Talk

Advanced search

GCSEs 2018 (3)

(1000 Posts)
mmzz Sun 28-Jan-18 08:40:24

Following on from:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/3113917-GCSEs-2018-2

mmzz Sun 28-Jan-18 08:45:07

Just realised that old thread still has 100 posts to go....
Sorry for any confusion caused by creating this thread too early

TheDrsDocMartens Sun 28-Jan-18 08:54:24

Marking place for now. Mocks this week.

mmzz Mon 29-Jan-18 10:56:47

Good luck for the mocks, TheDrsDocMartens

mmzz Mon 29-Jan-18 11:10:28

I finally got DS working yesterday and the first thing he had to do was some maths homework. There was 5 hours worth of it (he'd had it for a week)! It was just practicing the same thing over and over again. The thing is DS is really good at maths, so he's no better at that skill now than he was on Saturday. Of all the things he could have spent his time doing yesterday - including going for a long walk or some actual revision - this was the least useful.

By the time he finished - 6pm - he had a headache and there was no point in trying to do something useful with the day.

There's no way though of getting the maths teachers agreement to exempt DS from excess homework for the sake of his other subjects though, is there?

mmzz Mon 29-Jan-18 11:11:33

aaargh wrong thread again!

CeeCeeMacFay Mon 29-Jan-18 14:53:57

My ds had mocks just after Xmas getting results back now.

mmzz Mon 29-Jan-18 15:07:41

Welcome, @CeeCeeMacFay

There's been a couple of threads already this year. I stupidly set this one up a bit early - 100 posts too early, to be exact!
Why not come over onto the current thread and join us? We'll get to this one when no. 2 thread is full, probably in a couple of days.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/3113917-GCSEs-2018-2

PS Hope the mock results go well.

CeeCeeMacFay Mon 29-Jan-18 20:40:29

Thanks, I will do. He is a very middle of the road student and finding the new GCSEs tough. So far he has got a 5 in maths, a C in history and 3s on both English papers which he was very disappointed with.

mmzz Mon 29-Jan-18 20:50:14

There's a poster (*looseattheseams*) on the other thread who I think it's an English tutor. She's got some really good tips on how to get English grades up.

CeeCeeMacFay Mon 29-Jan-18 21:02:18

Thanks! I will check out the other thread now.

TheSecondOfHerName Tue 30-Jan-18 19:26:57

DS2 went to the memorial service for his friend today. I can't stop thinking about that boy's poor parents.

androbbob Tue 30-Jan-18 19:27:29

Evening! English speaking done today. They had to write a speech and then present it to the class. She practised it last night on both my and her dad separately and she is a confident speaker and writer. Her topic was 'the crisis in the NHS'. She did great research and felt it went well. On target so far with revision sessions - both after school run sessions and independent learning at home. We are ticking them off on her weekly revision planner so she can see what she has achieved at end of week (or where need to do more at weekends ). Coping so far but there is talk of extra school sessions in half term! !

Stickerrocks Tue 30-Jan-18 19:53:25

Thesecond It's worst nightmare stuff, isn't it. Just give him a big hug.

BlueBelle123 Tue 30-Jan-18 20:24:04

Thesecond its things like that, that put everything into perspective hope you and your DS are OK.

BlueBelle123 Tue 30-Jan-18 20:27:29

androb glad your DD had a good day, it seems all the DC on this thread are revising English........wish DS would!! (although I have been taking a mental note of all the excellent advice just in case I catch DS with his English book outwink)

Stickerrocks Tue 30-Jan-18 20:34:29

DD still refuses to read her English Lit books from cover to cover, but she did go to Spanish after school tonight. She was annoyed because her teacher had asked her to come along for a few weeks for an intensive boost, but 3 or 4 other girls dropped in who are more naturally talented at languages then she us, so she didn't get the help with the basics she was hoping for. I've told her to grit her teeth & try again next week.

LooseAtTheSeams Tue 30-Jan-18 20:53:12

TheSecond that's so awful - the poor parents.
DS was almost asleep at school today - one of the teachers was worried about him. I think he just overdid it yesterday and needs a good night's sleep!

Sostenueto Tue 30-Jan-18 21:04:59

My Dgd did a speech on laughter for her English and got a distinction. All because she had time to think and do it and surprisingly she delivered it really well considering how she goes red and tongue tied if anyone talks to her!

EllenJanethickerknickers Tue 30-Jan-18 21:21:53

Wow, these threads move quickly. I didn't get around to posting for a few weeks and another thread has been filled!

DS3 has had his mock results. Fairly disappointing except for maths. A lot of his predictions have gone down a grade. He won't meet the offer for the super selective sixth form DS1 went to but has applied to a local good sixth form attached to a high performing comp and has his own school's sixth form as a back up.

Further maths may be a problem. Local good sixth form has 22 taking it this year in Y12 but his own school has only 3 in Y12. All the really bright mathematicians tend to leave. He's not guaranteed a place at local good school. (With his current predicted results at least)

He's just realising that lack of revision causes problems. Probably just as well he didn't do that well with minimal revision. Would have given him the wrong idea. But it has caused his options to become restricted.

I can't catch up on the 1000 posts I missed blush but I'll read back on this thread.

BlueBelle123 Tue 30-Jan-18 21:24:26

DS did his speech on antibiotics, I got a call home from the teacher as she wanted to let me know how informative and entertaining it was, apparently it was also amusing......not sure it was meant to beconfused

BlueBelle123 Tue 30-Jan-18 21:29:19

Ellen if his actual results are better than latest predicted's would he then be able to get into the super selective or would he of already missed the boat? there's no competition round here and certainly no selectives let alone super selectives, so I'm a bit clueless how it all works.

Teenmum60 Tue 30-Jan-18 21:41:24

TheSecond - hope your DS is OK - I cant imagine how the parents (extended family) come to terms with such a loss of a child at such an early age.

We had minor panic yesterday - DD's Biology teacher seemed to think that DD was about to be entered into exams under the wrong name (she uses my name at school - not the name on her BC). All resolved and Ok apparently the entries have to be signed off by DD.

DD at dads tonight because I'm working away from home - so no idea what revision will be done - but I'm back home tomorrow so hopefully she will get a little bit done then.

DD's English Lit seems to be different from everyone else's - even the DC doing IGCSE - She's studying - Of Mice and Men which I think Michael Gove got removed from the GCSE syllabus...

KingscoteStaff Tue 30-Jan-18 22:25:48

It's clearly an English evening - DS is busy analysing the 'Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow' scene from Macbeth. So far, his most insightful comment is that 'They probably didn't have mindfulness in those days'...

drummersmum Tue 30-Jan-18 22:52:22

kingscote grin
thesecond yes, when I think of anyone losing a child I come apart too sad

This thread is not accepting new messages.