Talk

Advanced search

Valspar paint have we messed up?!

(45 Posts)
user1479289699 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:20:01

We've just had 15l of valspar v500 blend mixed at local b&q after being convinced innstore that it's better than dulux easycare. Came home and looked it up and am horrified by really bad reviews and even watchdog getting involved about the bad smell.

B&q won't take it back unless "there's a problem with the paint". Decorator is coming tomorrow.

Valspar say the bad paint should all be fixed and new batches should be fine so I'm wondering if anyone has bought it recently and still had problems?

Hesitant to lose £120 by buying new paint straight away so thinking to risk it and hope there's no issues!!

user1479289699 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:20:53

By the way I don't think it's the premium one which seems to have better reviews. It's the v500

NobbyNobberson Sun 12-Nov-17 15:39:51

We used valspar in our living room - never again.

The coverage was crap, I think it must have PVA glue in it because it started to dry in weird sheets, the colour was completely different to what we were expecting and when we got a sample sized pot to patch a corner, it was totally different, and worst of all it stinks. We painted in the summer and when the sun shines on a wall it smells like plastic.

Never again

user1479289699 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:41:23

Uh oh. I don't know what to do sad

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 12-Nov-17 15:43:15

We have only used valsparpaint.co.uk throughout our entire house and its been just fine. Though we did finish painting over a year ago. Hopefully you will have an OK batch.

NobbyNobberson Sun 12-Nov-17 15:43:29

You might have better luck. Hard to believe a national chain is using this as their main product without it being ok

flissfloss65 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:45:25

I used it in my bedroom. The paint was true to colour and went on well. But it really smelled vile. After a month I could still smell the weird odour so repainted the whole room with Dulux and the smell went.

Can you not try a bit then take it back saying it smells odd?

squashyhat Sun 12-Nov-17 15:51:06

I'm just using it to paint my kitchen. Thr coverage is a bit crap but I haven't noticed any smell.

user1479289699 Sun 12-Nov-17 16:03:16

I think we will try a bit and see. I guess we will tell straight away if it smells? Only thing painter is coming tomorrow so just waste of time if we need to do patches

StatueInTheSky Sun 12-Nov-17 16:07:23

our B&Q had massive giant tubs of white emulsion! ....I was tempted, but remembered the stink stories, so went with the basic range that I have been using without issue.

Good luck OP!

Wigglewiggletime Sun 12-Nov-17 16:17:15

We used the valspar premium type paint in our bedroom in April, thankfully haven't had any issues with it. The colour was quite different to what we were expecting but it's nice and I like it. I don't know if I'd dare buy it again due to the smell issue, but if they say they've fixed it then it should be ok. Good luck op!

magpiemay Sun 12-Nov-17 16:23:28

We’ve used Valdosta premium throughout our house and found it far better than dulux!

Never had an issue with coverage or off colours and never noticed a bad smell!

Let us know how it goes!

magpiemay Sun 12-Nov-17 16:23:52

*valspar premium!

Mascarawandlady Sun 12-Nov-17 16:26:54

We've got valsper in our bedroom. Absolutely fine.

CannotEvenThink Sun 12-Nov-17 16:27:34

Our whole house is valspar premium and it has been fine. Went with it for the scrubbable properties. All on new plaster.

SassySausageSupper Sun 12-Nov-17 16:29:01

I used it maybe 2 weeks ago and it’s totally fine. Doesn’t smell at all. Coverage was fine.

JigglyTuff Sun 12-Nov-17 16:30:07

They've fixed the smell problem at massive expense so that bit should be fine. Can't vouch for the coverage

helpfulperson Sun 12-Nov-17 17:41:42

I've just had my whole house done in valspar. Decorator never made any comments about coverage. It did smell for about 4 weeks but is fine now and I know they have sorted the issue. I had a colourmatch done on my wallpaper and the colour of the paint is spot on.

prettypetal Sun 12-Nov-17 17:54:25

I used valspar all over my house, in every room ( approx 18 months ago ) absolutely no problems whatsoever, great coverage, no smell different to any other paint, it’s scrubbable. I must have bought about 20 litres of it ( mixed at B&Q ) I too would have been concerned if I had come back & read what you have. I originally purchased Dulux for my kitchen but I ended going over that with valspar, it was a dream to use, I loved it & I still do.

1Vandal Sun 12-Nov-17 18:12:42

I used the premium valspar a couple of months ago in my flat and smelt fine and smell was gone after it dried. Colour perfect match to sample

user1479289699 Sun 12-Nov-17 22:23:28

Thank you everyone will speak to the decorator tomorrow see if he can do a little patch whilst he does other rooms. I have read the premium is good - unfortunately ours isn't the premium it's the v500 which I think is standard 😩

iggleypiggly Sun 12-Nov-17 22:40:22

We've used valspar in our bedrooms and it's fine!

RunningOutOfCharge Sun 12-Nov-17 22:53:03

The v500 will be fine op

What colour is it? If it’s a pale/neutral going over similiar then you’ll be ok

AirandMungBeans Sun 12-Nov-17 22:59:49

We used the V500 on our lounge today. It was a bit thin and needed a few coats, but the colour is true to the little card thingy and I can't say I've noticed a smell.

wasthataburp Sun 12-Nov-17 23:01:17

It's crap. We bought some and the painter we hired refused to use it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: