Advanced search

Blown plaster

(6 Posts)
buffykins192 Sun 23-Nov-14 15:12:32

Can someone please advise me as to what I need to do to decorate a wall where the plaster has blown. I have recently bought an old property and have spent a fortune bringing it somewhere up to scratch but have now run out of money. I can't afford to bring a plasterer in. I've had lots of confusing recommendations as to how to decorate this wall but am now totally confused. Some say line it and then paint it, others have said just wallpaper it and hope for the best and others have said just paint it.

Can someone please tell me the correct way.

Many thanks.

LuluJakey1 Sun 23-Nov-14 15:19:35

Blon plaster means damp. You need to treat the damp or however you decorate the damp will just destroy it and come through

LuluJakey1 Sun 23-Nov-14 15:20:11

Blown, not blon!

2plus1 Sun 23-Nov-14 16:26:14

If it is an old property with lath and plaster walls then a blown section may mean taking down the old plaster, boarding and re plastering. Sadly had to do this recently on top of the extension works we were doing. There was no way round repairing ours. Fortunately the lath and plaster on the other side of the wall has remained intact! Our cost about £130 to do with a labourer and plasterer.

PigletJohn Sun 23-Nov-14 16:42:36

blown plaster means loose, not damp.

You have to pull off or hack off all the loose stuff, otherwise it will stay loose, will crack any filler you use, and eventually fall off.

If you are fond of plastering and the pieces are not very big you can patch them yourself. Otherwise your local plasterer will probably do one wall for about £150, which I think is good value.

Skimming over blown plaster is money down the drain. Pull it off.

Shaska Sun 23-Nov-14 21:19:47

We repaired a fair amount of chipped plaster walls - was intended to be 'temporary' but by the end DH had become such a master with filler that we've left them.

Use a scraper to get rid of anything that's falling off. Filler in the gaps, sand (and re-fill and re-sand if needed) and paint or paper. If you have equal or more gap than not-gap then you might need to get it skimmed in order to get a decent finish I think.

Oh, and pay extra extra attention to any walls that will have heat on them - ie near the sink/stove and behind any radiators. Learned that the hard way.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: