Talk

Advanced search

What colour tights with grey dresses please - other than black!

(18 Posts)
Millie1 Thu 25-Oct-12 11:07:21

Am contemplating two Boden knitted dresses, both grey. One a mid grey cable knit, the other slightly lighter grey with some detail around neck here - the colours are nicer IRL than in the photo. Obviously black tights okay with both but what other colours? Boots would be knee length dark brown (chunky)/knee length black or (could I?) tan ankle boots?

Thanks

dexter73 Thu 25-Oct-12 11:08:23

Burgundy, teal, navy would all go with a grey dress.

mignonette Thu 25-Oct-12 11:13:42

With black boots and a grey dress, Plum or Burgundy tights look good.
With the grey dress with neck detail, brown chunky boots with burnt orange tights or a similar shade to the neck detail. Ochre yellow woolly tights work with mid to dark greys and black boots. Red and grey look good with black boots or wear thick socks turned over the boot sock in a contrasting shade.
Pale-ish pink and grey go well together-keep all the tight textures woolly and chunky. Black boots with that. Pale blue and grey suit each other too. As does purple and darker grey with black boots.

With a plain grey dress, how about Fair Isle patterned tights? Or a two tone cable knit? With ankle boots keep tights colours plain though although Fair Isle ankle socks peeping out look good.

FireOverBabylon Thu 25-Oct-12 11:21:20

Burgundy, or chocolate brown for me.

I would go with the knee length brown boots of the three you've mentioned.

Millie1 Thu 25-Oct-12 11:47:01

Thanks - great ideas. Had wondered about burgundy or plum so they'll go on my shopping list if I keep either dress. The orange would look fab but not sure I'd be brave enough .... maybe! It's great not to e limited to black.

SephoraRosebud Thu 25-Oct-12 13:35:59

Teal or navy blue looks stunning with light grey

starfishmummy Thu 25-Oct-12 13:39:54

Almost any colour goes with grey - so depending on how brave you are/how good your legs are, just whatever you fancy!

thetigerwhocametoteax Thu 25-Oct-12 14:38:56

I got some lovely plum coloured cable detail tights from Tescos recently (£4 I think), I am wearing them with a grey dress and think they go nicely!

Millie1 Thu 25-Oct-12 16:36:20

Sounds lovely Tiger.

I was coming to ask where is best to look for coloured wool tights? We don't have a Tesco nearby so that's out. Marks don't have much that isn't grey or black - so far as I can see. Have had a quick look at HoF but again, loads of blacks. Would be so much easier in-store but no chance of getting to a 'proper' shop for quite a few weeks! So, to which websites do I go? grin

Naghoul Thu 25-Oct-12 16:39:02

last year I got mine in Dorothy Perkins.

Inneedofbrandy Thu 25-Oct-12 16:41:09

I still have wool tights from H&M from last year.

BikeRunSki Thu 25-Oct-12 16:45:06

Don't get any from M&S. I restocked this year, as as previously, they all went through at the toes on first wearing.

Muststudy Thu 25-Oct-12 16:47:02

Teal will look very elfish..........

Burgundy is always a big hit fOr me!

mignonette Thu 25-Oct-12 20:14:00

Keep your toe nails really short and good tights will last. My M&S thick wool tights from last year have just developed a hole. I always buy them at least a size up as then they won't be tight at the toe and pull against the nail/rub against the shoe tip.

Elle used to make fabulous striped woolly tights in shades of grey-I used to wear them under boots with black clothing for a flash of 'Camden'....
Wolfords - Not worth the £££
Fogal - Bit better.

Avoid Next Black and grey cable knit tights like the plague. Paid £7 for a pair last week and they separated at the waistband within fifteen minutes. Both pairs.

Millie1 Thu 25-Oct-12 20:53:35

Ouch Mignonette - I hope you took them back to Next ... and glad you mentioned this as I was going to check Next out for colours. Fogal - haven't heard of that brand but will go google now. Actually, may I ask you another question please. Plain grey dress and ankle boots - plain tights ... navy or black with the tan boots, what do you think? I'm wondering what navy might be like? Or by plain, do you mean plain as in lack of pattern in which case plum would still be an option?

Thanks!

I'm useless at this sort of stuff!! grin

mignonette Thu 25-Oct-12 21:47:45

Took them back today and got a very arsey response. Brand new and I obviously wasn't too big for them. Told the manager politely but firmly that I'd show them to every customer who browsed the hosiery area if she did not refund me.

I think plain tights with ankle boots because otherwise your legs can be 'chopped up' even more because of the different 'blocks' of colour- dress-tights-boots. I'd wear patterned tights with higher boots. I'd probably go for black tights because not sure that navy-tan-grey would look as good. Cream would work as long as it's a 'cool' cream rather than yellowy. Plum would be worth trying too.

Millie1 Thu 25-Oct-12 22:35:20

grin I like your response! Well done.

Thanks for that - shall try with black or maybe plum if I have the guts to do a dress and ankle boot combo!

mignonette Thu 25-Oct-12 23:02:04

I wear low cowboy styled ankle boots in pale tan and also high heeled ones with straps around the ankles- last winter's ACNE boots. They suit sharp smart outfits and slouchy teadresses, woolly tights, woolly knit combinations. Go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now