Talk

Advanced search

What can a cleaner do in 2-3 hours a week ?

(10 Posts)
didireallysaythat Wed 10-Dec-14 20:50:41

I'm thinking clean and mop the kitchen and bathroom, and vacuum the lounge, dining room and three bedrooms. Is that reasonable ? There are lots of other things we could do with help with but I don't want to ask for unreasonable things. And does writing down things helpful or patronising ? Any suggestions welcome !

holeinmyheart Wed 10-Dec-14 23:14:38

Well I think to clean a large room thoroughly takes an hour at least.
Vacuum the cloth coverings on the furniture. Dust the pictures and polish all the glass in the room. Clean the inside of the windows. Polish and dust all the wooden surfaces and mop the floor. Look up and dust the lampshades and look for cobwebs, and dust all skirting boards and vacuum curtains. Phew! That's my sitting room done.
I have cleaner and I have to be realistic as it depends on how thoroughly I want the cleaning to be done.
I usually get her to do jobs I am not keen on such as getting all the stuff out of the cutlery draw and cleaning it. Or getting all the stuff out of the kitchen cabinets and putting new lining paper down and then replacing and tidying the cupboard contents. I do make a list and she ticks it off.
It is difficult having a servant, though, as what will you do if you don't like him/her ?
I would say that initially you want a trial run to see if you suit, then you can get rid of her/ him if necessary.

Redorwhitejusthaveboth Thu 11-Dec-14 01:10:33

Mine does floors and surfaces in 2 hours. That's 3 bathrooms, downstairs loo, 4 bedrooms, lounge, kitchen,dining room and playroom. Basic clean - Hoover, dust, clean surfaces, mop floors, empty bins, clean out microwave. She's a bloody marvel

FlatCapAndAWhippet Thu 11-Dec-14 01:11:16

Servant hmm

Redorwhitejusthaveboth Thu 11-Dec-14 01:21:34

Mine does floors and surfaces in 2 hours. That's 3 bathrooms, downstairs loo, 4 bedrooms, lounge, kitchen,dining room and playroom. Basic clean - Hoover, dust, clean surfaces, mop floors, empty bins, clean out microwave. She's a bloody marvel

Redorwhitejusthaveboth Thu 11-Dec-14 01:23:09

Didn't mean to post twice shock

Please don't think you of your cleaner as your servant.... confusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfused

chaletian Thu 11-Dec-14 01:38:45

We have a contract with a cleaning company where it is 2 girls come in for 1 hour a week (so 2 hours cleaning). 1 starts in the bathroom and guts that and the other in the kitchen (basically the jobs I cba with - tiles, skirting boards, etc) then when they've done those they lightly clean the other rooms that I keep on top of (bedrooms, etc) works for us anyway

florentina1 Thu 11-Dec-14 17:38:10

My cleaner does 3 hours every week. She cleans every surface, washes paintwork tiles and floors .On alternate weeks she cleans windows, upstairs one week then downstairs. I would say definitely give her a list it is not patronising it is professional. I doubt that she will find you asking 'unreasonable things' provided they are discussed beforehand and she is given enough time.

didireallysaythat Thu 11-Dec-14 20:48:26

Thanks everyone. We talked about it today and we're going to see how things go. She is happy for me to write a list of extra things or particular things we want but I think for the first month I'll just let her see how she gets on (the house isn't sparkling so I'd think the first few weeks won't see everything being done). Oh and she offered to change bedclothes and clean the fridge. It's like Xmas come early !

EmNetta Sat 13-Dec-14 22:17:37

One of mine (alternate weeks) actually asked me for a list, so I try to remember, at least when weather's not good enough for gardening, which she's also happy to do. Most people get faster once they can find everything/know the house, so best to allow more time in beginning. Having a "trial period" is a good idea too, and means it's easier to end relationship tactfully if necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now