Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

What are your unexpected joys of parenthood?

(122 Posts)
milkyman Thu 22-Jan-15 20:57:51

Today I skipped and sang down Sainsbury's aisles with my 2yr ds. Life doesn't really get any better.smile

Boysclothes Thu 22-Jan-15 21:01:53

Hearing myself reflected back. "Did you have a lovely dream?" he asks me every morning, as I ask him! I love it.

MondayNext Thu 22-Jan-15 21:03:02

Weaning - i was so stressed at the thought of it, but it was brilliant! How often do you get to watch someone eat something for the first time?

Penguito Thu 22-Jan-15 21:05:12

Just the way his little hand fits perfectly in mine!

Chopsypie Thu 22-Jan-15 21:07:48

Playing ' we're going on a bear hunt' in the park. Running around and being silly!

SoHHKB Thu 22-Jan-15 21:09:53

The unexpected joy of watching dd bond with her unexpected little brother... Almost makes me want another one... almost...

SASASI Fri 23-Jan-15 22:41:30

The smiles & giggled I get when DS (5 months) wakes in the morning.

He melts my heart & I thank my lucky stars every day for him.

JoyceDivision Fri 23-Jan-15 22:42:37

listening to madness in the car.

ds (6) says 'I want Bag Of Trousers on!'

grin

TheSpottedZebra Fri 23-Jan-15 22:42:39

Lego.

melonribena Fri 23-Jan-15 22:44:11

Yes to a little hand searching outfor yours

The most amazing cuddles!

How ds makes me laugh everyday!

BubbleLight Fri 23-Jan-15 22:48:43

The thump of little legs running through to me every morning...or night!

Lottiedoubtie Fri 23-Jan-15 22:50:02

Listening to DH talking to baby DS, melts me!

And when DS laughs so much he looks like he might explode with happiness.

AnyFucker Fri 23-Jan-15 22:52:23

getting a lift to the pub

christ, it's been a long time coming....

Azquilith Fri 23-Jan-15 22:52:25

The joy in his face when I pick him up from childcare rather than Daddy. (Poor Daddy.)

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 23-Jan-15 22:52:34

Watching them sleep.
However fast they grow up nowadays,sleep still reveals their innocence.

Allstoppedup Fri 23-Jan-15 22:55:36

When DS runs over to me full pelt for a (usually) jaw shattering, breathtaking cuddle.

It's quite often hurts but his enthusiasm to show his love for me makes me swell with happiness.

When he puts his hand up to lead me where he wants to go.

When he brings me my sling because he wants to go in it. grin

I never thought it would be this awesome every day. As someone who suffered badly from depression before I had him, it means a lot to say he makes waking up every morning so, so worth it.

Redling Fri 23-Jan-15 23:50:51

When I lie on the floor next to 5 month DS and whisper in his ear and he turns his head and looks at me in pure delight and laughs. Also when I kiss him on the mouth he closes his eyes and does a big wide gummy smile.

CurlyhairedAssassin Fri 23-Jan-15 23:55:39

The utter humour. Mainly from their bizarre questions and conversations.

DuelingFanjo Sat 24-Jan-15 00:09:01

Paine is, when you ask them to do something for the first time and they actually do it.

Like in sainsbury when I said to my then almost four year old 'just go and sit on the bench with your comic while I pay' and he did!

I felt almost like a grown up,

Also when he says stuff like 'we are all sitting together, like a real family, aren't we mummy.

BertieBotts Sat 24-Jan-15 00:21:05

Oh I need this thread smile

I love seeing tiny clothes on the washing line.

TheFirstOfHerName Sat 24-Jan-15 00:23:09

When one of my children demonstrates kindness, compassion, altruism, a sense of social justice. It makes me feel all gooey inside, and I'm not the sentimental sort.

sydenhamhiller Sat 24-Jan-15 00:24:56

Anytime one of my 3 are nice to each other ... It makes me feel like the other 98% of the time screeching and bickering with each other can be endured.
And a couple of weeks ago we were talking about our favourite bits of London.
DC3 (2 yrs) said 'my favourite London with you Mummy'. I suddenly had something in my eye...

Waitingonasunnyday Sat 24-Jan-15 00:26:32

Oh I am looking forward to the lift to the pub. I like getting emails from my DC, it's like WOW they are actual people now!

Canyouforgiveher Sat 24-Jan-15 00:29:13

I just love the description of weaning by Monday.

Mine are older - teens. When I have my 2 girls in the car with me, they often start singing along to the radio or singing together. I feel so happy listening to them.

BitchyTakesOnManagement Sat 24-Jan-15 02:06:41

watching random stuff at 2am because ds can't sleep/has decided to get up for the day, but being able to leave him to sleep afterwards so that I can sleep a little bit. Love the random chat and games that happen at this time of night too. But so grateful for the sleep blush

Qualifier: ds has a sleep disorder, and used to require you to be up with him all hours but is now old enough to just curl up with a film/book and look after himself.

Getting breakfast in bed just because ds is feeling generous. Even just a coffee is lovely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: