Talk

Advanced search

Webchat with Jeremy Corbyn, leader of the Labour Party, Tuesday 30 May at midday

(923 Posts)
BojanaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 26-May-17 15:38:29

Hello,

We’re pleased to announce a webchat with the leader of the Labour Party Jeremy Corbyn on Tuesday 30 May at midday.

Jeremy has been MP for Islington North since 1983, and has been Labour leader since 2015, having been re-elected when Owen Smith stood against him in 2016. Labour’s manifesto for the election on June 8 proposes ‘a Brexit deal that puts our economy and living standards first’, tax rises for the top 5% of earners, the renationalisation of the railways, free school meals for all primary pupils, the abolition of university tuition fees, and a £250 billion investment fund for infrastructure and the economy.

Please do join the chat on Tuesday at midday, or if you can’t make it, leave a question here in advance. Please do share the webchat on social - the more, the merrier!

As always, please remember our webchat guidelines - one question each, follow-ups if there’s time and please keep it civil <body-slams everyone>.

(As we approach the General Election we will endeavour to offer you a balanced diet of webchats with politicians from different parties. More announcements coming soon.)

Thanks
MNHQ

BaggyCheeks Tue 30-May-17 12:25:41

Hello Jeremy,

As a Labour party supporter living in an area which had a surge of SNP support in the previous election, what would your position on the SNP pursuing a second IndyRef be?

Would a Labour government be supportive of a move to PR from FPTP as a move to help ensure voters feel that every vote truly does count?

Thanks.

areeba Tue 30-May-17 12:25:45

Hi Jeremy,

I am sorry that people attack you for being soft on security. It is not fair. I have been sharing the art installation "Not a bug splat" to show people the real cost of drone strikes. Please use that viral image to your advantage.

I also feel Labour should clarify to electorate that although terrorists are against our values, foreign policy gives them the key to prey on vulnerable and angry young Muslim boys who have an identity crisis. I haven't read or heard this clarification by Labour.

Thirdly, I think the Prevent agenda is good in theory but it needs to be led by Muslims in an appropriate non discriminatory manner for it to be effective. As a Muslim mother, I want to be reassured that my child won't be seen as an outsider but equally I want reassurance that him feeling out place won't be taken advantage of by terror groups. So this affects us all but more especially so, the Muslim mum's.

Finally, I hope you bring in legislation to control exorbitant rates charged by nurseries for child care. I can understand that it's not possible to find nurseries for very young children, but there should be regulation to ensure child care costs are not unfair.

Thankyou and good luck!

mangomay Tue 30-May-17 12:25:59

In light of your most recent announcement about 30 hours 'free' Childcare for all 2-4 year olds, I'd like to change my question!
Do you plan to increase the funding Early Years settings are paid for each child in their care? 30 hours universal Childcare is unsustainable at current funding levels.

chocoblock Tue 30-May-17 12:26:43

JC4PM

stayathomegardener Tue 30-May-17 12:26:52

Do you think the Tories are deliberately trying to lose this election potentially dumping the Brexit negotiations on yourself?

Ontheceiling Tue 30-May-17 12:27:06

Hi Jeremy
I've been a member of the Labour Party for 40 years. How can we build on the momentum that has been gathering in your favour?

Puzzledandpissedoff Tue 30-May-17 12:27:25

I'm still betting that you won't address the antisemitism question

Put a tenner on for me too wink

areeba Tue 30-May-17 12:27:51

I meant that although terrorists are against our values and that is why they attack us, foreign policy damage in the middle east is how they recruit.

Ive added the edit because it is so easy for the media to misconstrue what we say.

yellowbrickroad Tue 30-May-17 12:28:03

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for coming on MN. I was going to vote Lib Dem up until a few weeks ago when I was out with a friend discussing why I didn't care for you as Labour leader. He correctly asked me to substantiate the root of my bias, which I couldn't with any real clarity.

I realised that it was media perpetuated and therefore began my own independent research and have now already sent in my postal vote for Labour.

This media bias is a very powerful thing and I strongly believe that you becoming our next PM is vital for this country. Is it something you're concerned may keep you from Number 10?

Thanks.

Cheguevarahamster Tue 30-May-17 12:28:17

Thanks for answering my question Jeremy!

LadyGlitterSparklesSeriously Tue 30-May-17 12:28:23

What is your opinion on the role of stay-at-home mothers in society, is it something you personally see as valuable? Do you think there should be less pressure for mothers and single mothers in particular to find work during the early years of a child's development?

MoominFlaps Tue 30-May-17 12:28:27

The median salary in London is £30k. £80k is wealthy compared to the average Londoner.

Agreed. We are on 80k in London and we are perfectly comfortable. Yes ok we don't have a house with a garden, we have a flat. But that's fine - we chose that when we chose to live here.

I really struggle to see you could be badly off on 80k, even in London, unless you are living outside your means.

JeremyCorbyn Tue 30-May-17 12:28:59

GlassOfPort

Hello,
I was quite hopeful when you were first elected leader of the Labour party, but was hugely disappointed by your lukewarm support to the Remain campaign.

The only reason I will probably vote Labour is that my MP defied your three line whip and voted against article 50 (like the vast majority of her constituents).

My question is this:
Why is Labour now opposed to Freedom of Movement? All the stats show that European immigrants pay more in taxes than they cost when they access public services. I really don't understand your stance.

When we leave the EU, the principle of freedom of movement ends but I would say that our priority is first of all to ensure that all EU nationals living in the UK have a permanent right to remain and I want the same for other British living anywhere in Europe. I also want to make it clear that without people who've migrated to this country from outside Europe and within Europe, our healthcare, education and transport systems would be in a more parlous state than they are.

There will be managed migration in the future, based on economic and skill needs as well as rights to family reunion. And we will not allow unscrupulous employers to do what some are doing now which is importing groups of workers from Eastern Europe and exploiting them for minimal wages as well as undermining the existing working conditions in this country.

Much of our industry, universities and services rely on trade, contact, supply, and investment with the EU and I am determined to negotiate a tariff-free trade deal with the single market.

gluteustothemaximus Tue 30-May-17 12:29:26

Just wanted to say good luck for June 8th!

It's been wonderful to feel hope; for the first time in a long time.

Me and DH are voting Labour!

Bluntness100 Tue 30-May-17 12:29:33

My issue with the tax proposals is it seems more money down a black hole. Instead of fixing the much reported waste problem, you are asking for simply more money from those of us who already pay a high net amount monthly,

Overly costly procurement contracts, too many layers of beuraucracy, staffing layers that are not required, too much wasted money. How will you cut the waste and ensure money is spent correctly please?

JiminnyCricket Tue 30-May-17 12:29:53

Hi Jeremy,

I'm a humanist and a floating voter.

As you may be aware, humanist weddings are currently not legally binding in England despite being so in Scotland and Wales. Humanists have been pushing this legislation against the Tories for years to no avail.

Will your government readdress the question of legalising humanist ceremonies across the UK?

Roastbeefandyorkshires Tue 30-May-17 12:30:03

Hi Jeremy

How do you propose to increase and retain GPs within the NHS?

Btw you have my vote June 8thsmile

TheCopyist Tue 30-May-17 12:30:08

I don't expect an answer but...
You've said that referring to Hamas and Hezbollah as 'friends' was just use of inclusive language. Do you claim the same for saying, at the same event that these same people, people who target civilians and brutalise their own people, are 'dedicated to peace and social justice'

MerryMarigold Tue 30-May-17 12:30:14

We live off a lot less than 80k. I don't even have to work. We're on give, not central London but commutable in an hour.

MerryMarigold Tue 30-May-17 12:30:15

We live off a lot less than 80k. I don't even have to work. We're on give, not central London but commutable in an hour.

JeremyCorbyn Tue 30-May-17 12:30:26

Holidaytime17

I am voting for you. Many people that have never voted before have signed up to vote because of you.

Thanks very much - the campaign is enjoyable and inspiring. I love the innovative art on the campaign trail, including chocolates and cakes!

I'm proud of our manifesto: for the many, not the few.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 30-May-17 12:30:31

Hi Jeremy.
If you're hopefully elected are you going to reverse the cruel and detested Bedroom Tax

JeremyCorbyn Tue 30-May-17 12:30:56

HoneyDragon

As a British manufacturer who already pays a proper living wage as their employees starting wage regardless of experience or age, because we believe this to be the correct thing to do; and as a result of Brexit, will have to also contend with changes in export and import duties as well.... how do expect us to continue to grow, develop and create further employment with your insistence on a £10.00 ph minimum wage and increase in corporation tax? The big boys will still continue as they are and we will suffer, is that correct?

Thanks HoneyDragon. We are determined to achieve tariff free access to the Single Market and I am really pleased that your company pays the living wage and therefore you will understand my determination that we move from being a low wage economy to a high wage economy, which will spur economic growth.

The corporation tax we are proposing will be rising to 26% which is lower than it was in 2010.

Labour will also provide support to small businesses who may genuinely strugggle with the increase in the living wage in the short term. In terms of the impacts on teaching assistants and teaching budgets (as someone else asked), we will be putting in £4bn in the education budget to protect jobs and services.

JeremyCorbyn Tue 30-May-17 12:31:01

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed

Hello Jeremy,

If Labour lose seats in the election (and end up with fewer seats) will you step down straight away. Yes or no answer please not babble about the party membership

Thank you

Proud to lead our party.

Valentine2 Tue 30-May-17 12:31:12

I think child care policies of Labour Party are very good. Please keep them there essentially.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »