Talk

Advanced search

scaffolding

(8 Posts)
seasidesister Sat 13-Aug-11 19:38:27

Anyone have any idea how much is a reasonable amount to charge?

We are getting exterior of our bog standard 3 bed det painted and scaffolder has quoted £750 to do front and over garage at side.

Does this sound about right? we are in surrey.

Thanks

DaisySteiner Sat 13-Aug-11 19:39:54

Does it really need scaffolding?! We had our entire house painted last year including massive gable wall. No scaffolding was required.

seasidesister Sat 13-Aug-11 19:55:05

Painter says yes for health and safety because the garage has a flimsy roof.

He can do side and front using ladders but the other side over the garage needs an "up and over" scaffolding to reach it.

Barbeasty Sun 14-Aug-11 22:31:34

We paid around £400 to have scaffolding across the back of our house when we had the windows painted a couple of months ago. That was booked for 2 weeks but we wouldn't have paid more unless it went over 1 month.

That was to reach the 1st floor, just for the 1 window over the conservatory roof.

We're in Gloucestershire, so not south east prices.

Pendeen Mon 15-Aug-11 10:04:54

Your decorator is about right with his estimate - don't know where you are but thats what I would expect for here (the West Country).

Providing towere or scaffolding over fragile or hazardous areas is far more difficult that simple facade access; is time-consuming and expensive. To comply with current safety rules (Work at Height Regulations) - and probably his insurance company requirements - he must ensure safe working conditions.

To be honest, I am rather surprised he is considering using ladders for any high level work. Most contractors I know days will insist on towers or scaffolding for any high level work lasting more than a couple of hours.

Pendeen Mon 15-Aug-11 10:14:32

sorry - missed you were in Surrey.

ChitChattingaway Mon 15-Aug-11 18:28:10

Why are YOU getting quotes for scaffold? Your painter should be getting quotes/have someone he uses often. As a frequent user of scaffold any quote he gets would/should be lower than anything you can get.

seasidesister Mon 15-Aug-11 19:28:07

Thanks Pendeen and Barbeastie, that is helpful. Of course, I want him to be safe while he is doing the work so if it sounds like a reasonable amount to pay Im happy to do so.

Chitchat, my painter got the quote, I was just checking it was a fair one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now