Talk

Advanced search

Flooring that doesn't show the dirt

(11 Posts)
CaptainHarville Thu 30-Mar-17 23:18:33

I'm replacing the laminate floor in our kitchen. It has not lasted well and is also constantly dirty looking because I foolishly chose a light colour. We're now considering tiling it or putting karndean down. Either way I want a floor that doesn't show the dirt too much. Any recommendations as to how I achieve this? Is it possible?

Decorhate Fri 31-Mar-17 06:20:44

I've got ceramic tiles a bit like these www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/florence-oyster-ceramic-wall--floor-tile-4-pack-451325

The mottled pattern is good for hiding dirt!

camelfinger Fri 31-Mar-17 06:31:00

We have dark grey porcelain tiles. They show up all the surprisingly large number of white bits that hang around our home. And the slightest splash of water dries whitish on it (hard water area). No suggestions but I went for dark to try to not show up the dirt and it's still obvious.

PinxTheTinxMinx Fri 31-Mar-17 07:08:38

I think the lighter the floor the better, we have a dark floor and it's the bane of my life. I'm constantly sweeping/mopping/picking bits up it drives me insane.

So lighter floor or lower your standards wink

wowfudge Fri 31-Mar-17 07:24:51

I disagree - you need a mid colour to hide dust and dirt. Something which isn't all one colour will be better than a solid colour too.

CaptainHarville Fri 31-Mar-17 10:22:27

So mottled colour not too dark or too light! I've been looking at porcelain slate tiles which I think would work naturally DH doesn't like them!

I have low standards already I just want a floor that camouflages my low standards.

CaptainHarville Fri 31-Mar-17 10:23:18

Hasn't considered water splashes changing the colour so will check that too.

Tubbyinthehottub Fri 31-Mar-17 11:05:42

I've got porcelain wood effect tiles in my kitchen and they are pretty good at hiding dirt. They sound hideous and I wasn't keen on 'fake' wood but had to get them to fit the underfloor heating in without raising the floor level. I'm actually really pleased we got them now as they are indestructible and look good too.
I have quite dark grey tiles in a bathroom and they are very good at hiding hair, dust, fluff (slattern).

fairislecable Fri 31-Mar-17 23:46:48

I have African Slate in my kitchen diner, it is wonderful for disguising dirt.

You don't notice it needs mopping until you look at tha soles on the toddlers white socks!

SchnitzelVonKrumm Fri 14-Apr-17 14:04:49

Noooo, we have porcelain slate tiles in our utility room, they show every speck of dust. Thank god we didn't put them in the kitchen. We have wood effect tiles on the bathroom floor, they're very forgiving. Think these are ours - they're nicer than in the picture (and, er, we don't have them up the walls!)

bubblepops Mon 17-Apr-17 20:46:29

www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Madeira-Light-Oak-Porcelain-Tile-840-x-140mm/p/140960 we got some very similar to these, don't show anything! have a cat and very fluffy dog been in around 2years now and are so hard wearing and wash so well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now