd say it's more effective than anything else I've ever used."

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 20-Oct-17 16:38:20

F&F Long-line Sweatshirt, £12

Cosy up in this jersey sweatshirt.

“I recently bought a really nice, long sweatshirt from Tesco - it's lovely and soft!”

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 20-Oct-17 16:42:29

Sally Hansen Nail Rehab, £9.27

A strengthening treatment with jasmine, rose and vitamin E to moisturise and protect nails.

"I bought Sally Hansen Nail Rehab last week and my normally woeful nails look amazing - my husband noticed yesterday and asked if I'd had them done! It's a pale pink colour and makes your nails look shiny and perfect."

ImADingleDangleScarecrow Fri 20-Oct-17 22:30:55

It just goes to show how different opinions can be. Wunderbrow is truly the worst beauty product I’ve ever bought - it’s shite in my opinion grin

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 27-Oct-17 09:41:27

Nip+Fab Viper Venom Micro Blur Fix, £19.95

A serum that primes and mattifies the skin for a flawless complexion.

“I love Nip+Fab's Viper Venom. It makes my skin feel amazing and it looks so glowing and fresh."

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 27-Oct-17 09:43:45

Dune Pontoon stacked heel ankle boots, £79.20 (were £99)

Versatile ankle boots with an almond-shaped toe and Cuban heel - available in six colours.

"I bought the Dune Pontoon boots in dark taupe and wear them with skinny jeans or rolled-up mom jeans, skirts, and dresses. They go with everything. They come in black too and they're on sale at the moment."

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 27-Oct-17 09:45:12

Topshop Black Sidney jeans, £40

Mid-rise black skinny jeans made from super-stretch denim.

"Topshop has a new style of jeans called Sidney. I have a couple of pairs now and I'm really pleased with them. I used to wear the Leigh skinnies all the time, but these ones are thicker for the colder weather. Another bonus is that they seem to hold in my tummy more - never a bad thing."

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 27-Oct-17 09:46:37

Nigel Slater's Christmas Chronicles, £11.99 (was £26)

A guide to winter with recipes, decorations and fables taking you from Bonfire Night to New Year.

"I’m reading Nigel Slater’s Christmas Chronicles at the mo - it's def a dip in and out book with recipes and lots of mumbling. It’s just lovely."

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 27-Oct-17 09:49:58

M&S 100 Denier Velvet Touch tights, £9.50

Opaque black tights made from super-soft microfibre.

"These tights are the dog's ******. I have one pair still going strong on their fourth winter. I stock up whenever there's a deal. M&S gets tights and underwear very right, in my experience."

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-Nov-17 13:58:47

The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane, £7.80

A serum that reduces the appearance of fine lines, evens skin tone and combats signs of ageing

"This is so good it's scary. I used it last night for the first time and, my word, I can see a difference today already! In all seriousness: clearer brighter skin. I've never seen a difference like this before. I'm bloody gobsmacked."

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-Nov-17 14:05:46

Miss Selfridge Faux Leather Jacket, £49

A soft faux leather biker jacket with minimal gold detailing

“It's not real leather, no, but it's beautifully soft and not remotely plastic-y or anything. It genuinely is lovely.”

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-Nov-17 14:12:11

Lakeland Oven Mate cleaning gel, £7.99

A powerful oven cleaning kit that includes a brush and gloves

"Lakeland Oven Mate is magic. Apply the thick, clear, non-smelly gel, leave it for most of the day, then simply wipe off with kitchen roll to reveal a shiny oven that looks brand-new. Told you it's magic! Involves no mess, smell or elbow grease."

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-Nov-17 14:15:02

Mint Velvet Black Marl Batwing Dress, £109

A soft jersey marl dress with batwing sleeves and side ruching that can be dressed up or down

“I just bought this dress from Mint Velvet for my mini-moon in Iceland...it's very cosy and flattering”

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-Nov-17 14:19:01

Asda Active Wear Marl leggings, £12.50

Practical, comfy sport leggings with stretch fabric and a high waistband

“The trainers and more experienced gym-goers I've spoken to all seem to really rate Asda sports leggings for staying up and washing well over the fancy brands. I was really surprised by the unanimous vote!"

"I second the Asda sports leggings, high waist and thick waistband. Very good, especially for the price!"

EnidButton Fri 03-Nov-17 16:59:43

Those M&S tights are the worst ones I’ve ever tried. They go baggy behind the knees and around the ankle and are shiny.

MorrisZapp Fri 03-Nov-17 17:02:15

Ooh brilliant! How do I get the newsletter?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: