Talk

Advanced search

OMG the top advert bar

(34 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

GirlDownUnder Sat 10-Feb-18 15:13:23

Tis so fucking annoying. I know, adds is money is good business, and I even read a few.

But the top add that does not fuck off when you scroll down / up? which means losing half the screen, and to add insult for me it’s some duck faced smug arse selling shite I’ve no interest in, means I do not even read the op. Such is the duck face annoyance that I click away rather than read / comment.

Please make the top add bar fuck off when I start scrolling.

Please x

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sat 10-Feb-18 15:15:42

Agreed.

GirlDownUnder Sat 10-Feb-18 15:47:34

Ha! Remus thought I was being a mardy arse so thanks

But it really does wind me up, not that OPs are missing out from my rapier wit, but Please Do Fuck Off With The Advert MN.

Else I’ll ummmm, be annoyed. Cheers.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 10-Feb-18 17:33:02

Hi GirlDownUnder,

We'd love to help you here - sounds like you're mightily Fucked Off. (fair enough)

But first we need to know which device you're using, which version of the site and all that jazz.

We're a bit scared to ask for a screenshot given the mood you're in, but if you post one here, that would be a big help.

Who knows? It could be that the ad's not meant to stick around once you start scrolling. Or it could be that it IS meant to stick around. In which case, we'll at least be able to pass on your Fucked Offness. grin

GirlDownUnder Sat 10-Feb-18 22:20:11

Morning Dawn mardyness levels have gone down since a sleep so I am safe(ish) now grin

Also the ‘stuck’ add today isn’t the duck face pouty one that annoys so yay maybe.

I’m on an iPad mini, running iOS 11.2.5

Hope I’ve attached the screen shots for you.

Thanks.

LizzieMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Feb-18 15:01:53

Hi GirlDownUnder,

Thanks so much for coming back to us with the extra information.

We're sorry to hear that you dislike the fixed leaderboard - it shouldn't fill any more than 30% of your screen, so we're hoping this isn't happening at the moment?

It's actually a new format that we're testing - we really appreciate the feedback here and have made note.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 22-Feb-18 10:19:31

Psst, GirlDownUnder, a word in your shell-like...try logging in (think it disappears when you do...)

[secretsquirrel]

GirlDownUnder Thu 22-Feb-18 13:45:30

I am logged in - always! I mean sheesh how rude not to be.

I still had it today but as it was not an add that drove me to rage, I was v zen [prey icon] (not available yet)

I will report back soonest HQ.

Thanks for your efforts brew

PanPanPanPing Thu 22-Feb-18 15:14:41

Justine, I think you should have realised that GirlDownUnder was already logged it ... because her screenshots show that someone on that thread (presumably the OP) had a highlighted colour which would only show if one is logged in grin

PanPanPanPing Thu 22-Feb-18 15:16:18

... meaning that GDU was clearly already logged in when she took the screenshots!

Zelenka Thu 22-Feb-18 15:22:39

I thought this thread was going to be about the ads for the horrific multi-coloured shoes.

<slinks away>

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 22-Feb-18 15:38:22

PanPanPanPing

... meaning that GDU was clearly already logged in when she took the screenshots!

good point, well made - we're just checking it out (possibly an ipad issuette...)

PanPanPanPing Thu 22-Feb-18 15:51:41

But you were telling her to log in and then <secret squirrel> she might lose the top ad. I don't think it works that way!

Heliophilous Thu 22-Feb-18 15:58:12

30% of the screen is masses, though. That's nearly a third! Are you seriously suggesting that isn't annoying?

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 22-Feb-18 16:09:03

PanPanPanPing

But you were telling her to log in and then <secret squirrel> she might lose the top ad. I don't think it works that way!

We're testing a few different things on a few different boards - just want to check if it's working...

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 22-Feb-18 16:15:44

Heliophilous

30% of the screen is masses, though. That's nearly a third! Are you seriously suggesting that isn't annoying?

30% is very much a maximum - it's the cut off point suggested by coalition of good ads, so that's where we set the maximum bar. Only a very small number of users are likely to have that % though - it will only apply to those who are accessing mumsnet via desktop on very small screens... the average user will have a much lower % of the screens showing ads. Hope that makes sense...

Heliophilous Thu 22-Feb-18 16:51:58

Ah, OK. Yes, that makes sense. Thanks.

AwkwardSquad Sun 25-Feb-18 09:22:58

Hi Mumsnet Towers - I’ve previously posted about how intrusive I find the fixed leaderboard. Up to now I’ve resisted installing an ad blocker as I do appreciate that sites such as this need to bring in revenue, but it’s hacking me off so much I’ve now installed one. So at least I don’t have my viewing experience marred by having to constantly look at them, even if I’ve now got a floating blank space instead!

430West Mon 26-Feb-18 20:37:35

This has annoyed me so much I've installed an add blocker, but now instead of the add, I have the spinning 'loading' wheel there permanently and can't scroll past it.

The fact that it moves just makes that page completely unreadable.

Can't you offer us a paid for add free version of your site?

430West Mon 26-Feb-18 20:38:14

A floating blank space would be way better than the current situation!

pastabest Mon 26-Feb-18 20:45:06

I'm not one to complain about the ads as they largely pass me by and I rarely even notice them (advertisers worst nightmare)

But my word that bar that doesn't move at the top over the last few days VERY ANNOYING.

I've ended up with multiple random tabs open for random shite because I've been trying to scroll up/bookmark etc and the ad gets in the way.

Still couldn't tell you what any of them were actually trying to sell because they all got closed in annoyance.

chemenger Wed 28-Feb-18 08:52:10

I agree that this bar is annoying. I don’t want to see a picture of a poor injured kitten above some silly thread I’m reading and I’m also not going to donate to the charity, which is not local to me (I already volunteer for a cat charity where I live) so I end up just navigating away from the page.

FlissMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 28-Feb-18 10:16:18

Hi Again,

We're really sorry to hear how annoying these ads can be for you. As Justine has said, we are just trialing stuff at the mo to see what works best for everyone. It's a fine balance and we realise we don't always get it right straight away.

Thanks a lot for the feedback - do keep it coming and thanks also for bearing with us when the ads make you want to scream!

IvorHughJarrs Wed 28-Feb-18 10:19:56

I, too, have installed an ad blocker as it was driving me berserk

mathanxiety Fri 02-Mar-18 03:14:43

I am back to having the whirling page loading thing instead of an ad in the adbar. It had disappeared for a few weeks. There was a thread in Site Stuff about it.

You had a good deal of feedback about ads and the whirly thing back then.

Nobody liked either of them. It is not news to you that people are annoyed by the visual effects here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: