Talk

Advanced search

Detentions

(49 Posts)
scrabble1 Mon 20-Nov-17 14:33:47

How many is average for year 7?

knockknockknock Mon 20-Nov-17 14:34:50

My son has had one and he’s in year 10 and that was down to his own stupidity.

I’d have thought everyone should be aiming for none.

nobutreally Mon 20-Nov-17 14:35:49

Depends on the school, surely?
Fwiw, dd has 4 so far (Year 7) - nearly all for homework she has done but left on her desk. She is also the highest house point earner in her house!

TheFrendo Mon 20-Nov-17 14:36:38

0?

What sort of school?
What sort of child?
What sort of reason?

Traalaa Mon 20-Nov-17 14:36:43

That depends on the school. There's an Academy near us that dishes them out for virtually anything. One of my son's friends got 30 in the first half term! My DS's comp is much more into using them as a last resort. I don't think he got any in year 7.

ReinettePompadour Mon 20-Nov-17 14:39:35

A good proportion of children get absolutely none. A small number will have 2 or 3 a week (clearly detention doesn't work for those students). A number of children will get 1 and never have another one because they learn their lesson quickly.

As year 7 is only 2 months in I'm assuming your dc has had quite a few over a very short space of time?

I know of several year 7's who have very complex issues in their lives and they do appear to receive at least 1 a week but more often than not another 1 or 2 per week on top. I would be concerned with that number myself and would want to know why theyre getting so many and what I can do as a parent to support the school in finding a way to sort it.

HeidioftheAlps Mon 20-Nov-17 15:10:42

It probably does depend on the school. They are given more easily in dd's comp than they were at my 80s grammar. Dd doesn't find the school to be unkind or harsh though, she likes the teachers. I suppose they are just trying to get the behaviour they want. We are required to check the homework planner and sign it which i do and i check she has done the homework, so she has avoided homework ones. She has been kept in at break when she forgot to get me to sign her planner, although they were just put in a room with the teacher getting on with stuff in her department nearby, it was a minor detention. (There are different levels.)
Dd's form tutor put a sort of league table of how many detentions they'd had on the screen in year 8. Dd mentioned that the boy who sat next to her had had 15 in half a term. She said he is a nice boy who behaves in lessons but is late a lot, possibly homework issues too.

HeidioftheAlps Mon 20-Nov-17 15:24:38

I reckon in dd's school if someone was getting lots of detentions they'd try and intervene to find out what the problem was and help them with whatever it was.

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 20-Nov-17 16:33:54

Whereas in one of our nearby schools, if someone WASN'T getting lots of detentions they'd probably think there was a problem. Since every child I know who goes there gets at least one a month!

It is not really something you can generalise about as schools use detentions in very different ways.

safariboot Mon 20-Nov-17 16:41:14

I'm sure I got in a few. If a child gets none, I'd suspect the school is being rather lax with discipline.

What they're for is more important.

WitchesHatRim Mon 20-Nov-17 16:44:58

If a child gets none, I'd suspect the school is being rather lax with discipline.

Sorry but that's rubbish.

Kazzyhoward Mon 20-Nov-17 16:56:44

Sorry but that's rubbish.

Absolutely. My son is in year 11 and has had zero detentions throughout his five secondary school years. When I was at school 40 years ago, I had zero detentions. They're entirely voluntary - behave and do your homework and you won't get any. They're certainly not "normal" for everyone.

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Mon 20-Nov-17 16:58:57

Boatloads in year 7 no excuses made for him he was a slight shitbag
1 in year 8
None in 9
None yet in year 10

Orangeplastic Tue 21-Nov-17 20:21:24

Ds - absolutely load in the first term of year 7 - things tailed off after that and he hasn't had any in subsequent years. Dd has never had a detention - I wish she would get one so she wouldn't worry about being so bloody perfect all the time!

rcit Tue 21-Nov-17 20:24:28

Depends. Some schools hand them out frequently and others don’t. Dp works in a school where detentions aren’t really given because the kids will not bother going and the parents will not enforce it!

I once sat in a detention with my entire class. Someone had done something and nobody would admit it. Wasn’t anything to do with me but I still got detention.

AChickenCalledKorma Wed 22-Nov-17 07:22:44

If it's a school that gives an automatic detention for stuff like forgetting a piece of homework, not having a pen or being two minutes late, I'd say it's pretty normal to get a handful of detentions in year 7. Because it takes kids a while to get organised and mistakes happen.

greystarling Wed 22-Nov-17 07:27:15

My son had one in year 7 for me not signing a form! That’s it’s though, he hasn’t had anymore. My daughter has a friend that gets 3-4 a week, every week. Daughter hasn’t had any
Both at ( different) state grammars

Ginorchoc Wed 22-Nov-17 07:34:47

My year 9 daughter has never had one. One of her friends is always close to the wind, I think they get so many points and then once they they reach a certain amount it results in a detention. My daughter has only ever received 1 point, unlike me at her age. I was on report so often I ended up just signing it on my parents behalf!

MustBeThursday Wed 22-Nov-17 07:37:25

School I used to work in dished out quite regularly - mostly to do with not doing class/homework but quite a few got detentions for not going to detention! The “regulars” had to be booked several weeks in advance as they had so many detentions.

I never got one individually all the way through school when I was at secondary, but had to sit in a number of break/lunchtime detentions as a whole class because a lot of my form group were quite naughty. We spent probably 3 of 5 years on whole class behaviour report. That said my old school didn’t really do after school detentions until they changed head teacher.

AuntieStella Wed 22-Nov-17 07:47:29

I don't think you can generalise.

My DC have had the odd homework detention (given for not handing homework in on time, and enforced 20 minute attendance at the supervised after-school homework session) and one lunchtime one (too many uniform infringements/forgotten equipment in one halfterm).

None for conduct or other major disciplinary issues (so far, touch wood)

illuminousopptomist Wed 22-Nov-17 07:53:53

My DS is getting quite a lot for forgetting homework. I don't agree with detentions in year 7 and have emailed the school to let them know we are not happy. DS is in top sets, has 1s for attitude to learning in all subjects is in the school orchestra and school drama production.

I just think 1.5 hrs detention is too harsh.

Eolian Wed 22-Nov-17 08:00:24

I'm a teacher with a dd in year 8 who's had no detentions. I couldn't really say what the average is though- it depends massively on the school (I've taught in quite a few). There are kids who have multiple detentions every week. I'd say that a kid who's good but not totally angelic would maybe get a couple a year, usually for forgetting homework.

Eolian Wed 22-Nov-17 08:03:06

illuminousopptomist why don't you agree with detentions? Surely a lot more kids would be forgetting or not bothering to do their homework without the threat of detention. Also, why should the fact that your son is in top sets and in the school orchestra exempt him from detentions for not handing in homework?!

roundaboutthetown Wed 22-Nov-17 08:46:54

illuminousopptomist - a 1.5 hour detention is indeed a lot. In most schools that length of time is reserved for children who didn't turn up for the shorter detention they were given. Were you not asked to sign to agree to abide by the school's behaviour policy when your child started at the school? Why does your ds keep forgetting his homework?

illuminousopptomist Wed 22-Nov-17 09:23:48

Eolian because I was setting the scene that my DS is a hardworking and enthusiastic member of school and I am worried these detentions will break his spirit at 11 years old. It is an automatic 1.5 hr detention for forgotten homework. He had a school trip and was supposed to email teachers for any homework and forgot or just wasn't capable of this level of organisation and the other ones were for the some Orthodontist appointments and not asking other students for homework details. I just don't think my son is capable of remembering everything at this age.

I think detentions should be set as a last resort and tbh for behavioural disruptive behaviour. This new discipline regime is not very respectful to students who are keen and want to learn it causes great anxiety to some students especially when they are trying their best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now