HSMMaCM Mon 18-Sep-17 19:38:17

How is everyone settling in?

DD starts on Wednesday.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Mon 18-Sep-17 19:40:30

Good luck for your DD

BestIsWest Mon 18-Sep-17 19:48:55

Good luck for Wednesday.

MorvahRising Mon 18-Sep-17 19:49:38

Marking my place! DS starts on Saturday.

Horsemad Mon 18-Sep-17 19:49:59

Wow, that last thread filled up quickly! smile

Sorry to hear some students are not happy. I would say, that although I'd be the same and wanting to dash off and collect them (and I may well be doing that myself next week after DS goes), just try and reassure them that things WILL settle down once lectures start.

I do think far too much emphasis is placed on Freshers and it can be hugely overwhelming.

OddBoots Mon 18-Sep-17 19:52:22

I hope the planning and packing stage is going well, HSMMaCM.

After all my worrying about how DS will cope socially (he has ASD) he seems to be having a reasonable amount of social interaction. He seems to have nice flatmates but it is friends he has made on FB uni group over the past few months that he is spending most of his socialtime with. I think that is a good thing really.

pixelchick10 Mon 18-Sep-17 19:55:30

My DD goes Sat - she bought herself a potato masher and a memory foam pillow today 👩‍⚕️

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Mon 18-Sep-17 19:58:01

horse

To be fair to ds1 he might not be down...I'm only getting texts

Plus he is probably exhausted grin

Kids a party animal

HSMMaCM Mon 18-Sep-17 19:59:58

DD has done nearly all her packing today grin. She's packed some stuff in one of DH's bags which is apparently super expensive and there's no way it's going near uni. Fresh food shopping tomorrow afternoon (who knows what she'll come back with). Dinner with us and the not a boyfriend. Then we're set to go early Wednesday, via the GP for an early morning appointment.

We are going to be late, but it can't be helped and it's not the day everyone arrives.

Sparklingbrook Mon 18-Sep-17 20:00:33

It has only been 48 hours. Seems so much longer.

No communication from DS1 since Saturday night. Mmm.

HSMMaCM Mon 18-Sep-17 20:00:52

Oh and she's arranged for a friend to visit on Sunday. I hope it doesn't mean missing something with. New acquaintances.

BizzyFizzy Mon 18-Sep-17 20:00:59

DD had her first lecture today, which she, unfortunately, said was boring. It was an introduction to the course so she did not have high expectations.

Horsemad Mon 18-Sep-17 20:01:30

It's hard to tell over text sometimes Rufus isn't it? smile

Sparklingbrook Mon 18-Sep-17 20:08:32

In a way I wish we could just fast forward to Christmas from this point and see what has happened. Will he be back home having not liked it at all or will he be loving it? Time will tell.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Mon 18-Sep-17 20:09:22

Absolutely

I made him promise me that i woukd get a text/emoji every day for a few weeks so i knew he was alive

Am i getting them?

No im bloody not grin

Haffdonga Mon 18-Sep-17 20:10:19

Catching up with all the news. flowers for everyone. I think we all deserve them.

We dropped ds off on Saturday in a fairly trauma-free and calm move relative to his brother's stressful and grumpy drop off 2 years ago. We've just spoken to him and he is feeling extremely delicate after a big night out with all his new flatmates last night. Apparently they all feel sick today and have decided they all have freshers flu. So absolutely nothing to do with the excessive alcohol intake then. hmm

He's with 6 sociable and chatty girls and 2 extremely shy boys, all nice. Apparently they weren't even sure if one of the boys had moved in or not because he literally didn't come out of his room for 24 hours. I thought of some of you with socially uncomfortable sons. Ds himself is shy so I was really pleased he said they'd gone and knocked on the lad's door and encouraged him to come out of his room and meet them in the living room.

They've decided not to go out tonight because it's raining. wink

LittleHo Mon 18-Sep-17 20:11:14

Its is still ages until dd goes. Two weeks!

Most of her friends have left for other universities now so she is a bit at a loose end.

Sparklingbrook Mon 18-Sep-17 20:12:52

Two weeks Little? Might as well wait til after Christmas now.

OddBoots Mon 18-Sep-17 20:15:27

LittleHo - that must feel odd. As tough as it is now with ds gone the weeks of knowing it was going to happen and we were just waiting for it was harder in some ways; so many more 'what ifs' and things I worried we might forget.

Sparklingbrook Mon 18-Sep-17 20:30:33

When are any of your DC planning on coming home for the first time? My Victorian Dad was saying DS1 shouldn't come home for the first month at least.

TheMightyMing Mon 18-Sep-17 20:30:46

Found you all! Whilst my husband and I are still very sad, DS is enjoying life so far. Went out with a group last night and drank too much, is out again tonight with his flat mates. Managed to make his way to uni for an induction tomorrow and has to enrol tomorrow.

Does anyone know about the finance, it said that first payment would be today , but he hasn't had anything and I don't think his friends have? He's fine for money, I'm just checking,

Sparklingbrook Mon 18-Sep-17 20:31:55

I was wondering that Mighty. DS1 needs to check his bank account. I am worried that the rent will be taken before the grant goes in or something.

Crispsheets Mon 18-Sep-17 20:33:46

Ds just rung crying shock
He went out last night but doesn't want to drink tonight. Has met a couple of nice boys in his halls. He feels a bit aimless.....no routine yet.

user327854831 Mon 18-Sep-17 20:34:30

We've had instagram and FB messages and a text message asking about the best way to cook kidney beans. Today they had to officially register on their course and got their text books. I've not heard anything about finance, I'll have to check.

We're seeing them on Friday to take some stuff that they forgot! grin

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Mon 18-Sep-17 20:41:46

Well ds1 is coming home next friday for the funeral but i dont know if its for the day or whether he will come home for the weekend

We have told him that we will come up or he can come home whenever he wants but if we didnt see him before we will come up for the day over half term

It really depends in his timetable which he doesn't get til the end of the week...or early next week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now