Talk

Advanced search

Period - Please, let's help!

(33 Posts)
annhar79 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:32:58

Hi All,

Today, I heard about a 13yr old girl who ended up in hospital because she used socks for her period - she couldn't afford sanitary products. This is not acceptable in the UK, but it's happening and it's happening in 2017.

Please can you sign this petition to eradicate period poverty from schools. Sanitary provision is NOT a luxury, and periods are not a choice.

It's just totally, totally wrong!!!

This petition to provide free sanitary products to girls from low income families was started by a 17yr old girl.

www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp-free-sanitary-products-for-girls-on-free-school-meals-freeperiods

We should support her will to help other schoolgirls! It only takes 15 seconds to sign, I know because I just did it. Please share so we can change this appalling situation.

myoriginal3 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:37:00

I can't figure out how to sign?

annhar79 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:41:08

Oh, let me check...

annhar79 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:41:47

www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp-free-sanitary-products-for-girls-on-free-school-meals-freeperiods

trying again. does this work?

annhar79 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:56:30

@myoriginal3, did you manage to sign?

offblackeggshell Tue 11-Apr-17 16:59:03

Your link works perfectly!

annhar79 Tue 11-Apr-17 17:02:59

Good, I thought I was going mad : )

MichaelJacksonsGlove Tue 11-Apr-17 17:04:52

Signed. I'm behind this wholeheartedly. I knew several girls at school (and even at uni) who were in 'period poverty'. Protection should be heavily subsidised by the government for everyone anyway. It should be freely available in all public loos just like loo roll and paper towels.

annhar79 Tue 11-Apr-17 17:13:55

Absolutely. I was reading about this today and I have to say, I actually felt sick.

@MichaelJacksonGlove - did your friends get any help?

I can't believe that nothing has been done for these girls yet.

BetsyM00 Tue 11-Apr-17 18:06:42

Signed, and tweeted too.

glenthebattleostrich Tue 11-Apr-17 18:08:51

Signed and tweeted.

I'm wondering if it's worth getting in touch with the charity to see if we can send donations of sanpro or money to buy some.

annhar79 Tue 11-Apr-17 18:21:53

Excellent. I will look into this for sure. Great suggestion.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Tue 11-Apr-17 20:23:03

Signed and shared.

annhar79 Tue 11-Apr-17 20:28:11

Fantastic! Thanks so much!

SailAwayWithMeHoney Tue 11-Apr-17 20:32:09

Signed and shared.

I am wondering if there is a way to donate sanpro somehow too.

annhar79 Tue 11-Apr-17 20:37:13

I'm looking into it SailAwayWithMeHoney (great name btw!).
At the moment, I'm thinking food banks might be the best bet, but I'll come back to you once I've found out.
Thanks for signing and sharing!

WelshMoth Tue 11-Apr-17 21:30:20

Signed.

I'm a teacher in an inner-city comp. our area is particularly poor. I keep a box of sanitary products in my room and many girls come to me if caught short. I tell them all to quietly spread the word and I always ask them whether they've taken enough.

I've yet to be approached by a pupil who desperately needs a full supply, but I'd never turn her away even if it meant funding it myself.

I'm going to ask my school to set up an unlimited supply. Given the demographic, it's a guarantee that we have a child who has to go without.

PhoenixJasmine Tue 11-Apr-17 21:38:54

Signed. Thanks for sharing. It's shameful isn't it.

awishes Tue 11-Apr-17 21:43:07

I worked in a secondary school and we were regularly given towels by the school nurse.
You would think the big companies would donate for some good publicity

Semaphorically Tue 11-Apr-17 21:47:54

Signed. It's so sad that this is happening. sad

There is a charity that I've supported in the past called AfriPad that addresses a similar issue in Africa. Perhaps there is some way to bring them and suitable UK charities together to help solve the problem?

WelshMoth Tue 11-Apr-17 21:56:34

You would think the big companies would donate for some good publicity

I'm going to write to some to ask them to make a donation to my school. It's a start, albeit a tiny one sad

glenthebattleostrich Tue 11-Apr-17 22:05:52

Welsh, i always have loads of regular sized tampons I'd be happy to post if they are any use. I get a load delivered each month, use the extra large ones but never need the smaller ones as I'm like a tap (tmi!!)

NeverTooMuchCake Tue 11-Apr-17 22:06:25

This is a very worthy petition started by a teenage girl.

Signed and shared with all friends, family and colleagues.

Let's get more signatures to get this dreadful situation changed.

PunkrockerGirl Tue 11-Apr-17 22:07:14

Signed
Feel very sad that I had to so sad

NeverTooMuchCake Tue 11-Apr-17 22:11:41

Also really like your suggestion of calling up the big companies.
I'm going to send them this petition and ask them to donate! Good thinking!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: