Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Being a chatter box a sign of ASD/ADHD?

(24 Posts)
irvine101 Sat 09-Jan-16 20:41:22

I have a suspicion that my ds has ASD/ADHD, but never been diagnosed.
He can't stop talking. He need to say what's in his mind. He restrains it at school, since he learned even his best friend isn't sometimes interested in something he is obsessed about.
I asked teacher if he is disturbing class, but apparently not. He is well behaved at school. But it seems to be getting worse at home. He follows after me every minute and talks about his obsession. Non stop.Making me bonkers. What can I do? Is he normal? He is 8.

teaandporridge Sat 09-Jan-16 21:17:20

Watching with interest! I have a chatter box at home too and it's relentless! Except the talking in class is a problem and has been picked up by ever teacher over the years, he's nearly 11 now but no mention of adhd ect

Ambroxide Sat 09-Jan-16 21:36:53

DD is a chatterbox but has absolutely no signs of ADHD or ASD. She literally never stops talking. I am constantly having to say 'Please don't tell me anything else about Harry Potter/Strictly Come Dancing/X-Factor/Ruby Redfort'. She is 9. She also manages to restrain it in class.

SleepIsForTheWeakAnyway Sat 09-Jan-16 21:42:50

I have 2 ds's with asd and the younger one also has an adhd diagnosis. The older one is pretty silent. He only talks when he has something he wants to share. The younger one never. Shuts. Up. Since he was a toddler he would fall asleep mid sentence as he recounted word for word his favourite Thomas episode or commercials that he'd taken a liking to. So it's part of his asd/adhd.

But I also have a NT dd who is a prolific chatterbox. She even talks in her sleep!

MrsKCastle Sat 09-Jan-16 21:45:20

My DD2 is a little chatterbox as well. She just doesn't stop. I sometimes think she shows signs of hyperactivity as well as she's constantly on the go physically, but she doesn't have any problems with concentration or attention.
If it's not causing problems at school then I wouldn't worry too much. Can he focus without being distracted, and complete tasks like homework?

Basketofchocolate Sat 09-Jan-16 21:54:08

If you look up introverts vs. extroverts, could it be that your DS is just an extrovert? Many extroverted kids don't shut up as they don't know the social norms of doing so once in a while :D

However, many extroverts are easily spotted by there tendency to 'narrate' due to thinking by talking. Basically they process thoughts through talking/speaking them out. Whereas, introverts tend to keep everything inside until it's worked out and they think there is anything worth sharing.

Gliblet Sat 09-Jan-16 22:03:11

DS is 3 (nearly 4) and has had an observation session with an Educational Psychologist whose report suggested that he might have ADHD but is more likely to have ASD of some description.

He's lovely - bright, affectionate, playful, sweet - but he is definitely stuck on 'transmit' grin He talks from the moment he wakes up to the moment he goes to bed with, apparently, an ability to button it for 'carpet time' at nursery and occasional pauses to watch Paw Patrol (although if he plays the game he talks through that as well).

Just to be clear, what DS has isn't a diagnosis, just a sort of hunch based on the Ed Psych observing his behaviour and talking to DH & DS's teachers.

Coldtoeswarmheart Sat 09-Jan-16 22:09:43

DS is either asleep or talking. DH and I are both introverts, so this can get a bit wearing. DS is the kindred spirit of his aunty, another extrovert. He does well at school and there's never been any hint of any SN. He does seem able to rein it in at school to an acceptable degree.

Outdoors has always been our friend as the talking seems quieter there, bless him.

Gliblet Sat 09-Jan-16 22:18:01

Coldtoes that sounds familiar grin I'm hoping that, in the absence of a mute button, DS turns out just to be a hugely extroverted little humbug.

irvine101 Sat 09-Jan-16 22:18:55

Thank you for your replies.
I don't think he is extrovert, he is quite shy with strangers, and he used to be selective mute as well.(In nursery, he only spoke to adults.)
He can super concentrate when he is interested in something, but I also heard on MN it could be form of ADHD, called hyper focus.
Problem is, he is acting ok at school, and explode at home. He seems normal outside, so can't get referred or anything now.
Good to know other children are like him. Guess I just have to tolerate it, and see how it goes. Thank you again.

Ambroxide Sat 09-Jan-16 22:27:19

DD also quite shy with strangers, but she is definitely an extrovert. Talking and interacting with other people leaves her energised and happy. I am an introvert and talking and interacting with other people leaves me drained and with my head feeling like it has been filled up with cotton wool until I have had an acceptable period of alone time in which to recover.

She does great at school - at primary there is tons of working in groups which suits her down to the ground. I would have LOATHED it at her age. I used to cry if I had to talk to someone unexpectedly as a child whereas she positively welcomes it and launches off into all kinds of conversational nonsense. I'm thinking she could probably do all my social interactions for me and make a better job of it than I do as an adult.

Coldtoeswarmheart Sat 09-Jan-16 22:35:29

Gliblet, this is why we have National Trust membership - seriously, outdoors is the only way!!

sugar21 Sat 09-Jan-16 22:55:30

I'm 34 and cannot stop talking, always been the same I talk to myself and in my sleep. Forever in trouble at school for chattering and arguing with my teachers.
DM used to say she was glad I wasn't in her class at school because I'd drive her mad.
I never had a diagnosis for anything as a small child but my House Mistress used to say I'm extrovert, and I engage mouth before brain. That's pretty much a good description as I'm still a chatterbox often talking about silly things.
I once ( awful brag here) posedfor some pics and the guy taking them had to tell me to close my mouth as he couldn't use pics of someone chatting.
So I think your ds is probably extrovert.

mrz Sun 10-Jan-16 06:49:34

My son has ADHD as comorbidity of ASD. I wouldn't describe him as a a chatterbox but he doesn't read social cues so will continue talking about things that interest him long after everyone has glazed over from boredom.

Fairylea Sun 10-Jan-16 07:04:47

I have a son with asd. Talking non stop isn't necessarily a sign of asd or adhd. It's more to do with doing it in relation to missing social cues. So far example if they are talking non stop about a particular interest and not realise everyone else is bored senseless then that would possibly be a sign.

However the symptoms of asd are far more complex than that - I'd go to the national autistic society website and have a read of the various sections and see if anything else applies.

It's very common for a child with asd to "mask" at school and seem normal and behave differently at home.

They can no longer rule out asd because of good eye contact or good speech, the clinical guidelines have changed. They look more at interaction and emotional awareness together with sensory issues.

mrz Sun 10-Jan-16 07:16:19

Agree... My son was a very early talker and eye contact isn't a real issue

irvine101 Sun 10-Jan-16 08:59:05

Thank you everyone.
He used have no understanding of social cues, he has leaned it hard way since nursery, and now it seems to be bit better on that at school.
I asked him if he talks about things he liked to his friends, he said they aren't interested, so he doesn't. If I ask him to stop talking for second so I can concentrate on something, he says "Can I just say one thing?" and goes on forever. I can really feel he is trying hard at school to fit in, then need to compensate at home.
I have read lots of info about ASD/ADHD. I have doubt, but I really don't know what steps to take from here. I have casually talked to GP about my concern, but they say nothing to worry about. Teachers say that too. But, they haven't seen him at home. confused
He had no problem with eye contact when he was younger, but had massive problem with sensory issues and routine, which has mostly disappeared now, except for few things.

Ditsy4 Mon 11-Jan-16 00:11:47

If he had ADHD the teacher would know, believe me . Perhaps he just feels comfortable with his mum and likes talking to her! You need to reinforce the no talking rule if you need him to stop. Get a timer and set it.

mrz Mon 11-Jan-16 19:27:41

IMHE a teacher (a whole school full of teachers in fact) may not realise a child is ADHD because the "label" covers a huge range of behaviours/difficulties so no two children are the same. The teacher will recognise there is a "problem" but not necessarily know the cause.

My son was finally diagnosed aged 12!

irvine101 Mon 11-Jan-16 20:20:46

Thank you, mrz and Ditsy4. I think I just keep an eye on it for moment. At least he isn't suffering from it.( Only me!) And if I have a chance, I will ask DR about it again next time.

irvine101 Mon 11-Jan-16 20:26:08

So, mrz, if the teacher says there's no problem, do you think they mean it? or, discounting little things?

PollyPurple Mon 11-Jan-16 21:47:52

Ds is 9 and never stops talking. It sounds awful to say but it does become wearing, I often have to switch off from him but he doesn't realise, he just carries on regardless. He was a very early talker and every teacher has commented that he likes to talk. He is well behaved in school though, although I'm really not sure where he fits socially. Sometimes he walks passed other kids in the morning and says 'Hello' (dc name) and other kids give him a quizzical look. Other times he talks to other dc in a way which makes him appear more mature, in an almost mechanical way, he might just be more mature as he is one of the older kids in his class but with some of the dc he approaches it seems they give him a 'look' as if to say 'why are you saying hello' yet with other dc they seem to genuinely like his interaction. This could be me reading to much into facial expressions. He's definitely quirky, he's almost definitely an extrovert and we have had to teach him more about the social side of school rather than the attainment, for which he's apparently doing very well.

I do sometimes think he's a little different to other dc but again, that could be me just being to focused on his behaviour, feel awful thinking that way tbh.

So, sorry OP, I have a chatterbox too and can't give any advice, only that I know how it feels.

On the other hand, Ds can be incredibly funny and he's very good on stage, so I may have a futures entertainer on my hands.

irvine101 Mon 11-Jan-16 22:03:11

Thank you, Polly. Your ds sound just like mine! I sometimes try to pretend I'm listening too, but most of the time he realises I wasn't listening and it gets even worse. He is very quirky, but seems to be getting on ok with friends at school somehow. I just have to figure out coping mechanism, I think.

PollyPurple Mon 11-Jan-16 22:51:05

Irvine, it's good your Ds is doing ok socially, I often worry about Ds but it's probably unfounded, time will tell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now